General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS Touring on a Dyna - plausible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012 | 08:21 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

For your answer on reliability, read this thread. Keep in mind I've done all my touring on a 2001 FXDXT.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...liability.html

Here is a map created by my GPS tracker on my trip this past September.

The one advantage to doing it on a newer Dyna would be the six speed. When you have to get on the superslab or have long stretches of 65-75 mph road, 6th gear would be much easier on the engine. I've done as much as 600 miles in one day. As someone said earlier, if the bike fits you, no problem. I have the stock seat and just added a set of 2"up, 1" back risers.

That said, I just, last month, bought a Street Glide because I wanted cruise control and a little more protection from the wind. At 67, I've become pussified I guess

Old 12-27-2012 | 08:30 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

A good windshield, seat, and saddlebags are a must - don't go cheap on either of them. I've taken some good trips on my '08 Strret Bob, and better saddlebags would've been the only thing to make it better (I had a good windshield and seat). Other than that, Dynas are just fine for touring. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2012 | 08:43 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

A lot of good feedback. The bike will handle it. Take a few torx and some basic sockets and wrenches just to be safe in the less populated areas.

The ride will be taxing more so than on a touring bike, but it all depends on your willingness to rough it (comparatively.) I've done NYC to LA on a Norton Commando and enjoyed it a lot. This was pre-cell phone and I lost my camera somewhere in Pennsylvania. My only regret was not buying another.

Old 12-27-2012 | 09:06 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

i see your looking into 2000-2005 dynas to do this trip with. my suggestion with these year bikes is making sure tires are in good shape and depending on mileage, upgrade the timing chain tensioners if they haven't been done. with the 88 in motors, thats the only weak link in them that i can think of...wouldn't want to be on a long trip and have a problem with them. you can do a search on it, plenty about it. if the bike is mechanically sound, as the others have posted, no problem, the dyna can handle it fine. most of the time, the limiting factor on long trips is not the bikes, but the riders. good luck on your trip and ride safe

Old 12-27-2012 | 09:09 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by thebeginning
I guess I should have phrased my question differently.

First off, I don't really know much of touring. Aside from the solo 10 day tour I just finished of northwestern Thailand (Mae Hong Son loop), it's new to me.

Secondly, I'm not up to speed on reliability of HD's for long periods of serious riding. Should I expect to have a few tune-up/check-ins/wrenching sessions? Should I expect to just up and ride without issue through the whole thing? Just trying to make preparations (especially financial). I've done a decent amount of world travel and road tripping in the states, but never a long term camping+riding trip, so I'm trying to get some new research in.
Since it sounds like you're going to buy used it's hard to tell how reliable your bike will be, but if we assume your bike is in good shape I wouldn't anticipate any real problems. I would get to know the basics, how to check/change oil, change out minor items, etc. Tires and oil changes are about the only thing you should have to do if all goes well, there is always the exception and thats called a problem.

I'm not familiar with the year and model of the bike you want so others might want to chime in on that. I have ridden in the last four years almost 65,000 miles on Harleys and have found them to be reliable with a huge network of people that know how to work on them. There will be plenty of opinions about creature comforts like seats and handlebars but it's up to you to find what fits you.

I have some ideas on my site about touring, you just have to bypass all my nonsense writing.

Old 12-27-2012 | 09:11 PM
omaho5
Road Master

I've done two long trips on a Dyna FXD....Both rides were comfortable to me.
I had the "Sport Shield" on the bike. They no longer make this shield for newer Dynas.

Old 12-27-2012 | 09:45 PM
thebeginning
|
Advanced

Killer tips and help guys, seriously.

One other question:

How much should I budget for a good seat, bags, and shield? Keeping in mind that I don't normally ride with bags or a shield (so they'll be coming off when I get home).

For the seat, I generally like something that is more low profile.

For the bags, I honestly have no idea...hard or soft, I'm clueless. I personally like the look of soft better, but I probably won't keep them on after the trip anyway.

For the shield, will it matter that I may ride with apes? I'll keep my hands below shoulder to avoid losing circulation, but am almost positive I'll be riding with apes.

Last edited by thebeginning; 12-27-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2012 | 09:56 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member

Lady at work has something like 115K on her Evo Dyna. She's ridden it across the country and back three times and to Sturgis a whole bunch. Never even had the heads off...

Old 12-27-2012 | 10:22 PM
JockWhisky
Advanced

I'm 62 and wouldn't hesitate to take yer dyna on that trip. I ride an '01 softail standard.

As far as advice I'd get a Mustang seat as I found them way better than stock although I've done 6000 miles in 2 weeks on stock.
Second piece of advice is a backrest. I have a drybag that I stuff with my tent, fly, poles, sleeping bag, pillow and thermarest air mattress. It fits on the passenger seat behind me. Don't leave home without it.

My softail is on the left with the drybag. My son is riding the geezer glide.

JW

Old 12-27-2012 | 10:34 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Touring on a dyna, sure why not. Is it your best option though? I own a dyna (2000 FXDL) which I love, and a touring bike (2010 RG). If I'm going on a long ride, hands down the RG is the better choice.

The baggers are built on a better platform for touring. The RG performs great in all conditions, has bags, fairing, windshield, radio, cruise control, gps...

In no way am I trying to be disrespectful to the dyna's but when it comes to touring, baggers are built for that job. If you own a dyna, sure you can make it work, but since you're still looking for a bike, I would suggest that you consider a bike in the the touring family. It's the right tool for the job.

Regardless what you choose, have a blast! Sounds like an awesome trip.

Quick Reply: SERIOUS Touring on a Dyna - plausible?