General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Good news Bad news day

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:23 PM
IU_Booger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Good news Bad news day

Well a good news bad news day

The Bad news.. I had a company meeting today that was 90 miles down the road

The Good new I rode my bike to it.

The Bad news.. on the way down on a single lane hwy three eighteen wheeler were carrying trees, threw a rock and yep… smack dab in the middle of my fairing. OUCH.
I can say it woke me up.. I just kills me when you see it coming and no place to go. Man was that loud. Off the fairing and bounced over my head.

The Good news I rode back <grin>

The cool news I checked my MPG on this ride..

I filled up before I left the house, 3.5 gallons to top it off, my gas gauge was showing half full and set the trip meter. So on the way home I watched my gauge and hit Columbia showing 157.7 on the trip and showing half a tank on the gauge.. it was 3.6 to top it off. 45 MPG ! In stop and go traffic lots of construction on the road.

The funny news…

I stopped in Alexandria at a local gas station entering town to inspect the rock damage.. Hoping it glanced off.. nope..but while I was inspecting the damage, I stepped in some oil and didn’t know it.

So off I go about 5 miles to the meeting, down a hill and catch a red light.. My foot slips off my brake!.. I look down.. OIL on my peddle.. Oil on my foot board.. OH NO>> my mind took off.. I’m blowing oil.. somewhere? Crap.. did I over fill? Did a plug come lose? Am I throwing oil out my filter? .. Thanks guys for all the possibilities <grin>

Phew.. I pull over…. Inspect the bike.. Not a drop anywhere? I look at my boot.. ahhhhhhh how do I spell relief ?

Then the other dumb thing.. I panic on today..

I stopped in Columbia for some gas.to .check the mileage.. I’m a happy camper with the results..
I go inside the store buy a Pepsi.. gulp that down.. And I had moved my bike off the pump island and in front of the station.. I come out.. and with the right side of my bike facing me, I see a pool of fluid on the ground.. and it dripping from the left side.. I think PRIMARY.. OH NO>> MY BOOGER!…………. a moment of panic then I realize it’s the gas overflow.. Phew….

The bad news…………$ 2.41 a gallon!

The acrobatic trick of the day, on the way home I had a jean shirt on (I didn’t think I could push it to far wearing a T-Shirt, the jeans caught all the managers eyes) so a pocket for my smokes.. well they decide to fly out at 65 mph, And yes.. A nice one handed catch.. if I say so myself.. it had to look kind of strange from behind.. standing up to catch a pack of smokes..

The good news.. a great ride up and down.. No rain, hot as it can be.. And the bike running smooth the only problem today was me <grin>

Old 08-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default RE: A Good news Bad news day

Good news, you know where the problem is
Bad news, you work with **** retentive b-stards that don't like jeans, let alone t-shirts.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome...good read...I ride every day to work. When you ride that much, things are gonna happen, you just learn to cope and get to be a better rider for it. Last week I got caught in a monsoon, 1/4 mile visibility, 30-40 mph winds, and the rain was coming down in fist sized drops. I was one wet sack of stuff when I got home.

Mac

Old 08-12-2005, 05:06 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Awesome...good read...I ride every day to work. When you ride that much, things are gonna happen, you just learn to cope and get to be a better rider for it. Last week I got caught in a monsoon, 1/4 mile visibility, 30-40 mph winds, and the rain was coming down in fist sized drops. I was one wet sack of stuff when I got home.

Mac
Happened to me twice this week. Once with pebble sized hail. Damn weather people said we would have thunder storms starting at 1:00pm and I get off at noon. Storms started at 11:30.[:@] Rode anyway

Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

definitley sounded like you had a full day and an interesting one.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:40 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Sure sounds like you enjoyed yourself after all the good news bad news with a relitively uneventfull day

Old 08-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

thanks for sharing - understand that it was a good/bad situation type of event, but gosh, I sure did enjoy reading about it.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Pat
Road Master

It's all part of the fun isn't it?