General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD leather jackets

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Cammer
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glenalt
I bought a Willie-G Jacket many years ago. Made in USA, heavy thick leather with a zip out liner and zip off sleeves, never take them off. Absolutely the best coat I've ever had.
My wife bought me a Willie G jacket for Christmas. It's not exactly what I would have bought, it is made overseas (I think Pakistan?), but it is a damn good strong leather jacket. Pockets for armor, the leather is heavier than other HD jackets, it has good zip open vents, and the stitching is heavy duty. It fits me damn good. I was surprised by how nice it was.

My old USA leather jacket isn't as nice and cost about the same. So I decided to be open minded and stop trash talking the HD fashion crap. I guess it's not all bad. But it still irks me that it is not made in the USA.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
QSHOG
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading all this I went home a checked out where my HD jacket (that I really like) was made. And to my disappointment, it was made in China. I still really like the jacket but not as much now. Maybe if I bought a tag that said Made in USA that was made in China and sew it on over the Made in China tag I would feel better about it again.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM
bigdawg06
Intermediate

ok does anyone else have a problem with a company that has made there name from MADE IN THE USA. American made! WTF people? im canadian and it pisses me off that they push american but sell china chit! i love my bike but have lost some respect for harley davidson!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 AM
wayslow
Tourer

I got a HD jacket for Christmas a couple years ago. $465 jacket.
There's a patch on the inside that reads "Harley Davidson an American Legend".
Under that is a tag that reads "Made in China".

It ain't any better than the $100 jacket I got from leatherup.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 AM
vegashd
Banned

Anyone who says HD leather is cheap or terrible quality has no idea what quality leather is. Or they really think HD is over priced junk. HD leather is some of the best leather jackets out there. Quality zippers, triple and great stitching, thick leather.

I like how someone mentioned but a grea made in USA jacket..... But te company is out if business, or someone else mentioned how great their jacket is with "competition" leather.... Really? If that is not a scam on the buyer, what were they racing cows?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
I know you all know this but with leather jackets cheap isn't the key protection is.

A leather jacket that is cheap often has crappy stitching and the importance of that is if you go down, cheap stitching will burst and leave you unprotected.

Anyhow, just think about that when purchasing, I understanding saving money but if you want the jacket for protection vice looks than ensure it meets standards. I have seen guys with discount leather and they may as well not even have it on.

Somethings just aren't worth saving money on. Protective clothing and toilet paper are two tings you want to be strong.
understand and would even agree, but, a person must go,must go. with what is in his or her pocket. The best bang for the buck. I hope I never falt some one for that. us poor folks want to play to. same token, if you got the $
to spend I don't fault a person for having the best. jmo.
kroozeabout.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Cammer
Supporter

A while back I was in the HD shop checking out the jackets. Some of the jackets are thin and obviously just fashion jackets with very little protection, but they do have some pretty good stuff. So that makes me think that the problem is that the fashion crap is about the same price as their good stuff, not including the FXRG line of course. So people see this thin cheaply made poser biker jacket for $400 they think that all HD stuff is like that. Or if they are one of those types that just love to bash HD then it gives them plenty of ammo for doing exactly that.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a cheap FXRG Chinese made knock off jacket at Street Vibrations rally. I had it about 10 years now and it still looks new. If I am going to buy a Chinese jacket, I am going to buy a cheap one. HD jackets are nice, but just a little too much for me. Thing is, being made in China should bring the price down, but instead it just increased HD profit margin. I know its business but its not for me

Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM
nitrohound
Tourer

If in El Paso, Freedom Leathers. Less than a mile from Barnetts HD. I am tall,and the bigger the jacket, the wider it gets.(3xl tall). Stopped by and the maestro named Mauricio told me he would make one by scratch. I got A very nice,soft, heavy leather jacket with front and back vents for 313.00. He altered a size 54 pattern by extending back 2". Extending arms 1", tucking in sides 3". Brass heavy duty zippers, zip in liner, and lowered the pockets to boot. Front and back vents, and left and right concealment pockets. He only charged me 15 extra bucks for making me a custom jacket. He had it ready in a week. Also, he is either a member or supporter of Rolling Thunder. MADE IN USA

Last edited by nitrohound; 01-30-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the HD FXRG leather and it's a great riding jacket. Heavy leather, heavy duty zippers, cut to accommodate riding. It's not a stand around the bar type jacket. I also lie it because the HD emblems are subtle, not a flashing multicolor neon sign. The onlym other HD jacket I like is the Luminator 360 because of the generous amount of reflective piping on it. But I have the FXRG and will keep it.

Quick Reply: HD leather jackets