General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do You Ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013 | 05:22 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Because when I'm riding, I don't have to listen to anybody bitch or complain, and I'm free. Is there anymore of a reason to ride?

Old 01-09-2013 | 05:47 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

I love the wide open space and the long rolling highways. I shut the godforsaken cell phone off, losse the GPS and go out on the road to just be left alone. There something about riders that cagers will never understand and I am not sure if I can explain it, but I know we all can agree that is hard to to beat the feeling of riding in vast wide open spaces with curves and straigts that uplifts us all. Corny I know, but there it is. THese might be able to help exaplain. Pics taken Near big bend and in Mexico on my 2004 road king, and my sold sporty, I need to get some better photos of the Limited back home in Boston this summer. Ride safe to all.

Attached Thumbnails Why Do You Ride ?-020.jpg   Why Do You Ride ?-022.jpg   Why Do You Ride ?-026.jpg   Why Do You Ride ?-me-and-the-open-raod-in-the-middle-of-no-where.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013 | 06:00 AM
TheBig-O
Tourer

So the question asked is "what do I like about riding". Well for starters I like knowing the difference between a good bike and a not so good bike . I like knowing my bike and maintaining it properly. I like the feeling I get when I'm tuned to my surrounding environment and I like working at improving my riding skills . I like being responsible for myself , especially on long road trips . I like being responsible for my BSR and enjoy the trust she has in me . I like doing something that most people don't do . I like that it never gets old . Each ride is a new experience and I'm always looking forward to the next one . I like being a little different .

Old 01-09-2013 | 06:10 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

You can't taste the changes in the air in a cage.

Old 01-09-2013 | 06:11 AM
LimitedLou
Tourer

Been rideing since age of 14.. It must be the freedom you get when rideing.. One on One.... Great therapy...

Old 01-09-2013 | 06:28 AM
FrankCaputo
Tourer

In a word....Freedom! I can do things and feel things on a bike that I never do in a cage.

I can feel the coolness of the air when I pass through a pine forest area that hasn't seen the sun all day. I can ride with buddies and I have no interest in vehicles around me in a cage. I can carve through the turns on the Blue Ridge Parkway or the Tail or the Skyway. When I see another rider, I'm almost always greeted with a wave, and it's always returned. I don't have to utter a sound to anyone on the bike when I have to make myself crystal clear at work.

For the few thousand I spent on the bike, the rewards are priceless.

Good thread....thanks!

Old 01-09-2013 | 06:41 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

The buzzz

Old 01-09-2013 | 07:23 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

So I don't have to see a shrink.

Old 01-09-2013 | 07:47 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

I remember being 6-7 years old and waiting outside a bar, for this guy to come out and give me a ride home on his motorcycle, that he promised me.....9.30 in the evening my parent found me there waiting, all freaked out and glad to have found me, ......Always stopped what I was doing when a motorcycle came along, looked and listened...always knew when I'm grown up, I'll have my own.
I love the freedom, the sounds, the feeling, the rumble....always did- always will.

Last edited by Pete6114; 01-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2013 | 08:08 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

I ride for a whole bunch of reasons , too many to list and some of the main reasons have changed over time as I've been riding now for over 30 yrs ...

The big reasons I ride now are:

I need to - if I dont get to ride and get free, I start to get grumpy and restless

I ride to clear my head and enjoy life " in the moment" and forget about the rest of life's pressures

I ride to spend time with my Mrs and/or my kids and meet new folks and see new places ( build great memories)

I ride with my buddies, to have a great time and see new places ( build great memories)

Quick Reply: Why Do You Ride ?