General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Booz and a ride...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Booz and a ride...

ORIGINAL: IRready

What do you care what anyone else does?We have enough big brother and don't need you as another one. There are laws and we each decide what we do. You may think something is stupid, and I may think something is obvious, such as bad decision to drink too much and drive anything. Here is an example, I think your thread is stupid. People know their boundries and will live with their decisions, not you.[:@]
This I take issue with. I've seen too many families ripped apart by drunk driving. It is NOT something that only effects you. If that were the case, fine, those of you who want to get wasted, be my guest. BUT IT DOESN"T. IT EFFECTS THE PEOPLE YOU MAY TAKE OUT while drinking and driving.
Oh, and don't think doing it on the bike can make a difference? About six months ago came out of a local coffee shop, gettin on my bike, big accident. I walked over. Everyone who saw it said that a bike caused it - appeared to move into oncoming traffic, cause a car to hit another and another to miss him. The bike went down, but the guy picked it up and drove off. The three or four people in the cages that hit each other as a result of the biker? They were mangled. BAD.
I got no issue with a guy havin a beer or two on a bike - more than likely, if anything you're gonna drop the thing on yourself. But drinking (heavily) and driving or riding puts innocent people at risk and it's NOT JUST YOUR BUSINESS.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you should go to the bar, and ask your question there.
Especially on a friday night.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: NakedDonna

Jibberish....yada...yada......BUT!!!PS. As a girl beleve it or not it makes me horny as hell to ride naked on a bike and somewhat drunk. thanks
This thread is not to progress any further until PICS are produced proving this! Anyone contributing to the actual topic of this thread from this point on until the aforementioned is disproven is banned. You've been warned.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

PICS!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 PM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

ORIGINAL: IRready

What do you care what anyone else does?We have enough big brother and don't need you as another one. There are laws and we each decide what we do. You may think something is stupid, and I may think something is obvious, such as bad decision to drink too much and drive anything. Here is an example, I think your thread is stupid. People know their boundries and will live with their decisions, not you.[:@]
This I take issue with. I've seen too many families ripped apart by drunk driving. It is NOT something that only effects you. If that were the case, fine, those of you who want to get wasted, be my guest. BUT IT DOESN"T. IT EFFECTS THE PEOPLE YOU MAY TAKE OUT while drinking and driving.
Oh, and don't think doing it on the bike can make a difference? About six months ago came out of a local coffee shop, gettin on my bike, big accident. I walked over. Everyone who saw it said that a bike caused it - appeared to move into oncoming traffic, cause a car to hit another and another to miss him. The bike went down, but the guy picked it up and drove off. The three or four people in the cages that hit each other as a result of the biker? They were mangled. BAD.
I got no issue with a guy havin a beer or two on a bike - more than likely, if anything you're gonna drop the thing on yourself. But drinking (heavily) and driving or riding puts innocent people at risk and it's NOT JUST YOUR BUSINESS.
People are missing an important point here. If you injure or kill someone else it is extremely bad and affects many people. If you kill yourself it will greatly affect many people, not just you. How do you think your wife and children are going to be affected by your actions? What if you are unfortunate and don't die in the accident and are crippled from the neck down. Who is going to have the burden for the rest of your life wiping your butt, getting you dressed, bathed etc... Your family. You affect more people than just those involved in the wreck.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

I like to Bar hop on Sunday's, Have a beer at each one, run about 30 to 40 miles between stops, make 6 to 8 bars in a 250 or so mile ride, visit with 100's of good friends on the route. And NO that's not all my bike is for, I average about 10 to 15k miles a year on road trips. I respect anyone that doesn't drink anything while they ride, but then again if they don't like to ride with me having a few beers, I can respect that also.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Glenn_Md
Novice

Someone much earlier in this thread mentioned alcohol is a problem on other recreational vehicles and mentioned boating as more pervasive. As a boater and a rider I learned a long time ago that extended periods on the water has almost the same affect as drinking with delayed reaction times etc. Adding alcohol to that issue never made sense to me even in small quantities. One drink which should not have any significant effect is magnified by 4 hours of sun and motion. I bring this up as riding also requires more energy than riding a cage. Your blood alcohol may be OK, but your reaction time has been severly affected.

My second issue is with organized rides that seem to have their entire purpose in encouraging drinking and riding. I'm surprised that some yuppie bikers haven't gotten hurt and sued the organizers.

Third and last. The argument that multiple years of drinking and riding without an accident making it OK is a hoot. It doesn't qualify for the Darwin award but it does try to perpetuate the myth that "nothing I do affects anyone else". If you have no family, drive on roads that no one else ridesand value your freedom over common sense, then by all means drink up and ride.

Just a thought from someone who tries to put the pieces back together.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bosnmate

ORIGINAL: gconklin

ORIGINAL: Seth

Damn,.......Gconklin,.....I would have thought you did at least one of these things![8D]
Indeed I have, but ceased since being born-again by the grace of GOD.
And btw, I'm not condemning anyone of these either, it was just my response to Earl's "Jesus loves drunkards" comment. He baited and I played along.
Ahh, but nowhere in the bible does it say NOT to drink. Not to get DRUNK yes, but it does not say don't drink. Jesus himself served wine, turned water into wine etc... Wine was served at the Last Supper.
Yeah, but the barman had their keys

Old 02-05-2007, 08:30 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Harleypaw

I like to Bar hop on Sunday's, Have a beer at each one, run about 30 to 40 miles between stops, make 6 to 8 bars in a 250 or so mile ride, visit with 100's of good friends on the route. And NO that's not all my bike is for, I average about 10 to 15k miles a year on road trips. I respect anyone that doesn't drink anything while they ride, but then again if they don't like to ride with me having a few beers, I can respect that also.
Sorry Man, I think that'sexcessive. You were impaired after the first two beers. After three or four it's starting to be more luck than judgement (not to mention illegal). After 8.........well, you get the picture. Not judging you, just stating my opinion to your post.

It takes a minimum of 12 hours for alcohol to clear your system. If you party 'till 1 or 2 a.m. and have had a "good time" (i.e. are legally drunk), unless you work third shift, I guarantee you are over the limit when you drive to work.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny...I wonder how many "abstainers" would think nothing of riding on...say a few hrs of sleep.....hmm...lets see...groggy, not thinking clearly, delayed reaction time,......similar symptons, eh?

Me personally, I see nothing wrong with a few beers - if I'm in a place for an hr or 2, thentwo, three beers is the max. I'll stay within my limits andI don't ride sh*tfaced, but I've driven so in the past. Not a pleasant experience. Again, that works for ME.

In the end each person isresponsible for BOTH their decisions and actions. Those implications can be far reaching. People will learn one of 2 ways - the ez way or the hard. However its THEIR choice. Eventually, averages catch up. They always do.

Ride safe brothers.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 PM
aframe2
Cruiser

Ask Billy Lane what he would do... before he killed that man on his scooter.

Quick Reply: Booz and a ride...