General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't you have a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013 | 10:40 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sjef
Seems to me that most of you guys are scared to use a windshield because you think you'll look like an old *****. I don't care about all that silly crap so if I want my shield on I put it on, otherwise it's not on. Anybody that doesn't like it doesn't have to look at it.
That's not really a fair statement unless you would accept someone saying that most guys with windshields are scared of a little wind in their face and probably should be driving a convertable instead. I have plenty of friends who have either a windshield or a fairing and I never give them a hard time.

In my case, the wind never really bothers me and I actually like it. It's part of the experience of riding for me, and I'm sure that's the case for many others as well.

Old 01-17-2013 | 02:32 AM
Proteus
Road Master

I'm riding with a windshield on my XLC because I can't physically stand the stress in my neck at highway speed, where the speed limit is 75 MPH over here.

Strange enough, I can ride for hours at that speed on my 1972 BMW R 75/5 without any windshield, no neck issue.

the main difference between the two bikes is the riding position, sitting almost vertical on the Sporty, quite leaning forward on the Beemer.

About the looks, I really don't give a d*mn about one could think of me, if windshields are for pussies, well just call me ***** I guess.

ERRR: riding a Sportster, I already am a *****, windshield or not. Stand corrected!

Old 01-17-2013 | 08:23 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I really don't mind the look on the bike with the windshield on, but as someone else said, I don't like to look at it when I am riding. It just kind of gets in the way. They do serve a purpose though, and I do ride with mine a lot of the time. It does take some work to get rid of the buffeting, but I have mine down to where I don't notice it anymore except in a crosswind where nothing really helps.

Attached Thumbnails Why don't you have a windshield?-harley-with-new-seat.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013 | 09:49 AM
JoeDaddybiker
Novice

it doesn't really matter if you ride with the wind shield or not it all depends on what suits your needs I ride with a windshield because I don't enjoy getting rocks in bugs in my face. and no I would not buy a convertible because I ride with a windshield I still enjoy the ride of a bike. but no 1 should criticize anyone for what they like. so let all of us enjoy the open roadand look out for brother bikers

Old 01-17-2013 | 03:53 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Some windshields do hurt the "looks" of some bikes I agree, but after riding 400 miles with a backrest, hi-way pegs and a awesome looking fairing,,,, I'm sooo very glad my scoot has good "looks" with a shield

Old 01-17-2013 | 06:14 PM

Don't listen to me because I'm upside down and backwards. I rode a sporty as a kid then bought a fatboy in my early 20's. Dumped it 6 months later for a Roadking. Rode that a year then went road glide. That was '99. I rode an electraglide through my 20's & 30's but, did also have a dyna. when I was younger I used my windshield religiously. The older guys I rode with gave me **** for being so young on a geezer glide while they ran soft tails. Now they all take out their teeth n ride baggers. Oddly enough I'm on a dyna again. I think it's all about comfort. In my windshield days I was riding 10,000 miles a year, in any weather. Now I don't ride unless it's sunny. I ride about 4,000 miles a year. Oh yeah....who cares if you use a windshield or not? More mindless drivel to argue about

Old 01-17-2013 | 06:23 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain

I've used windshields in the past on other bikes. They work well. That said I'd not ever put one on my FXSTC.

Maybe a heritage, or Deluxe but not a softail custom. Not my style. I like the wind in my face and the slightly better gas mileage.

Old 01-18-2013 | 11:00 AM
glock221
Road Warrior

I have a windshield for part time use. I bought one when I rode from Iowa to Daytona. Good call. I used it when I rode from Iowa to Sturgis. Good call. The wife liked it going to Sturgis, I rode to Daytona alone. I hate the look. once I get to my destination, it comes off. I do use it in the summer if I ride to work sonce I wear business clothes and bugs really show on the clothes. The windshield helps. I am 41.

Old 01-18-2013 | 01:16 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Don't like the look but at 57 hanging on at 70 for long periods sucks. When I retire I'll probably get a bagger for long rides and trips.

Old 01-18-2013 | 01:31 PM
TheGeek
Road Warrior

I saw my old FXSTC at the dealer and they put a windshield and saddle bags on her....boy did she look fugly! Some bike are made for it and some bike are not.

Quick Reply: Why don't you have a windshield?