General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS Touring on a Dyna - plausible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012 | 10:43 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Piece of cake. Get a good seat with a backrest, some good bags/luggage, a windshield or a batwing faring and you're good to go. Have fun and be safe.

Old 12-28-2012 | 09:34 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Mechanically speaking, the Dyna will handle the miles if prepped ahead of time. I'd recommend checking/changing the fork oil and all three holes (Engine, Primary and Tranny) before starting the trip. The fork oil will see you all the way home, but I'd recommend changing the engine oil at least once during your trip. Primary and tranny are up to you. They can easily handle 10k between changes, but it wouldn't hurt to change them mid way either.

Aside from those things, someone mentioned the cam chain tensioners on the earlier Dynas, I would also recommend changing them out. Reason to just change them is that if you check them you're already half way there to changing them anyway. Especially change them out if they have 10K+ miles on them without being changed.

From there, you're next biggest concern, depending on age would be the secondary drive belt. If the bike is about 10 years old, but low mileage, the belt could still be dry rotting/cracking. Check it real well for any damage. You don't want that breaking while doing 60+ down a back road with no help in sight! To be fair, the only belt I've ever seen break was on my old '88 FXRS back in 2007. It was the original belt, so that can give you an idea of longevity when properly cared for.

As always, check all the "critical fasteners" before you head out and you'll be good to go!

Keep us posted about your trip, always fun to read good trip stories.

Old 12-28-2012 | 10:29 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 12-28-2012 | 10:58 AM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

My 97 Dyna Wide Glide and I in the Yukon. I like those Biker's Friends rolls that you can lean on. Pads included and you can jam a lot of stuff in them. Been all over the US on this thing. The windshield is a necessity, not a luxury, unless you wear a full-face. That windshield couldn't be seen through some of the time due to mud spatters. Yuu'll have a great time, take cell phone, credit card and basic tools in a chin bag.

Attached Thumbnails SERIOUS Touring on a Dyna - plausible?-bike-sig.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012 | 11:23 AM
cldiver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thebeginning

Secondly, I'm not up to speed on reliability of HD's for long periods of serious riding. Should I expect to have a few tune-up/check-ins/wrenching sessions? Should I expect to just up and ride without issue through the whole thing? Just trying to make preparations (especially financial). I've done a decent amount of world travel and road tripping in the states, but never a long term camping+riding trip, so I'm trying to get some new research in..
I did a cross Canada trip last year on a 2011 stock SuperGlide..all told around 12200 kms in 15 days. I didn't have a windshield.

I had no problems with the bike. I started with fresh oil and a new back tire..halfway got an oil change and a new front tire.

I camped a few night but mostly hotels. I was very lucky with the weather only a few rain storms but the heat was bad in a few areas. A few times I pulled out of traffic for 20 mins to let my parts cool down and the engine.

It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Good Luck on your trip.

Old 12-28-2012 | 11:48 AM
DDuess
Road Captain

I own an Electraglide and a Softail Deuce, and I took the deuce on a long (5k) trip this last summer. I rode the stock seat, it was comfortable for me. Go on a couple local rides and run a tank of gas out without a stop, you will know if you need a different seat by then, and then test the new seat the same way. I got a mustang seat to try off of Craigslist, felt like upholstered concrete to me, to each his own. I used the HD SAC bag on a sissy bar for the stuff I wanted access to on the road, and a dry bag with a roll top for the stuff I wanted dry. Not easy to get into, so that was the things I didn't think I would need during a riding day. I used a set of rok straps to hold the stuff sack on the bike on the passenger seat, they are good equipment worth the money and I recommend them. I took flat repair, a few basic hand tools and a compressor that ran off the bike battery, and the only tool I needed, I didn't have, but a stop at a local HD dealer and an explanation of on a trip etc. they fixed me up with the Torx tool I needed and a mechanic, 10 minutes in and out, no charge. Every couple days do a once over of the bike, catch the loose bolts nuts, dangling things, before it is a problem. I usually discovered things while washing and drying off bike, eyes on stuff you don't normally look at. Don't skimp on riding gear, huge difference if you are comfy on trip, I used a windshield and liked it enough I wouldn't go w/o next time. You can buy a waterproof USB tap to hook to your battery and run a cheap GPS off of it, we'll worth the effort in my opinion. You can hook it right to battery with a fuse and us it that way for a trip no prob.

Old 12-28-2012 | 11:58 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

Killer tips and help guys, seriously.

One other question:

How much should I budget for a good seat, bags, and shield? Keeping in mind that I don't normally ride with bags or a shield (so they'll be coming off when I get home).

For the seat, I generally like something that is more low profile.

For the bags, I honestly have no idea...hard or soft, I'm clueless. I personally like the look of soft better, but I probably won't keep them on after the trip anyway.

For the shield, will it matter that I may ride with apes? I'll keep my hands below shoulder to avoid losing circulation, but am almost positive I'll be riding with apes.
For a seat, it runs the gamut - you might get lucky with a used one (try the for sale section of this forum), but you are probably looking at least $200-300. Otherwise a new Mustang touring seat will run about $400-600.

A shield will likely run about $200-300 (the shields are relatively inexpensive, it's the mounting hardware that seems to double the price). You can get an HD Quick Release one, or try something like Memphis Shades (try Dennis Kirk or JP Cycles). Or try the for sale section here.

As for bags, you can get a mediocre set of throw-overs for as little as $100 (especially since you don't plan on using them outside of this trip), but you'll need a good set of mounting brackets. On a long trip, fully loaded, those bags will get heavy and mounting brackets will help secure everything. Also, inexpensive bags will likely leak when it rains, so you'll need to prepare for that too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SouthpawHD; 12-28-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2012 | 02:06 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Killer tips and help guys, seriously.

One other question:

How much should I budget for a good seat, bags, and shield? Keeping in mind that I don't normally ride with bags or a shield (so they'll be coming off when I get home).

For the seat, I generally like something that is more low profile.

For the bags, I honestly have no idea...hard or soft, I'm clueless. I personally like the look of soft better, but I probably won't keep them on after the trip anyway.

For the shield, will it matter that I may ride with apes? I'll keep my hands below shoulder to avoid losing circulation, but am almost positive I'll be riding with apes.
Looks are way less important for your long trip than comfort. I'd say looks are irrelevant. The seat really will be one of the most important parts of your overall enjoyment. Do not cheap out on this. Mustang seats are rarely ever a bad choice.

I would do on the Dyna forum to ask about how comfortable the suspension will be on your journey. Although a great seat can overcome that, well tuned shocks/springs can make a difference. I have a Sporty and am in need of a shocks/springs change. I'm not sure how well the stock setup is on a Dyna though.

Old 12-28-2012 | 06:42 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain

07 wide glide bought new in 08. my wife and i take one big trip a year (her on a 08 1300 v-star) we take from a little over two weeks to almost four one year. have been in every state but Texas,s.c. Florida and Kansas.al. and hi. been to the east coast twice . every major motorcycle highway in the country. every big bridge. the pch from l.a. to elwaco .wa. all the big national parks. most always with full set of camping gear. never had anything more serious then a burned out taillite bulb.
long story short yeah,you can tour on a WG. have fun!

Old 12-28-2012 | 10:24 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member

Quick Reply: SERIOUS Touring on a Dyna - plausible?