General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID vs. Halogen lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID vs. Halogen lights

ORIGINAL: Lil Truckr

I don't understand whyCJ has had such problems with the Sylvania Silverstars. I have been runningone in my Ultra for months now and never had a problem. I would maybe guess his bike is either putting out to much voltage or maybe a bad ground. I work part time at auto parts store and we sell Silverstars by the dozens and very rarely have them come back as defective. Most of the times if a bulb does come back its because of the owners stupidity where they touched the glass part of the bulb with their fingers. This action puts oil from the hands onto the bulb thus causing a hot spot that parametrically burns the bulb out.
Lil Truckr

"I don't understand why CJ has had such problems with the Sylvania Silverstars. I have been running one in my Ultra for months now and never had a problem."

I have a problem with "Sylvania Silverstars" ?? that is very good you have had no problems, let me list my problems.

1- I don’t have any personal problems with "Sylvania Silverstars” never had them.

2- All I did was to post someones else’s problems with "Sylvania Silverstars”

“ I would maybe guess his bike is either putting out to much voltage or maybe a bad ground.”

Re-read number 1

“ I work part time at auto parts store and we sell Silverstars by the dozens and very rarely have them come back as defective. Most of the times if a bulb does come back its because of the owners stupidity where they touched the glass part of the bulb with their fingers. This action puts oil from the hands onto the bulb thus causing a hot spot that parametrically burns the bulb out."

Again that is very good advise on handling any type of bulb. The only slight problem (and it is slight) is that some people think, if one runs a brighter light, it keeps deer away fromtheir bike ? this is something new to me and if this is true I want to know about it, other than one can see better and wider, again what does that have to do with keeping deer running out in front of you, except maybe giving the deer a better view of the road ?

cj

Old 02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

brighter light = seeing deer sooner/easier = being prepared for defensive actions sooner= not hitting deer because prepared in advance= not crapping my pants while sliding down road on top of aformentioned deer

Old 02-04-2007, 03:26 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive been running these 55w-100w bulbs for close to 20 years now and never had a problem with them and they are only about $7 from J&P. I'm in Deer country too and they do help in spotting them.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productdetai...ge=&search=

Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

brighter light = seeing deer sooner/easier = being prepared for defensive actions sooner= not hitting deer because prepared in advance= not crapping my pants while sliding down road on top of aformentioned deer
zukeeper

“brighter light = seeing deer sooner/easier = being prepared for defensive actions sooner= not hitting deer because prepared in advance= not crapping my pants while sliding down road on top of aformentioned deer.”

Sounds like a perfect world solution : - )

You did notice I said just that, brighter lights are helpful, but in no way are they a fix all in the deer problem, its just one more tool we have.

brighter light = seeing farther down the road = giving false impression of security and not really paying attention ?

As in eyes are darting from side to side of the road, unless one has a false impression exists of seeing peripheral vision at 90 degs on both right and left of you ? as in the last two deer crossings I heard about from co-workers, deer running along side of a car (both said must be the case since at the last second, side vision was the deer making a 90 deg cut in front) coming out running into the side of the truck/car, in both cases left cuts.

I think if anyone runs in deer country, yes brighter light and some devise that has a proven history of working, with both, the odds get a little better, but with one, it’s somewhat a false sense of security, better not to ride dusk to dawn.

I did like the part about crapping ones pants, that I guess would be the truth, then the two hit.

cj

Old 02-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain

"I think if anyone runs in deer country, yes brighter light and some devise that has a proven history of working, with both, the odds get a little better, but with one, it’s somewhat a false sense of security, better not to ride dusk to dawn"

Not ride from dusk to dawn! You might as well sell you scoot and crawl into a cage for transportation and safety. NOT!

As many have stated, brighter headlights are just a tool to help you watch out for deer. Nothing replaces common sense and being very attentive. Common sense = don't drive like a mad man in deer country especially at the dusk hours. Being attentive = move your eyes. Don't do the tunnel vision eyes when you're motoring down the road.

And CJ, I'm sorry if I assumed you had personal bad experiences with the Silverstar. That's just what I assumed when I read your thread and you know what they say about people that assume something...[]

Old 02-04-2007, 03:57 PM
dietdewboy
Tourer

I'm doing the same thing as JB, 55w-100w. makes a world of difference. On another note, I have run both PIAA and Silverstars in my truck..PIAA's dont last near as long as Silver stars for me anyway

Old 02-04-2007, 05:10 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Lil Truckr

"I think if anyone runs in deer country, yes brighter light and some devise that has a proven history of working, with both, the odds get a little better, but with one, it’s somewhat a false sense of security, better not to ride dusk to dawn"

Not ride from dusk to dawn! You might as well sell you scoot and crawl into a cage for transportation and safety. NOT!

As many have stated, brighter headlights are just a tool to help you watch out for deer. Nothing replaces common sense and being very attentive. Common sense = don't drive like a mad man in deer country especially at the dusk hours. Being attentive = move your eyes. Don't do the tunnel vision eyes when you're motoring down the road.

And CJ, I'm sorry if I assumed you had personal bad experiences with the Silverstar. That's just what I assumed when I read your thread and you know what they say about people that assume something...[]
Cj quote:

"Not ride from dusk to dawn! You might as well sell you scoot and crawl into a cage for transportation and safety. NOT! "

"As many have stated, brighter headlights are just a tool to help you watch out for deer. Nothing replaces common sense and being very attentive. Common sense = don't drive like a mad man in deer country especially at the dusk hours. Being attentive = move your eyes. Don't do the tunnel vision eyes when you're motoring down the road. "
That’s all I have to do ? that simple thing as that ? then I can ride dusk to dawn ! thats it ? just be attentive ? have a strong light ! for crackers sake, now someone tells me !
Lil Truckr, all kidding aside, of course it’s common sense, I hope everyone rides like that, but unless you have the stats that every rider/s that was taken out by a deer, was riding like a banshee, riding with poor lighted bike, I don’t live in Truman’s World’s there got to be more to it, than just brighter headlight.

"And CJ, I'm sorry if I assumed you had personal bad experiences with the Silverstar. That's just what I assumed when I read your thread and you know what they say about people that assume something...[]"
Yeah I do, so how about going back too post and re-read #1
1- I don’t have any personal problems with "Sylvania Silverstars" never had them.
And remember this when on them deer hiways and your really paying attention to that strong headlight.
Think how to make God smile ??? make plans ! : - ))))))))))))))
[left][co

Old 02-04-2007, 05:46 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dietdewboy

I'm doing the same thing as JB, 55w-100w. makes a world of difference. On another note, I have run both PIAA and Silverstars in my truck..PIAA's dont last near as long as Silver stars for me anyway
"dietdewboy"

“I'm doing the same thing as JB, 55w-100w. makes a world of difference. On another note, I have run both PIAA and Silverstars in my truck..PIAA's dont last near as long as Silver stars for me anyway “

You don’t have to convince me about the 100watterpower, I use them, I didn’t just say that it started to melt my 3-prong connection to the headlight for Shlts and Giggles either, I am telling anybody who runs that set up to check their headlight 3 prong connection /wire feed for damage of the extra amps that feeds that 100watt bulb and the wiring for it was design to cover 75 watts (including the built in safety factor)

I try to learn from other people experiences / mistakes and when I do something and find out it wasn’t such a good idea in the first place I pass it on, but more and more I see if I mention somebody’s brand or what they use (and they like it) it seems I get all kinds of grief, instead of playing it smart and check a simple thing as taking your headlight out and seeing if there is any damage, if there is none, so be it, if there is, then a simple fix to the auto store does it. So unless my ride was put together on a Monday or Friday with the wrong size wire gauge, then it might mean anybody who runs that set up of a 100 watt headlight may run into the same problem, ya think ?

cj