General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learn From Our Mistakes: Lessons In Crash Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

As a new rider, I can tell you that threads like this are invaluable as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes than make my own and end up hurt!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM
PHXBiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes a good thread, always helpful to have a refresher and learn from others experiences. It's impossible to imagine every possible hazard scenario out there and what to do in your split second to avoid it. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 AM
Luxer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
As a new rider, I can tell you that threads like this are invaluable as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes than make my own and end up hurt!
Biggest thing I could say to help is what I follow each time I get on my bike...if they are in a car and on the road, then they are guilty...it just hasn't happened yet. They will swerve into me, pull out in front of me, not see me in some kind of blindspot, pull out into the intersection and whatever other possible scenario that you could think of. I couldn't tell you how many times anticipating something ended up getting me home safely at the end of the day. Good luck with it and don't let it sway you...I still couldn't go without riding even with the issues that we have to deal with...nothing like it.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

8 years ago i came over a hill on a back road and there was a german shepard standing in the middle of the road. it knocked me out, also knocked out 2 teeth (got new ones), had on a carhartt coat so that stopped a lot of the road rash but what i had was still bad.

Now I go slower in blind spots and always expect the unexpected

Old 03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Lil ole ladies

When I was 24, an old lady, (probably 55) stopped on a green right turn arrow because she wanted to make sure no one was coming. I went to her left, hit loose gravel and I went down. This was in 1968. Being young, I was following too close, going too fast, being too cocky and impatient.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Let's see... I could read threads about where to put my gas cap or fingerless gloves, or I could be schooled in situations that cost people skin and pain. Hmmm. This seems much more useful.
If I had ever had a crash, I would contribute my lessons learned. My only mishap in 30+ years (knock on wood and I pray I haven't jinxed anything) was on my first bike when I learned to keep it neutral when backing out of a parking space with the bike running. My fingers slipped off the clutch and the bike left me sitting on my azz. Bad part was, it went through the First Sergeant's brand new fence, and he was pretty PO'd.

I am looking forward to reading more of your experience. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

i have learned that if a car comes up quickly to a stop sign its a pretty good chance its going to leave quickly and in alot of cases they just look very quickly to the left and to the right and they have much more of a chance not seeing you.--------ive never heard anyone say that its just something i have come to be aware of as that is what happened when i got taken out....and it makes sense to me that its true.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM
falsealarm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default safety

Always ride like I am invisible Nobody sees me

Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
WTF? Did this turn into a Dr. F'n Phil site or something? Good God get a grip dudes! Anyway, back to the subject at hand.I got hit 8 years ago. I was on the highway and according to the driver behind me the chick pulled out in front of me at the last second. I don't remember any of it because I ended up getting my head smashed in and apparently you lose a little memory of events before the head smashing. Always assume that drivers in ANY intersection can and probably will pull out in front of you. I've made it a point to ride left of center ever since. It gives just a little more time to react in a situation should one come up.
Mr. Oxymoron, Thank you for your input!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 AM
bluecollarjoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the obvious foolish errors I made in my younger years, I saw this one happen right in front of my house:

On a downhill curve heading west, an experienced rider if following a truck with a horse trailer. The truck slows way down to turn right (horses don't like sharp turns), the biker moves up on it in the left third of the lane and then passes the corner of the trailer as soon as there's room in the lane. The car waiting at that stop sign turns out to the left right in front of him and he is killed at a relatively slow speed (30-45?). I think of this nightmare at nearly every intersection. Slowing vehicles are a reason to increase your distance, not decrease it. This allows you to "see and be seen" better and gives you more reaction time. I also constantly adjust my lane position to best see and be seen and give me the best emergency escape route. Like other have said, no matter what you do or wear, just assume nobody sees you-ever. At red lights, I pick an escape route and then focus on the rear view mirrors and tap my BAL tailight a few times until the cage behind me comes to a complete stop. All this may be just common sense to most, but if helps just one newbie focus better on preserving their life, it was worth a few minutes or our time (IMHO).

Quick Reply: Learn From Our Mistakes: Lessons In Crash Prevention