General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID vs. Halogen lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HID vs. Halogen lights

still reasearching lighting options for my bike. I ride in deer country and need to see better than my current stock set-up ( 5 3/4 bucket; 55 watt halogen ).
option 1 is to change to a 7 inch bucket and higher wattage halogen bulb
option two is to add additional lights ,but I don't really want to do this , just don't want the christmas tree look on a wideglide.
option 3 is HID , expensive but I'll go that route if thats where the light is .
any input from ya'll ??

Old 02-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID vs. Halogen lights

I've been thinking of switching to HID headlights myself. I saw a blip on American Thunder the other day where Kuryakyn was promoting them. From what they showed on the tube they're the next best thing to sliced bread. The HID'sshowed considerably further down the road and lit the sides up more then 50% then halogen headlights. I currently run the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in my Ultra, and I must say they do quite a good job, but seeing I also live in deer country, I still want something better so I'm probably going to invest in the HID system. After all, its only money.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21506/B9E12E358C6A46A58A7EE142FD4957D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

thats the way I'm leaning to , I really don't want to let the deer get revenge on me for hunting them by killing me LOL, the more I google , the more I think HID is the way to go , looks like all the newer stuff is even dual beam

Old 02-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain

I know what your talkin about. I hit a deer back in '82. I was riding my scoot up in northern Wisconsin when I rounded a curve just in time to seea very large doe start to cross the road. When I stopped rolling the deer was dead and I was all broken up, literally. Ever since, I have hated the friggin animals. If it were up to me hunters could hunt the useless animals year round, with machine guns and hand grenades...LOL

Anyway, take a look at www.mandmcycles.com to find those Kuryakyn HID lights at a discounted price. This is where I'm going to order them for my Ultra...

Ride safe.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:02 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

still reasearching lighting options for my bike. I ride in deer country and need to see better than my current stock set-up ( 5 3/4 bucket; 55 watt halogen ).
option 1 is to change to a 7 inch bucket and higher wattage halogen bulb
option two is to add additional lights ,but I don't really want to do this , just don't want the christmas tree look on a wideglide.
option 3 is HID , expensive but I'll go that route if thats where the light is .
any input from ya'll ??
Lighting helps for deer no doubt, but some times they dart out on you on the sides, in PA they tend to run along side the road with you, then stage right of left right into your path, I have been lucky, but met someone years back that wasn’t he was on a sporty it came down on it’s side (after the deer) ripped the carb right off the engine, he walks with a cane and as far as I know, still rides in the Pocono’s PA

Try these links below the first are the manual type been around for decades they have a good record, as long as your doing at least 30 mph (that’s easy : ) and the second one is 12 Volt, they both use high freq. that gets the deer attention it usually freezes, by then your long gone.

cj

http://www.sav-a-life.com/Deeralert_intro.htm

http://www.xp3hornet.com/products.shtml

Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I started a tread in the baggers forum, specially for brighter bulbs. It appears the consensus may be HID, however, from what was posted they are only a single filament option... or low beam only.

When I upgrade, going with Sylvania Silverstars until I decide on the RIGHT HID option for my scoot.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

the new HID (aftermarket, not H.D.)are dual beam High/low , they are using somekind of shade or "squirrel cage" to do this.
how do you like the silver stars ??

Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BREAD

I started a tread in the baggers forum, specially for brighter bulbs. It appears the consensus may be HID, however, from what was posted they are only a single filament option... or low beam only.

When I upgrade, going with Sylvania Silverstars until I decide on the RIGHT HID option for my scoot.
BREAD,

This is what I found on another site

<<<<<<<<<<<&lt ;,

Silverstar Ultra!!

Don't buy them. Waste of money. At that price, buy PIAA if you don't go HID. I went through two pairs of Silverstars within a month. So if the regular bulbs last 14 days, 20% longer means an extra 3 days?
get Osram Silverstars, none of that Sylvania Junk.
Osram is the European company. Their silverstar bulbs are not coated and clear. You will get more light output but not blue/purple light like the Sylvania Silverstars here.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=11294564

I ran with some of those aftermarket "off-road use only"bright H4, 65/100 until I saw the headlight connection starting to melt ! and I didn't use them all that much on hi-beam ! so I got a Xenon at a hd dealler it's not too bad, also remember it's notso much the headlight bulb that gives you the patteren, but the cuts in the headlight glass, but I see here on this post some people have a problem with deer and it seems the deer in their area have manners by not jumping out on you if you run a bright light ?

maybe some can send them here to PA

cj

Old 02-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain

I don't understand whyCJ has had such problems with the Sylvania Silverstars. I have been runningone in my Ultra for months now and never had a problem. I would maybe guess his bike is either putting out to much voltage or maybe a bad ground. I work part time at auto parts store and we sell Silverstars by the dozens and very rarely have them come back as defective. Most of the times if a bulb does come back its because of the owners stupidity where they touched the glass part of the bulb with their fingers. This action puts oil from the hands onto the bulb thus causing a hot spot that parametrically burns the bulb out.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:32 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I also a 5 3/4 headlight. I bought this blue coated light that when turned on goes to a briliant extra white....white. 60 watt bulb,much better than stock. Along with these 30 watt silver bullets, I can see pretty good now........Compaired to stock

[IMG]local://upfiles/20407/86F21B8AD8C247C687A3BF8249130547.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20407/B9CF079D539045898592DA5DDC391280.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: HID vs. Halogen lights