General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dark Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I have the Harley transition goggles / glasses, with the foam insert and they get VERY dark when in sunlight and EXTREMELY clear when not. I wear them whenever riding and the only time I use a face shield is when hitting the highway for longer periods of extended high speed riding. Even then I still wear the goggles for sunlight or for when I slow down.

UNFORTUNATELY - they bust your $100 budget, but in my opinion worth every penny!
Although I went with prescription, I also went with transition glasses. One pair of glasses now works for all riding conditions from virtually clear to VERY dark lens. While not inexpensive, I probably could have bought a second pair with the money I've spent over the years trying to find that right pair of glasses or the need to carry more than one tint to meet the time of day.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

It would be kinda nice to have only 1 pair of glasses. I might have to look into some transitions --- as long as they get dark. Real dark. That's what I mostly want. Thanks all.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM
dub976
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get transition ask for the extra dark not the original transition . I forgot what they called it but its the only way to go. I have it on my Williex prescription glasses and love not having to carry more then one pair with me.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like motorcycle sunglasses myself. I prefer standar sunglasses. I wear a super dark $10 pair of shades that i bought at the beach. Work awesome! So dark that I can look directly at the sun.

Here is the style I wear, same brand but mine have silver flames and my lenses are much darker...

On another note though I'd like to add that it's always cool when i read about people from my home town. Born in Scranton, lived in Tunkhannock till I was 12 then moved to Wyalusing. Came out to California when I was 19. Moved back when I was 21 and then back to Cali again when I was 23.

I miss the country some days but I couldn't give up my all year riding here in California.

Attached Thumbnails Dark Glasses-imagescaot9q4u.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteNoise; 01-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PKS98S
Although I went with prescription, I also went with transition glasses. One pair of glasses now works for all riding conditions from virtually clear to VERY dark lens. While not inexpensive, I probably could have bought a second pair with the money I've spent over the years trying to find that right pair of glasses or the need to carry more than one tint to meet the time of day.
This is what I did as well. I had spent a fortune on riding glasses, prescription glasses, night glasses.Now 1 pair does it all. Tri-focal, extra-dark transition lense, removable foam insert. Wish I had done it years sooner than I did.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

The best pair I use when I want protection like goggles provide-

http://www.amazon.com/Oriole-Motorcy.../dp/B000K5SD68

Attached Thumbnails Dark Glasses-31lqpsbkepl._sl500_aa300_.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I was told to get non-polaried lens. because with polaried lens you cant tell the difference between water on the road and slippery fuel oil on the road>

Originally Posted by Ridewva
I've been looking at WileyX glasses. The darkest lens is their; "SILVER FLASH LENSES* Multi-coat, Z-Oxide mirror over smoke lens. Reduces glare. Excellent on bright days. Light transmission: 7%, 10% Polarized." 7% is pretty dark.

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...LIMATE_CONTROL

Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
02Deuces
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sling Blade NSAA
The best pair I use when I want protection like goggles provide-

http://www.amazon.com/Oriole-Motorcy.../dp/B000K5SD68

I got some like that at a Tractor Supply one time, they were almost welding mask dark....I love them on bright days!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are polarized wraps, I had Ray Bans and they were great. Then went to Caribbean Sun which were good also, tried Wiley x but they were to tight on the sides of my head. I just got a pair last week from wally world 108.00 with prescription, tint (Dark) and scratch coating. I'm happy with them so far.

with polarized you have to get used to them and trying to read or see digital stuff can be hard.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 390 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jc15025
I was told to get non-polaried lens. because with polaried lens you cant tell the difference between water on the road and slippery fuel oil on the road>

I'm not sure that isn't an old wives tale, after reading this about motorcycle sunglasses;

"Polarized lenses are the most effective way to cut glare and get a clean, crisp view of the road. Polarization is not a lens coating. It is a series of crystals sandwiched inside the lens that blocks scattered light from reaching your eye. Sources of glare could be windshields, wet roads, buildings, or directly from the sun. Reasons not to get polarized lenses include: older LED instrumentation is harder to see through a polarized lens; vision could be distorted if polarized lenses are worn under some full-faced helmets; and polarized lenses are more expensive than traditional lenses. If you do not have older LED instrumentation or a full-faced helmet, we highly recommend polarized lenses for motorcycling.
We've done lots of testing and published several articles about wearing polarized lenses while motorcycling. (I will set up a link to these articles very soon.) This was done in response to the old-school belief that polarized lenses should not be worn on a motorcycle because it would be harder to see puddles in the road without glare reflecting off the water.* Our findings proved this theory to be blatantly false.* Glare does not help you see anything.* Polarized lenses allow you to see through the glare on top of the water so you can see hazards in a puddle.* In summary, if you need glare to Differentiate pavement from a puddle you are a candidate for prescription motorcycle glasses."

http://www.adseyewear.com/motorcycle...-buyers-guide/

Quick Reply: Dark Glasses