General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS Touring on a Dyna - plausible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012 | 06:42 PM
thebeginning
|
Advanced
Default SERIOUS Touring on a Dyna - plausible?

Hey all - about to put money on my first HD (debating on a few 2000-2005 wide glides).

Here's the deal. I'm planning a huge solo riding trip in August and September of 2013, from Mexico to Canada and back, for a total of around 7500 miles. I want to see the wild America that I've never seen, and want to do it on my first American bike (ain't no way in hell I'm doing it on the metric chop job I'm hardtailing). I've specifically wanted the wide glide for a while, hence the choice.

The route:

http://tiny url.com/dyscf5p (remove space)

Here's my question: just how taxing would this ride be on a dyna? I'm mostly thinking about the bike, but I guess for me too. I've done some serious riding in Texas, Mexico, and Thailand, but nothing quite this long.

The whole trip will be spread out over 2 months, with quite a few days of long distance riding. I really don't want to have to worry about wrenching on it or taking it into garages a lot, so I'm hoping to work out any big kinks before I go.

Any tips are welcome!

Last edited by thebeginning; 12-27-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2012 | 06:53 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

I started riding on the street with a Honda 350 and then moved on to bigger bikes but never thought I couldn't go anywhere I wanted on any of them. I think a lot depends on the person, some enjoy traveling in a minimalistic way, bags strapped to the bike, no fairing/windshield etc. You have to ask yourself are you uncomfortable after a long day of riding or do you feel good? I've known both type the minimalist and my self thirty plus years later riding a Electra Glide Ultra Limited. Thirty years ago I could not have imagined that I would be riding such a monster, radio, cruise control etc..but today I enjoy all of it. Can you do it, people have been doing it for years with less of a bike than you have; the rest is up to you. IMHO

added: there is some benefit on riding a lighter smaller, more agile bike

Old 12-27-2012 | 06:54 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

If you're soloing, you can do it quite comfortably. I would recommend a windshield, but the Dyna Wide Glide will definitely handle the miles. With the right seat and control configuration, of course.

Old 12-27-2012 | 06:57 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

I'd start on the creature comfort items like a good saddle that won't wear you out. Take good breaks and be physically up to it. Another thing in today's technology, may want to consider check in points with a home station. The wife and I rode from here to west N.Y. and back on a FXD built up for two up riding. Sounds like fun, good luck.

Old 12-27-2012 | 07:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

You're kidding right? People have toured the world on foot, bicycle and any size motorcycle going let alone trains planes and automobiles.

My son has toured with me to 49 States and most of Canada on a 06 Street Bob. He's 6'5" and 270 and the Dyna served him well for 40K + miles.

That's him on his brother's BMW at the Best Western in Butte Mont. where we hooked up with him on our way to Alaska.

The saddle bags are big ammo boxes he installed and had a big duffel bag strapped across them.

Both of us had done over 10K touring on Honda VTX's in the past.

A Dyna, Softail or a Sportster can tour the world. One adventure rider crossed Russia on a Sporty.

Old 12-27-2012 | 07:12 PM
thebeginning
|
Advanced

I guess I should have phrased my question differently.

First off, I don't really know much of touring. Aside from the solo 10 day tour I just finished of northwestern Thailand (Mae Hong Son loop), it's new to me.

Secondly, I'm not up to speed on reliability of HD's for long periods of serious riding. Should I expect to have a few tune-up/check-ins/wrenching sessions? Should I expect to just up and ride without issue through the whole thing? Just trying to make preparations (especially financial). I've done a decent amount of world travel and road tripping in the states, but never a long term camping+riding trip, so I'm trying to get some new research in.

Now that I'm thinking of it - what are some comfy long haul seats for dynas? I normally like slim and trim solo seats, but obviously can't have my cake and eat it too in this situation. If I can get a seat that's relatively comfortable and not ugly as sin, I'll be happy.

Last edited by thebeginning; 12-27-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2012 | 07:21 PM
Cruzn34
Cruiser

I suggest the mustang seat because I put nearly 40K on my Honda before I opted for a Harley! The mustang gave me plenty of comfort and it looks great on a Dyna! How is it I know that, bought a mustang before I ever rode the dyna! Just couldn't seem to ride on that factory cushion they call a seat! Try Mustang because it has served me and 6 other friends very well! My $0.02 worth!

Old 12-27-2012 | 07:30 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Look at my sig photo. Thats a 2002 Superglide. I rode it from Ohio, up thru Montana, Alberta, BC, Yukon, Fairbanks and up the Haul Road to the Deadhorse. And back. A little shy of 10K.

A pair of leather saddlebags, tools, oil filters and a spare can of gas. A few clothes and a sleeping bag. Didn't stay under roof until I got to Fairbanks. No windshield, no cell phone, no gps.

Great trip

Old 12-27-2012 | 07:40 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

My wife and I did 11000 miles on a trip this summer on our Dynas. 6 to 8 hours a day and 1 unregistered Iron Butt run.
Piece of cake man.

Old 12-27-2012 | 07:50 PM
BorderlandBiker
Novice

I rode my ROAD WARRIOR from San Francisco to Sturgis and back in '09 with just a small windscreen, a magnetic tank bag and a flat kit (I had alloy wheels..I took my time and found it to be the perfect bike for just a puttin' along on William Least Heat Moon's "Blue Highways"...I'm going to do the same thing on my STREET BOB (it has some of Harley's alloy wheels) for this upcoming Sturgis and I think LePera has a 'gel' seat with my name on it too...I figure if I give myself enough time to just go a puttin' along singin' one of the songs my granddaughter downloaded onto my little iPOD I'll be ok...I figure at my age I'm good for on the road legs that last between me filling the bike's tank and when I empty my own, I mean bladder...

Quick Reply: SERIOUS Touring on a Dyna - plausible?