General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military Day-glow Vest or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation Military Day-glow Vest or Not

I've done some research this week after the previous thread about base stickers that morphed into the vest or no-vest discussion. From the Navy and Marine Corps regulations:

OPNAVINST 5100.12J
26 June 2012
"Riders and passengers shall wear a long sleeved shirt or jacket, long trousers, and full-fingered gloves or mittens designed for use on a motorcycle...To enhance the ability of other vehicle operators to see and avoid motorcyclists, outer garments constructed of brightly colored, fluorescent or reflective materials are highly recommended."

Keyword: recommended.

MCO 5100.19F
"Color and reflectivity requirements applicable to motorcycle operation have been eliminated. There is no requirement to wear “reflective motorcycle vest” during day or night as well as any quantification of color or reflectivity requirements related to motorcycle outerwear."

Of course, every base commander can be more restrictive; however, I have personally confirmed that Naval Base Point Loma, Naval Base 32nd Street, MCRD, and Camp Pendleton all follow the above policy regarding day-glow vests.

Anyone else have policies for their local bases?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After being in the Army for three years and being FORCED to wear this ****, I can tell you that it's like asking drivers to hit you. Ever seen a moth on a mercury light? Same effect, but the moth is an idiot cager with a 2,000lb death machine. After all the deaths where people hit riders wearing these and still claimed not to see them, I really don't see why it is enforced. Now I will say that in my last stint at JBLM, they did away with the requirement to wear one to get entry to base, but my commander had to show his ***** size and still forced us to wear them.

Edit: I was actually my BN motorcycle mentor for a bit, and I got the statistics of all the wrecks. The Army matched their 2011 fatalities in 2012 by July, and the numbers of vehicle vs bike showed a number of around 75% where people didn't see the vest period.

Last edited by The Guardian; 01-04-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I was forced to wear one.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

Originally Posted by The Guardian
After being in the Army for three years and being FORCED to wear this ****, I can tell you that it's like asking drivers to hit you. Ever seen a moth on a mercury light? Same effect, but the moth is an idiot cager with a 2,000lb death machine. After all the deaths where people hit riders wearing these and still claimed not to see them, I really don't see why it is enforced. Now I will say that in my last stint at JBLM, they did away with the requirement to wear one to get entry to base, but my commander had to show his ***** size and still forced us to wear them.

Edit: I was actually my BN motorcycle mentor for a bit, and I got the statistics of all the wrecks. The Army matched their 2011 fatalities in 2012 by July, and the numbers of vehicle vs bike showed a number of around 75% where people didn't see the vest period.
Honestly, I don't know what the official base requirement is here. But my unit has very few riders and the the boss is very cautious on it, so our requirement (at the unit level at least) remains.

As far as drivers not claiming to see the vest. That makes sense to me. I.e., if I hit someone in my car, I sure as hell am not going to say, "Yeah, I saw the guy plain as day but I hit his sorry *** anyway."

No sir, I'm gonna cover my *** as best as possible. Sorry, just the human condition.

My point is that these negative claims do not really indicate that the vest does not help.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 AM
SanSportster
Intermediate

I can't honestly say I know what it is on Lackland AFB either. I think I have seen riders leaving the base with no kind of vest or belt.

I think at least on a sunny day you should not have to. But with the military that leaves too much room for subjectivity.

I can't really think of the last time I saw an SAPD biker cop wearing reflective junk either. I guess we are the only one that have to roll around like bus stop crossing guards.

regards,

Clayton

Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Our safety guy's up here seem pretty good at keeping our base commander's updated with the regs for Naval Base Kitsap. See when your MCO was written and if it was before the last rev of the new instruction I would bring it up and see if they would be willing to update it. I remember how **** this base was when I had my R6 in 2004. That was when the requirement was a 1 inch reflective stripe across the back. Well my Red/white joe rocket jacket didn't work because the reflective stripe was 3/4 inch and yes it was measured. So the orange vest went over. Now is another story. Guys with leathers, riding with my NWU's on and no vest. So much more lax in the reflective wear. Don't you guys have a base Motorcycle Safety Program??

Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Chief Davis57
Advanced

I'm being told here that for Army, reflective vest is still required during hours of darkness, not in daylight though. This from a post security guard in my section...

Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 AM
kcdowning
Advanced
Default Exactly

Originally Posted by Ed_Just_Ed
Honestly, I don't know what the official base requirement is here. But my unit has very few riders and the the boss is very cautious on it, so our requirement (at the unit level at least) remains.

As far as drivers not claiming to see the vest. That makes sense to me. I.e., if I hit someone in my car, I sure as hell am not going to say, "Yeah, I saw the guy plain as day but I hit his sorry *** anyway."

No sir, I'm gonna cover my *** as best as possible. Sorry, just the human condition.

My point is that these negative claims do not really indicate that the vest does not help.
It is not how many people got hit with the vest it is how many didn't get hit with the vest and that is a number that nobody knows. People pull out in front of fire trucks with lights and sirens but a lot of people see them and don't make that mistake. Whereing ACUs or whatever camo uniform on a bike is like you are trying to blend in to the background.

Nobody admits they were not paying attention and it was their fault they hit something with their car. Everybody claims they are paying attention but then they drive like idiots.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by SanSportster

I can't really think of the last time I saw an SAPD biker cop wearing reflective junk either. I guess we are the only one that have to roll around like bus stop crossing guards.
at least here on ft polk, the motocops have to follow the same regs that everybody else does so they do roll around with the safety green/reflective jackets on.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

WPAFB here in Dayton must still require them. And, I can see them a mile away. Saw a guy pull straight out of the base with his vest on, stop across the street and take it off, so I'm guessing he's not wearing it because he wants to.

Quick Reply: Military Day-glow Vest or Not