General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Booz and a ride...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Booz and a ride...

ORIGINAL: BigJfxdwg

I can't believe some of the crap I'm reading here. Nobody here said that you can't go out and have a couple while ona ride, but to say, "What do you care if someone or myself gets drunk and drives" is one of the dumbest things. Why do I care if you get drunk and drive?, well it has nothing to do with you killing yourself, go right ahead, it's the other people you hurt that I care about. When I see a guy go drink himself stupid and drive into a tree is say, "Hey it's his own fault." but when the same guy drives into a kid on the side of the rode riding his bicylce or the family that was out minding there own business then that's what pisses me off. I'm all for getting rid of helmet and seatbelt laws, I call it thinning the herd. But driving drunk is not cool.
the original poster said drink alcohol and drive your bike. No mention was made of the amount of alcohol.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
NakedDonna
6th Gear

Thanks 06TexasClassic, thats sweet, are things realy bigger and better out there??

Old 02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,442 Likes on 4,357 Posts

[sm=popcorn.gif]somebody send the kids to bed!
ORIGINAL: NakedDonna

Thanks 06TexasClassic, thats sweet, are things realy bigger and better out there??

Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't drink and ride. I have a tremendous tolerance. I've gone drink to drink with my wife and done a breathalizer. She was at .13 and I was at .03. I'm big and metabolize slowly. And given all that, I STILL don't drink and ride.

If I go to the bar and have a couple of beers I'll take the cage. Too many drinking and riding stories have "tree", "fracture" and "hospital" in them...

Old 02-05-2007, 07:16 PM
gconklin
Road Master

ORIGINAL: LOTHAR

the original poster said drink alcohol and drive your bike. No mention was made of the amount of alcohol.
Yea, that was my bad, man. I later cleared it (at least thought I did) and Adam did it better. I take the blame for not being clearer from the beginning.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: petemac

You're kidding right? Why do you feel this need to attack people for drinking? You come across as wanting to save the great unwashed drinkers from themselves.I don't drink when I'm riding my bike, but if someone else does it's theirbusiness, not mine.You sound like you're running for president of yourlocal politically correct chapter.

I'm more afraid of getting run over by soccer moms in their minivanstalking on their cell or the 80 year old in hisGrand Marquis than I am ofdrunk drivers.

Father, I have sinned. I thought about having a drink last night and I feel so dirty.

ORIGINAL: gconklin

Continually calling people stupid who can handle a beer or two and still drive is well stupid.
Earl,

If you saw someone take a loaded .45 magnum to their head, what would you call them?

Exactly. Stupid drivers are waayyy more dangerous than moderately drunk drivers, and they are stupid ALL the time.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:32 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: Psycho

Earl,

If you saw someone take a loaded .45 magnum to their head, what would you call them?
Exactly. Stupid drivers are waayyy more dangerous than moderately drunk drivers, and they are stupid ALL the time.

I knew there was something here that didn't sit quite right. If I saw a person put a .45 Magnum to their head I would call them damn inventive. There is a .44 Magnum and .45 Caliber ACP but in 30+ years of dealing with firearms I have yet to see a .45 Magnum.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 PM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't drink and drive, and I don't drink and ride. Period.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:43 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My response to gconklin is although your intention is good, your approach may seem to some of us drinkers as a bit much on the authoritative side. It's okay to be strong in your beliefs, another thing entirely to force those beliefs upon your brothers.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Onry1
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

Continually calling people stupid who can handle a beer or two and still drive is well stupid.
My sentiments exactly.

I'm relatively new to the boards and while I initially found them to be an excellent source of HD related information. I have, equally, in turn found them to be littered with individuals readily and ever so prematurely willing to berate, bash, and slander their fellow biker brethren solely because he may live a different lifestyle, have a differing of opinion, or god forbid, ride something other than a Harley.

Sure, I've had a cold Coor's Light while out on an afternoon run with the fellas. Do I drink to excess? Of course not. The most I'll have while out and about is 2-3 beers. And this is to be spaced out througout the course of the riding day with burgers and barbecue mixed in between. Am I stupid and irresponsible (as some of you would suggest) because of my doing this? I beg to differ.

And yes, I'm no stranger to the whole 'drunk driving'.....thing. As a freshman in college, I was at a stop light when rear ended by a car purportedly going 55 miles per hour; knocking me across the intersection and head on into the car opposite the lane. The guy was drunk. Just this past summer, I was on a business trip in Houston, Texas when a drunk guy fell asleep at the wheel going around 75 mph and slammed right into my drivers side. Had I had my arm hanging out the window, it would have been history. So yeah, I know the deal drunk driving can cause. No doubt.

That said, I don't go around calling people STUPID because they dane to have ONE or TWO cold ones over the course of an 8 to 10 hour day. Further to the point, there is a lot of bullshit out there that WE ALL pay for in terms of individuals irresponsible and dangerous behavior. So I would suggest that all you guys get off your high horse and take a strong hard look AT YOUR OWN LIVES AND OF THOSE AROUND YOU. I'll bet your *** that you're sure to find SOMETHING in terms of their behavioral attributes that leads to someone else footin' the bill for it somewhere down the line.
Amen brother, I got the next round!

Quick Reply: Booz and a ride...