General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do You Ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013 | 10:06 PM
wooly1
|
Advanced
Default Why Do You Ride ?

With all the talk about what did you do to your bike, How about something we all have in common.....Why do you ride a bike?
I will tell you what it means to me, i enjoy the smell's that you dont get while driveing a car especially that bar-b-que cooking something good while cruising down the road, or that nasty what the hell was that smell. the urge to hit the throttle go thru the gears on a nice winding road.the feel the power that you sit on. and it gives you alot of quality time to think or in some cases talk to your self.
i could go on and on been doing it for years and love it. also having good conservations with others you meet on the road and the courious questions you get from people that dont ride........ So Why Do You Ride?

Old 01-08-2013 | 10:11 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

I ride because I allways have and because I don't like to push my bike. LOL

Seriously, Your views pretty much sum it up. Every time I park my bike, I'm thinking about my next ride.

Old 01-08-2013 | 10:21 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Because my ex-wife said I couldn't.

Old 01-08-2013 | 10:37 PM
one-up
Road Warrior

First, I ride because of the flat out thrill of it. Driving a sports car is fun and maybe thrilling, but not as thrilling as a motorcycle. Riding the Dragon or Pikes Peak in a car - why bother? The feel of being on 2 wheels - it's like..........I can't describe it. Throwing a leg over all that power, the speed, the wind, the sound of a Harley with loud, but good sounding pipes - I love it. Road trips - man that is freedom, being gone for a week or two (or more if you're lucky). Riding with buddies, or even alone on a road trip just sets you free. Also, I think there is something about having control of a powerful machine. Kinda like a cowboy and his horse back in the old west. Okay, I'm startin' to slobber...........

I also ride for the social aspect. I ride with the American Legion Riders and Patriot Guard - two groups that I truely believe in and support.

Okay, now you know why I ride. Who's next?

Last edited by one-up; 01-08-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2013 | 10:50 PM
mjbones
Cruiser

I got my first bike when I was 16 that was 53 years ago,been riding ever since. Alot of my friends ask me that same qestion , why does a 69 year old man take a chance on getting hurt or in a wreck.The answer is those of us that love to ride get such satisfaction from the wind in your face, the sound of those pipes, and the thrill of taking those bends just a little to fast, I guess like a gambler once said " I love the action" those that love to ride know what I mean. I'll ride till I can't hold that darn bike up.

Old 01-08-2013 | 10:52 PM
tom071200c
Road Master

I ride for the sheer enjoyment of it. Like others have said, the smells, the elements, the temperature changes. All the things you don't get to experience in a car/truck. I never really thought of riding til my friends talked me into the Sportster about 5 years ago. Ever since then, I have been hooked. Throwing a leg over the RK just makes any day that much better.

Old 01-08-2013 | 11:02 PM
FyrFtrMistress
Advanced

^^^ What they all said!

Old 01-08-2013 | 11:04 PM
Tinman265
Road Master

Just makes the frustration melt away...........

Old 01-09-2013 | 12:23 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

I ride because I enjoy not having a cage around me.
Wind and elements, sights, sounds and the sky above, it's a great feeling.

Old 01-09-2013 | 12:54 AM
68 Shovelking
Tourer

For me it's all about the lean angle, even on an 800lb barge it's a lot of fun to push it a bit in the corners and move with the machine as you lean from corner to corner. A convertible will deliver the sounds and smells, but it's only slightly better than riding in a bus otherwise. I'm big into dirt biking, and it's far more exciting than riding a HD, but not better, just different. The HD is far more social, and my girl loves to ride, so the two of us and who ever we're riding with can experience the ride together. That element is completely lost in a cage. I currently own 7 bikes, 3 HD's, and 4 dirt bikes, I hope to be on 2 wheels until I'm done.

Quick Reply: Why Do You Ride ?