General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military Day-glow Vest or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:15 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

Back when reflective gear was required I was behind a bike that was wearing a reflective vest but was wearing a back pack over it and was wave through. I roll up and am asked wear my vest was. I told them my jacket is reflective and they said oh. And let me through. He said that the guys backpack didn't cover the front of the vest. Rules were always enforced differently by different people. Most of them are gate guards are their on temporary duty for six months and are just thrown out there knowing some of the instructions all too well so I always kept a copy of the instruction in my jacket copy to whip out. One other time I had to take off my black leather jacket (during the daylight) because it wasn't a bright color. I was wearing a white long sleeve tee under earth and was allowed to go through! A few years ago I had two of my sailors get hit by cars while wearing reflective gear and the drivers said they didn't see them.

I do like all of the free riding courses that we are required to take. That I think is a great requirement!

Last edited by CGLTD; 01-04-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHT03FLHR
The Marine Corps parted with the Navy a few years ago on the whole, reflective vest thing. They actually did a study and realized that the vests don't really help and the best thing to keep riders safe is defensive riding skills. This is why we now have to do the ERC every three years. There was talk at the time that this would also lead to a requirement to wear Joe Rocket-style jackets, but nothing has come of it.

Base commanders used to be able to implement their own rules for motorcycles. Naval Station Mayport got crazy with it back in the 2004 time frame trying to discourage guys from riding. In about 2007, the Navy came out and said bases could no longer have their own rules and everyone was subject to the OPNAV instruction.

Personally, I still wear my Icon vest when riding on base, even though the guys at Monterey really don't care. The only reason is that it's got that fancy I.D. holder that makes it easy when I get to the gate. Leaving base, I leave it in the saddlebag.

Bottom line, keep taking the ERC. That's what will save you.
I have the HD version of the hi-vis vest. But, my id card holder blew off the front of the vest (held on by velcro) hitting an on-ramp in Brussels heading into NATO HQ. I guess I should have known better.

I do agree that the single best way to keep safe are the safety courses. I pick up something new (or maybe merely forgotten) each time I take one.

I really wish the Army would dictate from the top down (once and for all, for now...I guess) what the requirements are so it is not such a guessing game from post to post.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Our base required "visible/contrasting" color(s) during the day & "reflective" at night...base CC policy for anyone operating 2-wheel motorized vehicle...differs from base/base & cc/cc.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 PM
beastie
Cruiser

McGuire side of JBMDL here.
I'm actually proud to wear the hi-viz reflective vest, people know you're a serviceman, not a run of the mill biker. I can see people with these vests from far away. They just stand out. I've also been told that I am very conspicuous. There can be 2 sides to an accident, you and them. You take care of business by taking the safety courses and wearing the proper gear. I don't know about the other guy so the best I can do is hope they see me. When this unintended impact that we dread happens, we know we're gonna lose. I dunno about you, but I'd like to ride another day (and walk without a limp).

Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHT03FLHR
The Marine Corps parted with the Navy a few years ago on the whole, reflective vest thing. They actually did a study and realized that the vests don't really help and the best thing to keep riders safe is defensive riding skills. This is why we now have to do the ERC every three years...Bottom line, keep taking the ERC. That's what will save you.
We haven't really parted ways. MCO dated 2012 and OPNAV dated 2012 did away with the reflective vest. Navy is also required to take ERC every 3 years.

However (and this is another reason why I love Marines), the MCO specifically states that "Local installation requirement variances shall not exclude Marines and military members assigned to Marine Corps commands from base access, when the rider’s training and PPE complies with this manual."

The OPNAV doesn't have that requirement, so local Navy bases are still free to impose whatever safety measures they want.

And CORRECTION to my OP: 32nd Street does require the vest, unless the rider's jacket has sewn-in reflective material.

I also found out today that Naval Base Coronado requires the vest (sigh).

It sure would be nice to have one policy to follow, especially in the San Diego area where I travel between 3 bases regularly (sometimes all in the same day).

Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed_Just_Ed
Sure, it's "target fixation," right? Isn't that what was said a few posts back. Something to the effect that there were riders being hit because they stood out and car drivers (oft-referred to as "them idiot cagers") were attracted to them like moths to a flame?

Those poor, poor street signs being set up for the slaughter!
Both times I was hit riding my bicycle, I was wearing the fluorescent vest mandated by my base safety officer.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 AM
M109Rrider
Advanced

Norfolk, Little Creek, Oceana all follow the Opnav, nothing more, nothing less. Its nice not having to worry about that crap anymore.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I think what leads to the most "issues" is that no one seems to have a one approach for this instruction. I know it is a hell of an idea but if they could just make one rule & call it a day.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Teufel
Novice

Pearl Harbor makes you wear the vest unless you are wearing a white or orange shirt. All Marine Corps bases do not make you wear it to my knowledge.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 AM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

The Marines ditched the vest thing a few years back and the MCO specifically states that bases and commands cannot add any PPE requirements. Was signed by the CMC and he said things would be the same throughout the Corps - keeps the local commands from playing some of the f--k f--k games.

Quick Reply: Military Day-glow Vest or Not