General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD York facility closed permanently. All employees ousted.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: HD York facility closed permanently. All employees ousted.

ORIGINAL: christian0632

I'll bash the union all I want. I have seen first hand how worthless unions are. I have seen how worthless collective bargaining agreements are.
Ya know...You do have the freedom to bash Union representation, that is one of the beautiful things about America. Everyone can have their own opinion, and regardless of it's direction, it can be heard. That is also one of the beauties of the of the internet...It gives everyone the ability to express their opinion in a forum that provides almost complete anonimity...therein allowing for people to have a sense of confidence they would normally not have if they were (expressing 'said' opinion)speaking to a 'live' group of people - and were forced to qualify the reasons behind their beliefs. So..in the simplest of terms (so that Goober can understand), You can make any idiotic statment you want on the internet, and don't have to worry about someone kickig your a$$.

Your opinion has been stated...and (in my opinion) was done in a pretty fu^ked-up manner...And what is kinda crazy is - I am not a fan of Unions.

Resorting to name calling, and degrading others to make a point isChickenSh1t andalso represents that you haveno'real' desire to impact change, but merely want to 'throw stones'.

You may very well have had a negative experience with Union's (could have been You personally,a friendor a family member), but that does not mean that all Unions are bad, or that some people have not benefited by their representation. The original purpose of 3rd-party involvement (in the US and worldwide) was to protect workers from corporations that were not paying fair wages, and not providing safe work environments. When Union representation was established in the US, it was both necessary and effective. Since then, the focus of Unions seems to have changed, and what has resulted is a entity of power that is not as concerned with the individual, but the profit that can be made off the represented group. This has been a detrement ot all parties involved - the worker, the Union, the corporation...and most significantly to the economy.

Your examples of Ford Motor, GM and 'Pittsburg Steel' (while not entirely incorrect in 'theory), do little to further your case because you mentioned nothing specific that 'Union representation' did to put these industries in danger. You also failed to mention that all of these companies at some point agreed to the contract(s) that the Union's worked-up and presented for employee ratification and corporation approval. The companies (in this case - and in the simplest of terms) 'made their own bed's'. Profits were up...Reganomics was in full swing...and everybody wanted a piece of the pie - and most everybody got it. Now we are suffering the effects.

My interpretation of your post leads me to believe that You feel the workers are getting what they deserve...and should simply be happy they have a job. That is both shortsighted, and (to be blunt) moronic. Most everyone has a desire to better themselves...whether to meet personal goals, provide a bettter quality of life for their families - or just to have a few extra $$$'s. Whatever the reason...that cannot be a bad thing. Your "go to college" statement is mis-guided in the fact that formal education is not, by any stretch of the imagination, the only way to acheive a better quality of life.

Your criticism of the workers in Yorkseemsto also a bit 'off the mark' -Your compaint of poor quality of workmanship has no place in this arguement,ithas nothing to do with Union involvement, nor does itmake sense to 'product vaulate in a 'strike' environment. That would do nothing more than raise costs, create more downtime to 'ramp-up' for new procedures, and created a more expensive product for the consumer. Workmanship is the sole responsibility of the company - and Union contr

Old 02-04-2007, 02:12 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: christian0632

That's what could happen if those guys at the York plant don't get back to work.

Quite frankly, I think they have placed too much faith in their union. Once again, Goober, putting lugnuts on the wheels thinks he should be making a million a year since the exec, twenty levels above him with the Harvard education got a 10 mill bonus. Listen Goob, it's called a career plan. What you have is a good job (lugnut put-er on-er) with good pay(~$20.00/hr) for those skills you possess, not a career plan.

Now Goober is jeolous cause he didn't get a million dollar bonus for the lugnut thing and at the same time the union thugs are telling him the company can't run without his lugnut skills. Wake up Goob, there's a robot with your name on it being built right now. Maybe you should take some of the money you are earning with those critical lugnut skills and go to college, get an education, and then become an HD exec with a million dollar bonus. No. That would be too easy so lets get Goober, Vern, Cleetus and all the other "critical skilled" workers to demand all this money or cause a halt in the production. Somehow I don't see that as very smart.

They obviously haven't seen the steel mills near Pittsburg PA. Thank the union for helping shut those factories down too.

I'm betting HD will win this one. GM is in a critical status, Ford has had to put upthe entire company for a billion dollar loan. The Japanese are overtaking the auto industry. I think if I was a worker there I believe I would consider carefully HD statement that they do not wish to end up in the same frying pan as GM, Ford and others.

All you guys that have 07's on order from the York line might want to reconsider. Do you really think out of all those employees that not a single one is going to be vindictive towards the company?
There's lots of good things about a union and lots of bad,but one thing's for damn sure,if the unions I've been associated with in the past had to deal with arrogant ****** like you,we would have rotted in hell before we'd have given in to you.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 02-04-2007, 02:31 AM
kwgrimes
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here, here, I totally agree!!!
ORIGINAL: MAchonewon

I'm not a union fan but I am a fan of the working man. All of us are paying more for health care, life insurance, dental, etc. Most of us have lost all or part of our pensions and it has been replaced with a 401K some better than others. Then to top that off Uncle Sam taxes any health care benefits the company pays on your behalf. The truth of the matter is there are fewer of us working than ever and paying more for those who don't work. If you want to cut somewhere to help all be more profitable; reduce the amountwe and our companies are paying on federal taxes and cut some of the give away programs to the lazy.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:33 AM
jimjlips
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If it wasn't for labor unions there would be no middle class anybody that is depending on the government social security for their retirementcan only wish they were organized while they were working like management was.I was trained by my union for 4 years before becoming a journeyman and I can out-perform non-union in quality and speed @ a lower cost because I have to be competative
Local 131
Jim

Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 AM
jimbo21165
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok

Old 02-04-2007, 02:36 AM
MAchonewon
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see they have you brain washed. I have never had to pay dues to have a job, I always got them on my own, and training state of the art at my company.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:41 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

OK boys, I reckon this one is going down the tubes with the usual union vs non-union bash-a-thon. If you wanna play with that end of the strike, there is already a thread in PROD. Go there & have all the fun you want. This one is locked.