General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD leather jackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Bought my H-D Road Dust off the clearance rack a couple years ago for about 40% off of retail price. It's been a good jacket so far. It's been through a lot and still looks and functions well.

Some of the best Leather riding jackets I've ever had were the one's I got from sears way back when. I seem to remember them costing about $40.00 or so which wasn't cheap in the 60's but wasn't over the top either.

Below is pic of me "modeling" one that I got as a Christmas gift. They had a removable fur collar and liner and were very good at cutting the wind and keeping me warm.
That's one bitchin old Sears take on the Schott Perfecto. The old ones really are incredibly functional and looked great.

I'm wearing my USA made Vanson right now. When it's colder out, I put on the old Perfecto.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by machm1969
When I looked at the dealer, the nice ones were all $450 on up and made in CHINA! WTF? For those prices couldn't they find some one in the US to make them? I bought a HD because I wanted an American made bike, guess I'll get a non HD jacket for a lot less!
Thats the reason i don't have a HD Jacket.
You can use it towards chrome or LED lights, or whatever you want from HD

Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

I received a gift certificate for the hd dealer for Christmas and decided to put it towards a nice leather jacket. When I looked at the dealer, the nice ones were all $450 on up and made in CHINA! WTF? For those prices couldn't they find some one in the US to make them? I bought a HD because I wanted an American made bike, guess I'll get a non HD jacket for a lot less!
It's a profit deal - Navin Johnson

Go to the dealer - find the jacket you like - find the right size - buy it on ebay for half price or wait for a clearance sale - spend the rest on oil and filters.

As to American flags, they still make em in Fort Dodge Iowa - Martin Flag Co. I'm sure other in the US make em also. Who would buy a US flag made in China? WTF?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 PM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I have several jackets..... 2 of which are fxrg. The perforated and regular versions. They are very well made imo with many features but described as mid weight leather. the leather is soft. I haven't seen " heavy" leather HD jackets in the 10 years I been looking. in a high speed slide I would think heavy thick stiff leather is best for protection. Trade off though. The fxrgs are comfortable!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My HD jacket I got in 1986 is heavy leather with a thin piece of metal sandwiched between the leather in the lower back section. It was made in South Korea.
If I had a beer gut, the jacket would have fit perfectly.
My newer HD is kid glove soft leather and made in China.
My new Fox Creek cost almost what the HD one did in 1986 and is also heavy leather with more features and made in the USA.
It fits my build great after giving them my chest and waist size.
I looked at the Schott Perfecto, but FC offered more features for less and is still made here in the USA.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

I received a gift certificate for the hd dealer for Christmas and decided to put it towards a nice leather jacket. When I looked at the dealer, the nice ones were all $450 on up and made in CHINA! WTF? For those prices couldn't they find some one in the US to make them? I bought a HD because I wanted an American made bike, guess I'll get a non HD jacket for a lot less!
FXRG jackets are the best .ignore comments that offer sweeping generalizations that all cloths with harley on them are crap from china the facts just dont hold that up
my winter or cold weather riing jacket is by far and away the nicest most comfortable warmest best fitting durable jacket i ever owned and it was just under 500.00 if i recall and
might be the last jacket i ever buy
Mazz

Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

DON'T think U will.. In aswer to Ur ??

Most in here think that Fox Creek is one the Best that's as good as the HD leather or better and it will cost U between $400-$500 for their good ones..

Of course U can buy one from some the the really low priced stores, but believe me U get what U pay for and I'll bet they aren't made in the USA either.

Hold off till spring when the new styles comes out and look for last Yrs designs, U'll find them usually 1/2 of the list price.. Got mine back in 07 and it was 60% off and its been a great Jacket.

Here's what I got of less than $200.

[IMG]
DON'T think U will.. Most in here think that Fox Creek is one the Best that's as good as the HD leather or better and it will cost U between $400-$500 for their good ones.. Of course U can buy one from some the the really low priced stores, but believe me U get what U pay for and I'll bet they aren't made in the USA either. Hold off till spring when the new styles comes out and look for last Yrs designs, U'll find them usually 1/2 of the list price.. Got mine back in 07 and it was 60% off and its been a great Jacket. .[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

DON'T think U will.. Most in here think that Fox Creek is one the Best that's as good as the HD leather or better and it will cost U between $400-$500 for their good ones..

Of course U can buy one from some the the really low priced stores, but believe me U get what U pay for and I'll bet they aren't made in the USA either.

Hold off till spring when the new styles comes out and look for last Yrs designs, U'll find them usually 1/2 of the list price.. Got mine back in 07 and it was 70% off and its been a great Jacket.

Heres what I got for a lot less than list.. it was $379. and I got it for 65% off so it was $151 wih tax..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...item3a7e250b1d

Last edited by oct1949; 02-08-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first one was $450. The newest was $600. The FC was $435 delivered.
The most expensive one is the softest and not the one I hope I'm wearing if I ever went down.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
ButterBean12
Supporter
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ain't much worse than a chinese American Flag.
And my wranglers keep shrinking too, doubt they're made here either.

Quick Reply: HD leather jackets