General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do You Ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013 | 01:28 AM
rbferg
Road Master

I like to ride to clear my mind. Nothing makes the BS roll away like twisting the throttle. It's actually very spiritual to me.

Old 01-09-2013 | 01:36 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

To get laid.

Oh wait; I just remembered. My gf ain't into bikes.

Well, although It isn't as thrilling as it was when I was younger, & I don't ride as much as I did back in the day...it is still the only link with my past that I still enjoy. (well OK; one of 2 things that I still enjoy)

Even if I started hating riding & stopped doing it, I would still own a bike. I just can't see being without a Big Twin in the garage.

Old 01-09-2013 | 02:20 AM
Expat1
Road Master
From: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.

Wife and I prefer delicate odors like wild garlic, Morel mushrooms, gentian to the persistent smell of after-shave or plastic panel demolding solution, the poison we breathe that blurs windshields

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:02 AM
Smokengun
Tourer

Best part for me is when no one is home to "have to" stay home for. (i.e. wife and kid are at grandmas overnight). Then I have the whole day and night for me and the bike. I love to get on that big ole rollin couch, relax and cruise to no where. Or find a good hotdog joint. I tend to go a little slower than the speed limit as well. Low rpm's, deep rumble. It's very relaxing for me.

It's also said that you'll never find a motorcycle parked out front a therapists office. I believe that wholeheartedly.

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:20 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rbferg
I like to ride to clear my mind. Nothing makes the BS roll away like twisting the throttle. It's actually very spiritual to me.
....... When I am on my bike the BS just floats away no worries, no problems. Just me, my bike and the road. Its just makes me feel....free

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:38 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Simply because it makes me feel good!

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:58 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

I ride for the thrill and the adventure and just plain out enjoy it !

Old 01-09-2013 | 04:12 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Agree entirely with all said so far, but then that is hardly surprising when you are talking amongst fellow enthusiasts.

Clearing the BS is absolutely spot on. Thing about riding a bike is you need to get your attention level up higher than driving a car (or you could opt to die instead) and I think that alerted state gets your mind working in different ways. For a start, the line between what is important or trivial becomes a whole lot sharper.

From a social perspective, I love riding with a few mates (3 or 4 bikes is my limit of preference), but here is the irony in it. As much as I love being with the guys and having unbelievable laughs, I really appreciate the fact that whilst riding I get back in to "my space" which no one can invade, so I get to satisfy my introvert cravings and extrovert fix in one go. Imagine doing a road trip in a car with a mate for 3 weeks - done it and enjoyed it but no where near the same!!

Old 01-09-2013 | 04:26 AM
94ruck
Road Captain

I have ridden bikes since 19749 when I was 8 and rode dirt bikes). i still race off road bikes and ride my harley when the weather is above 45 degrees. I must like riding as i just came back from a serious off road wreck and back to racing..i rode my Harley 3 weeks after my wreck and it felt good.
So, with all of the other answers, feeling good. the sense of owning your own life, taking the bull by the horns, the rush of adrenaline, the open feeling of no cage, the smells (some of which are not good), the feel of the cold air when dipping into a low spot or crossing a river. IT FEELS GOOD and hiehgtens my sensory intake.

Old 01-09-2013 | 05:19 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Almost nothing makes me feel more alive than riding. Catching those pockets of cold air, listening to leaves crunch under my tires, feeling the raindrops on my face. I ride because I love to ride.

Quick Reply: Why Do You Ride ?