General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't you have a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013 | 04:40 PM

Geek I think you hit the nail on the head. Some bikes should n some should not have windshields. I think too often, guys buy a hog because it looks like what they want, rather than buy what suits their needs. Think the entire softtail line. I've seen too many guys over the years buy a bike, then ride a few months and realize they bought the wrong model. Rather than sell it or research n get it right from the start, they dump a ton of money into parts to turn the apple into an orange. That's why you see the clean lines of a softtail, or a trim, agile dyna loaded down with some silly looking bags and a windshield that ruins the lines of the bike. To the guys that will say they purposely bought a softtail custom and put bags on it or they bought an FXDX knowing they'd make it a touring bike....slow down.

Old 01-18-2013 | 06:50 PM
TheAddiction
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by patrickd
Windshields are for ***** azz old timers who can't take the wind in their face anymore.
So are FF helmets

Old 01-18-2013 | 07:39 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheAddiction
So are FF helmets
I wouldn't suggest you repeat that around the HA in Australia.

Of course they might just say you have them confused with someone who values your opinion.

Old 01-18-2013 | 07:43 PM
TheAddiction
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
I wouldn't suggest you repeat that around the HA in Australia.

Of course they might just say you have them confused with someone who values your opinion.
I'll remember that next time I ride to Australia.

Old 01-18-2013 | 08:43 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I like using mine in cold weather.

Old 01-19-2013 | 03:46 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member

Texas means bugs and seal coat roads. One or two 3/8" or 1/2" limestone hits from a seal coat highway in West Texas and you begin to appreciate the sissy screen.

Old 01-19-2013 | 08:02 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by patrickd
Windshields are for ***** azz old timers who can't take the wind in their face anymore.
Some people just ride around town, others go out of town on theirs...what is the furthest you've ridden? Do your friends call you 5 mile, because that is as far as you ride? Have you ever ridden 500 miles in one day for the fun of it?

Originally Posted by tomt
And while we are talking about windshields. Anyone who rides with a windshield or puts bags on their scoot, are *****'s.
I guess you have another form of transportation and don't go to the grocery store on your bike?

Old 01-20-2013 | 01:40 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member

To each their own. I do not understand why some have to put others down just because they do not do as they do. For many years I ran without a wind screen. First time I put one on my scoot was the last time. Because I have had one ever since.

Old 01-21-2013 | 07:47 AM
voodoomaster
Novice

Screens just make fast riding a bit easier on the arms, neck, shoulders, abs, back, face, hands, and whatever else that screen protects at speed.

Old 01-27-2013 | 10:03 PM
Cruiser

Nothing better than talking to a fine lady at the bar when bugs crawl out out your hair. ( back when I had it) putting a windshield on my bike stopped that and decreased bar time while upping giving rides to woman from the bars. Yeah made my beard blow up, and my noise itch, but I do remember getting more action.......

It does look better with it off

Quick Reply: Why don't you have a windshield?