General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do You Ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013 | 08:09 AM
McFrosty
Cruiser
Default Freedom

I guess only other riders can really "get it". My reasons are the same as all the others have already stated- to feel the wind in my face, feel the changes in temperature of the air as you ride, enjoying the sights & smells & the "feel" of the world around you as you fly down the road. Getting out on the open road, the sense of freedom from everything- just you & your bike. I also enjoy riding with my Club- the sounds of a group of bikes all roaring down the road, exhaust tones all harmonizing, riding side by side at speed with my bud's, the sense of brotherhood.
I've been riding since I was 15 and now at 56 it still gives me the same kick as it did back when I started. I actually start feeling depressed or "itchy"- if I don't ride after a couple of days.
Happy Trails to all!

Old 01-09-2013 | 08:38 AM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wooly1
With all the talk about what did you do to your bike, How about something we all have in common.....Why do you ride a bike?
I will tell you what it means to me, i enjoy the smell's that you dont get while driveing a car especially that bar-b-que cooking something good while cruising down the road, or that nasty what the hell was that smell. the urge to hit the throttle go thru the gears on a nice winding road.the feel the power that you sit on. and it gives you alot of quality time to think or in some cases talk to your self.
i could go on and on been doing it for years and love it. also having good conservations with others you meet on the road and the courious questions you get from people that dont ride........ So Why Do You Ride?
Mostly because I find it a bit faster than walking.....

On another note..... It just dawned on my that your description is EXACTLY like bangin' the ol' lady. Especially the part about the "nasty smells" and "time to talk to myself"

Old 01-09-2013 | 09:01 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

Investment-savings,
versus $100/hr for a therapist I will be able to justify a CVO soon.

Old 01-09-2013 | 09:10 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

To get an even tan. In a cage my left arm was always a lot more tan than the right.

Old 01-09-2013 | 09:10 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter

Originally Posted by Smokengun
Best part for me is when no one is home to "have to" stay home for. (i.e. wife and kid are at grandmas overnight). Then I have the whole day and night for me and the bike. I love to get on that big ole rollin couch, relax and cruise to no where. Or find a good hotdog joint. I tend to go a little slower than the speed limit as well. Low rpm's, deep rumble. It's very relaxing for me.

It's also said that you'll never find a motorcycle parked out front a therapists office. I believe that wholeheartedly.

I guess i knew it would come up at some point about the therapist.... I honestly believe that riding a bike does give one the opportunity to be introspective and think about their day; their life; their current situation. It helps to melt the stress away and takes you to a better place - a place of freedom and true control over yourself.

I am a Therapist and I do park my bike outside my office; however, I can honestly say that none of my patients come on bikes. lol. So I would modify the above quote to say: "If you see a bike parked in front of a psychiatrist's or therapist's office; it probably belongs to them"!

Best mental health therapy you can get for the price of a bike (any bike)!

Old 01-09-2013 | 10:35 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 94ruck
I have ridden bikes since 19749 when I was 8 ........
Hey , do you come from the future? how's things in that era? are Harley still around and are they finally water-cooled?

Old 01-09-2013 | 10:47 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

I ride to be in life, not be an observer.

Sun, Rain, Snow, Cold, Night, All The Seasons, they all have their own flavor....I love them all..

Attached Thumbnails Why Do You Ride ?-ftw_by_sexy81.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013 | 02:43 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

After riding from '70 to '81, I missed it. And every time I saw a Harley or one going by our house on the highway, I missed it even more. It wasn't until I went into a Harley shop in early Nov. in Dallas and the guy started one up, that I knew I had to get another one. 3 weeks later, I did.

Just riding around on it is fun to me. And I miss it when I can't. The power. The wind. It just makes me happy. Not "good" reasons but it's why I ride.

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:10 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

For all the right reasons

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:13 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

To get away from life for a while.

Quick Reply: Why Do You Ride ?