General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Bob D'Amico
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated gear

Is anyone using dual source heated gear?I want to buy Gerbings Hybrid Vest to use on my bike and also to wear in other activities.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM
lffl
Stage IV

Not exactly what you mean by dual source heated G. I'm assuming your talking plug in & battery option. I live in NY & have been using Gerbings H.G. for about 4 years now. My advice is go with the full jacket. You get heat in the arms & also you get built in wires at the end of the sleeves for gloves. I have been riding for over 40 years & I can say with out doubt it makes riding a 12 month thing. Last winter we took a ride to PA on a 27 degree tay & it never went over 30 the whole day & I can actually say the only time your cold is when your off the bike. I have the jacket , gloves & last year I bought the gerbings heated foot pads. I ride a Road King & found that by using the leather type lowers that slide over the front crash bars & good long johns & felt lined pants the heated pants aren't necessary. That might not be the case for everyone but for me it works & I ride in 15 to 20 degree temps. I don't have the type of gear that will take Batteries though. It would be nice I guess if you needed them for other things besides riding. Also I found through trial & error that following the instructions about only wearing one thin layer under the heated gear is the only way to go. You can put as much as you like on over the heated gear but you want that heat to not have to work so hard to get to you, so a thin T shirt turtle neck long sleeves shirt is all you need between you & the gear. You'll be riding down the road at 70 MPH & you'll feel the heat just warming your whole body. My only regret is I waited 40 years LOL

Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM
FLTHarleyman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the gerbing fire wire jacket and gloves
If you heat your core and your fingers, the rest of the body will stay warm. I generally leave the house when it's cold with the therm set on high, but before I get half way to work, have to turn it down so I don't get too hot.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico
Is anyone using dual source heated gear?I want to buy Gerbings Hybrid Vest to use on my bike and also to wear in other activities.
Any of Gerbing's heated gear components will run on their 12 volt battery packs. You'll get about 4 hours on a low heat setting.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

The Gerbings battery powered vest I had a couple of years ago didn't last long...believe the wires failed somewhere in the vest due to activity...I've tried the HD, Gerbings and Milwaukee battery heated vests and jackets and none work as well as the EXO2 that I've been using for two winters now. It's commercial quality and price, but I wear it every day in the winter at temps as low as -30f (last few nights up here). I'd be willing to give the Gerbing another try, but make sure you get the 12V battery powered one.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 AM
lffl
Stage IV

Hey Sharkey. Just to let you know in case you were not aware. All Gerbing gear has a lifetime warranty When I was in my 3rd year with my Jacket the glove circut went south on me. I contacted them & they said to send it right back & they would fix it. Four days after I sent it back I got it back & haven't had a problem since. I also noticed that on the new ones they have a zipper on the inside side panel running from the arm pit to the waste so they can get to the wiring with out opening the stitching. They had to open stitching on mine but I searched like crazy & could not find where they did it. Any way you should send yours back & have them fix it & you'll have a spare or an extra for the old lady.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by lffl
Hey Sharkey. Just to let you know in case you were not aware. All Gerbing gear has a lifetime warranty When I was in my 3rd year with my Jacket the glove circut went south on me. I contacted them & they said to send it right back & they would fix it. Four days after I sent it back I got it back & haven't had a problem since. I also noticed that on the new ones they have a zipper on the inside side panel running from the arm pit to the waste so they can get to the wiring with out opening the stitching. They had to open stitching on mine but I searched like crazy & could not find where they did it. Any way you should send yours back & have them fix it & you'll have a spare or an extra for the old lady.
As a matter of fact, I did use Gerbings warranty and the wife now has a great heated vest. Minor problem is I'm in Canada (where it's REALLY cold) and I could freeze before my warranty returns my vest...I will be re-visiting Gerbings for a riding vest and keep the EXO2 for work; it's relativly heavy compared to a Gerbing vest.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM
harrell42
Advanced

i bought the gerbing vest several years ago and bought the jacket about 5 years ago. i would definately recommend the jacket it is not much more expensive and does a much better job and has a glove connection at the end of sleeve. roller

Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Bob D'Amico
Advanced
Default heated gear

Twistnride thanks for the tip I wasn't aware that I don't have to buy the Dual Source (Hybrid) and can still use Battery Pak if I want to. Thxz to all for the input Bob D'

Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 PM
ROLLn1
Advanced

I've been riding with a Gerbing vest for 10 years, Still going strong. If my core is warm my body keeps warm. I prefer not to be all bulked up with layers, Feeln like 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb sack. As for hands I use the HD heated grips. they work great, No need for BIG bulky gloves.

Quick Reply: Heated gear