General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military Day-glow Vest or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
dparker747
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will find the rules vary a bit from base to base. The commanders retain the right to take the top level guidance and make it more restrictive. For example if the regs call for 1" reflective strip the local commander can mandate a 2" strip but not go less than the 1".

Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM
M109Rrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The opnav changed a couple years ago doing away with the requirement for bright colors and vests. The newest revision did away with the reflective requirement and the requirement for civilians, retirees, and dependants to have a safety course.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

I wore one of those black runners vest with the reflective stripe Front to back. As long as they can see the reflective. you are ok. Looks like you are station out in Pendleton. I was over in Miramar back in 2003-2005

Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 PM
blackchipjim
Road Captain

Yeah well anyways, your a blur to most people what color blur you doesn't matter. Think for a second. The road signs are now the same color as alot of vests so you don't focus on a moving sign do you?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Default Oh, the humanity!

Originally Posted by blackchipjim
Yeah well anyways, your a blur to most people what color blur you doesn't matter. Think for a second. The road signs are now the same color as alot of vests so you don't focus on a moving sign do you?
Sure, it's "target fixation," right? Isn't that what was said a few posts back. Something to the effect that there were riders being hit because they stood out and car drivers (oft-referred to as "them idiot cagers") were attracted to them like moths to a flame?

Those poor, poor street signs being set up for the slaughter!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Default Wait just a second!

Originally Posted by Benway
WPAFB here in Dayton must still require them. And, I can see them a mile away. Saw a guy pull straight out of the base with his vest on, stop across the street and take it off, so I'm guessing he's not wearing it because he wants to.
You can "see them a mile away"????

That can't be right. This and every other motorcycle forum on the planet has irrefutably proved that bright and reflective colors are absolutely, under no circumstances, no more visible than Predator-style camouflage on a motorcycle.

I guess my less-than-well-made point is that just maybe this safety has helped at least one person (or two) get out of a tight spot. To categorically dismiss it all just because we resent (and I am there with you on not liking it mandated) having it crammed down our throats just seems like a bit of selective denial.

Attached Thumbnails Military Day-glow Vest or Not-images.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
NONCOM2
Advanced

The verbage that comes to mind for me is what is always said about regulations when they are questioned, "you can add to, but you can't take away from". Especially true for us riders anywhere near a military installation. Within the last year at Ft. Sill, OK we have been forced to wear the full reflective vest both day and night, instead of simply wearing the reflective belt.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I am now stationed at NSA Lakehurst which is now part of a Joint Base with Air Force over sight. What I can tell you about this command is that we are prefect example of the more restrictive approach.

This is the link to the command's Motorcycle policy it was released by the PAO.

http://www.jointbasemdl.af.mil/news/...p?id=123293299

http://www.dix.army.mil/PAO/stories2...icy_Letter.pdf

I have my own thoughts on hi viz gear even made a post about it awhile back, there is a time and place for the "circus look". Normally poor weather, light transition IE Dusk/dawn.

If you are looking for a good vest to keep the safety police happy I have to say the Missing Link DOC REVERSIBLE safety vest is about the best thing going if you want leather.

Now some food for thought, almost all the instructions state

"Motorcycle riders must also wear high-visibility fluorescent material on the top portion of their body"

What if I was to say...wear my Dickies Hi-Vis hooded Jacket Fleece with my black leather vest? I would have high-vis material on the top portion of my body.

The bigger issue here (at least to me) is that (Ref)

http://www.transportgooru.com/2009/0...united-states/

The Bureau of Transportation Statistics of the Research and Innovative Technology Administration

Motorcycle registrations in the United States have grown each of the past 10 years, from 3,826,373 in 1997 to 6,678,958 in 2006—a 75 percent increase overall.2 Sales of new street-legal motorcycles grew even more sharply over the same period, from 260,000 in 1997 to 892,000 in 2006 (a 243 percent increase), but declined slightly to 885,000 in 2007.

That is about the same time that the military starting to see a uptick in motorcycle related issues. This isn't just about people crashing their bikes but speeding tickets & the DUI's that go with creating horrible public view of the military for base Commanders to deal with.

The simple math here is that the more people riding motorcycles the higher the numbers for all of these issues base Commanders now have to deal with.

I can tell the OP be happy...

Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

So, looking at the Army's safety website and being referred to several posts' motorcycle policies, it seems they all require the fluorescent vest for riding at all times. Although, the Ft. Sill policy letter contradicts itself in at least one spot where it says the policy only applies when riding on post, where it says on or off post in another paragraph.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Ft. Sill's also recognized other helmet safety standards (such as ECE 22-05, SNELL etc...) as acceptable. This is actually accurate as the DODI lists those as well. So often, we get stuck in the "DOT-only" nut-roll. This matters to me because my carbon fiber full-face was bought in the Netherlands and only has the ECE certification.

https://safety.army.mil/portals/povm...3/Default.aspx

Last edited by Ed_Just_Ed; 01-04-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM
FLHT03FLHR
Intermediate

The Marine Corps parted with the Navy a few years ago on the whole, reflective vest thing. They actually did a study and realized that the vests don't really help and the best thing to keep riders safe is defensive riding skills. This is why we now have to do the ERC every three years. There was talk at the time that this would also lead to a requirement to wear Joe Rocket-style jackets, but nothing has come of it.

Base commanders used to be able to implement their own rules for motorcycles. Naval Station Mayport got crazy with it back in the 2004 time frame trying to discourage guys from riding. In about 2007, the Navy came out and said bases could no longer have their own rules and everyone was subject to the OPNAV instruction.

Personally, I still wear my Icon vest when riding on base, even though the guys at Monterey really don't care. The only reason is that it's got that fancy I.D. holder that makes it easy when I get to the gate. Leaving base, I leave it in the saddlebag.

Bottom line, keep taking the ERC. That's what will save you.

Quick Reply: Military Day-glow Vest or Not