General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dark Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Dark Glasses

I need my prescription specs to read a menu, but I'm fine without them when I ride, so I usually just go to a metric dealer & spend 25 bucks on cheap sunglasses. That's all I need. I like the foam padding behind the lenses. I could use something darker though. Anybody know of any particular brand that's the darkest, non-prescription, foam-padding-behind-the lenses glasses that you ever had? Maybe there IS no such thing without getting a prescription lense. Thanks. (I hate to spend over a hundred on HD glasses, but I will if they're alot darker.)

Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm rather fond of Wiley X sunglasses. Of course, I just had a pair setup with my prescription too.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
edpnjax
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, Same here... the Wiley's have been great. Mine are prescription.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

I don't know if these will work for you. I got a pair last year. They have a small bifocal area down in the corner of the lenses for reading. Not a black lens, more like a dark grey.
They work very well on the bike and they're inexpensive.
Geezer, we should meet up some time. I'm near Scranton.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/foam-cushion...item257924bfcf

Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
I don't know if these will work for you. I got a pair last year. They have a small bifocal area down in the corner of the lenses for reading. Not a black lens, more like a dark grey.
They work very well on the bike and they're inexpensive.
Geezer, we should meet up some time. I'm near Scranton.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/foam-cushion...item257924bfcf
Will keep it in mind. I don't go that way much because I hate route 6 between Towanda & Scranton anymore. Even in the car. I have a buddy (also a forum member) in Wyalusing who's discovered a few nice rides over that way though. How's 6 between you & Middletown NY? Always looking for a new road!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Harley Goggles / Glasses

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
(I hate to spend over a hundred on HD glasses, but I will if they're alot darker.)
I have the Harley transition goggles / glasses, with the foam insert and they get VERY dark when in sunlight and EXTREMELY clear when not. I wear them whenever riding and the only time I use a face shield is when hitting the highway for longer periods of extended high speed riding. Even then I still wear the goggles for sunlight or for when I slow down.

UNFORTUNATELY - they bust your $100 budget, but in my opinion worth every penny!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Wadcutter
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

These are all I wear. I only need readers since having lasik. The bifocal reading lenses is low enough that it doesn't affect normal vision and it's nice to have the readers for close looks when riding.
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf44.html
They're impact resistant safety glasses. Offer great full coverage wrap around. Look good. Very comfortable. Great price at less than $12.
I have a clear set of the same for night riding.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadcutter
These are all I wear. I only need readers since having lasik. The bifocal reading lenses is low enough that it doesn't affect normal vision and it's nice to have the readers for close looks when riding.
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf44.html
They're impact resistant safety glasses. Offer great full coverage wrap around. Look good. Very comfortable. Great price at less than $12.
I have a clear set of the same for night riding.
Same here except I get mine for free at work. Even if I didn't I'd still get them.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Will keep it in mind. I don't go that way much because I hate route 6 between Towanda & Scranton anymore. Even in the car. I have a buddy (also a forum member) in Wyalusing who's discovered a few nice rides over that way though. How's 6 between you & Middletown NY? Always looking for a new road!
I run up RT 6 to Towanda, occasionally. Coming back, I take the back roads from Wysox. You can do that and pick 6 back up in Carbondale. From there it's a nice ride out to Middletown.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 390 Likes on 219 Posts

I need my prescription specs to read a menu, but I'm fine without them when I ride, so I usually just go to a metric dealer & spend 25 bucks on cheap sunglasses. That's all I need. I like the foam padding behind the lenses. I could use something darker though. Anybody know of any particular brand that's the darkest, non-prescription, foam-padding-behind-the lenses glasses that you ever had? Maybe there IS no such thing without getting a prescription lense. Thanks. (I hate to spend over a hundred on HD glasses, but I will if they're alot darker.)

I've been looking at WileyX glasses. The darkest lens is their; "SILVER FLASH LENSES* Multi-coat, Z-Oxide mirror over smoke lens. Reduces glare. Excellent on bright days. Light transmission: 7%, 10% Polarized." 7% is pretty dark.

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...LIMATE_CONTROL

Quick Reply: Dark Glasses