General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't you have a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013 | 02:45 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

So many folks always worried about what the next guy is doing. Threads like this, where people either feel the need to explain their actions or question the actions of others is why I prefer to hang out with my buddies who don't really give a **** about what someone else does.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time one of my friends asked me why I did something. And in instances like the OP where someone asked him I tend to just ignore people like that mostly because I am too stupid to come up with a cool quip.

**** you is usually an appropriate response.

I have no idea why I don't have a fairing. Laziness, stupidity, don't feel like it, cheap, take your pick.

Old 01-16-2013 | 02:53 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

The older I get the more pockets & I sure the hell need a windshield - My Goldwing GL1800 did a much better job of managing the wind then my Ultra does but the Ultra does a good enough job - I also bought a new shield with a vent in it I can open & close - Of coarse it come std. on a Wing - tom

Old 01-16-2013 | 03:32 PM
Cleve
Stage IV
Default Windshield

Hell am 71 I still don't ride with a windshied in town or on short ride. So it's not a age thing that count.

Old 01-16-2013 | 04:31 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Same way with me Cleve. I am 72 and love riding without one although on longer rides I put mine on. Same with baggers. I still ride my 99 Softail Custom. That is an old mans bike as far as I am concerned. LOL. Age has nothing to do with any of it. It is just what you want to ride and with what accessories you put on.

Old 01-16-2013 | 04:36 PM
barncat
Tourer

I tried a windshield on my WG and absolutely hate it. It cause an updraft straight up my snout, and will force me to braid my beard. Not to mention the visual distortion.
Worst experience of my life.

On the other hand, if the bike is designed to have a fairing and shield then it does a good job with the wind, I don't mind.

Old 01-16-2013 | 05:31 PM
Engineer70
Stage I

I ride a Crossbones with out a windscreen, sometimes in excess of 100mph,
and I'm 60 years old. Would a wind screen reduce fatigue? Most likely,
but I'm not going there yet.

Ponypuncher

Old 01-16-2013 | 07:09 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cleve
Hell am 71 I still don't ride with a windshied in town or on short ride. So it's not a age thing that count.
I would have to agree - it's not age it's health - mines not the greatest & cold air blowing on me doesn't help - trust me besides that I'm not a big fan of bugs hitting me in the face - tom

Old 01-16-2013 | 08:29 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I hear ya Tom. I put my windshield on when the bugs are bad here in Kansas. It's easier to clean than my teeth. LOL. But I really don't mind the cool air in the spring and fall without it after the bugs are gone. But only down to about 55 deg.

Old 01-16-2013 | 10:04 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Wind never really bothered me. The only time I kind of wished I had a windshield was on a 400 mile ride back home during the fall and the wind was blowing all over the place. But it still really wasn't that bad. Other than that day, never felt the need for a windshield. I always thought that when I got older I'd want one, but I'm 49 and still like the wind in my face. Guess I like to rough it. I don't see a bagger anytime in the near future for me.

Old 01-16-2013 | 10:25 PM
sjef
Road Captain

Seems to me that most of you guys are scared to use a windshield because you think you'll look like an old *****. I don't care about all that silly crap so if I want my shield on I put it on, otherwise it's not on. Anybody that doesn't like it doesn't have to look at it.

Quick Reply: Why don't you have a windshield?