General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learn From Our Mistakes: Lessons In Crash Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackfly
Man SG, you can be ornery, huh ? Why don't you give some advice of your own, it seems it's always "everyone should know all this" with you.
Don't forget some poeple know less than everything.
BAH, you don't know what ornery is. I didn't say that everyone should know everything, but what I've read on this thread, are all things that someone who wants to survive a ride should already know. Pay attention, patience, don't trust anyone, etc., etc. - they're all basic "rules" that you shouldn't have to get into an accident to learn.

My advice: if this is new or unknown information to you, then you should take a basic rider's course.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
My advice: if this is new or unknown information to you, then you should take a basic rider's course.
This is what I thought you meant the first time...but I had to read between your ornery words.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
BAH, you don't know what ornery is. I didn't say that everyone should know everything, but what I've read on this thread, are all things that someone who wants to survive a ride should already know. Pay attention, patience, don't trust anyone, etc., etc. - they're all basic "rules" that you shouldn't have to get into an accident to learn.

Learning everything you need to know in a basic rider's course certainly has a lot of merit. But hearing this stuff from people who have "Been There, Done That, Got the Road Rash (or hospital bills) - well, personal experience lends a certain authority to the teacher. I like the thread. Guess I'm a better multi-media learner. And, I need the reminders. Good memory. But it's short.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't ride in the blind spot.....

Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

Everyone on 4 wheels is trying to kill you - they may not know it - but they are.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Riding home from work, headed SW on an "urban highway" - two lanes each direction, with grass median and turn lanes. Stopped at the stop light in the left lane and started up when it turned green. 1/4 mile up the road, Soccer Mom in the minivan with three kids pulls out of the parking lot on the right, crosses the empty right-hand lane, and pulls in front of me. I'm doing 40+ on the way to the speed limit of 50, and tried like hell to stop.

I had time to evaluate going to the left of the minivan, but chose not to because the curb there is square, and I didn't want to hit that and slide under her wheels. One witness reported minivan mom hit the brakes before I hit her - she probably looked in the rear-view, saw me, and locked the brakes.

I failed to stop (in part because I locked up the rear wheel) and totalled the bike on the rear bumper. Total damage to the minivan: zero.

Even though I hit her from behind, the cops looked at the skid mark and determined she failed to yield when entering the roadway - she was identified as the cause of the accident, and got a $75+costs ticket. I got $7,000+ for a bike I paid $4,000 for, my boots, helmet, jacket, and gloves.

Lesons:
Sun glare on my un-clean windshield may have contributed to me not seeing the minivan about to leave the parking lot.
I failed to observe the cars in the right lane as we left the stoplight. I didn't know where they were, and so couldn't use the right lane to escape.
I locked up the back brake, and almost instantly released it, then locked it up again, and rode it out.

So when I replaced the bike (thanks to her insurance company - thank you, progressive!) I spent time in the parking lot going roundy roundy, and also going straight and stopping at increasing rates of speed.

I also now practice "urgent" braking at least once per ride - only when I know there is no one behind me, I will grab all the brakes I can to get used to the feeling of brake-until-just-before-the-tire-slides.

I also keep my windshield in the garage, or clean it when it's on the bike.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:48 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to consider adjusting or cutting down the height of your w/s so that the top is 2-3" below your normal line if sight.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

Don't be in a big hurry, bad things happen quickly so give yourself time to react. Also, watch cars like a hawk and ask yourself if it is physically possible for a motorist to do something (for example pull out in front of you, lock up the brakes for no reason, turn without signalling, dart towards an exit from two lanes over, etc, ad nauseum). If something is possible, be ready for it. Also, use the pipes and horn when you can.

By the way, I actually saw some dipshit lock up his car brakes (no ABS) on the freeway doing 70 - arguing with his girlfriend. Watched it all unfold about 50 yards back. He didn't flip it but ended up in the next lane. Scary stuff.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Also, scan that 12 seconds that they advise in the MSF course. Saturday 2 of us were riding staggered, I was behind my friend, we approached a left curve at 80mph on the freeway and I noticed a car ahead in our lane swerve around an object in the road. I pulled out into the center lane (I knew no other vehicle was adjacent to me in the right lane) and my friend just saw it in time - a ladder across our lane!!
When we got off the freeway at our first traffic light he was still a little shook up and surprised I'd seen it before he had. I told him that I'm always scanning as I ride and watching cars up ahead, road surface as well as constantly checking my mirrors for what vehicles are around me.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Luxer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soft 02
Yep. Dont ride like a young peckerwood whose late for work. Time and pain will teach you that one.
+1 to this. Get kissed by a grill hunting you down through an intersection and you'll learn the fine art of anticipation!

Soft 02 - that is one gorgeous Trumpet bobber in your profile photo!

Quick Reply: Learn From Our Mistakes: Lessons In Crash Prevention