General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't you have a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013 | 04:55 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior

A windshield takes away one of the reasons I ride. I want to feel the wind.

Old 01-15-2013 | 05:02 PM
popome
Novice

I make my bike look good it doesn't make me look good or cool no matter what. Don't want that wind blowing my hairpiece off...lol

Old 01-15-2013 | 05:03 PM
BndrBobH
Stage III
Default windshield?

Looks like some here haven't run into an unexpected cloud burst or ridden behind a truck throwing small rocks. The windshield comes off easy for around the town, but out on the highway I wouldn't be without one for safety reasons -- because of flying solid or liquid objects, not wind. Wind is good!

Bob H.
2006 FLHRCI

Old 01-15-2013 | 05:21 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior

I've caught plenty of small rocks, downpours and one crow to the chest. I also ride down to 32°F. Still not worth taking the wind away.

Old 01-15-2013 | 05:30 PM
fogline
Cruiser

I thought I'd test the difference.
Denver. 27 degrees.
I took my Bonneville, no wind shield, out for a 20 mile ride, half at Highway speeds.
Didn't take my full face, just a half helmet and a balaclava.
Came home, fired up the FXDXT with a windshield and left for the same route, same helmet.
Observations:
It didn't matter too much until I got on the highway.
The windshield not only kept the cold off of my face but also off of my chest. The ride was calmer and far more comfortable. My body was warmer.
By moving my head to the side, I could feel the protected spot and was glad to tuck into it.
With both bikes, my hands were #$*%'n cold, even with my best gloves and liners. A Bat or Shark would have helped.
I only saw one other rider, dressed like an Eskimo riding a Road Glide.

Conclusions:
The wind shield made a big difference on my willingness to ride further at these temps.
At no time did I even consider what anyone thought about me or how my bike looked.
It was still fun on either bike but I like the Harley better.

I think I'll go do another test.
Don't laugh cause I'm taking my mittens.

Old 01-15-2013 | 05:48 PM
103RATRIDE
Cruiser

Windshield is going to take away the whole reason I ride, if I want to travel on the road behind something then why not jump in the car? And for those who use it because they are cold all I gotta say it SUCK IT UP CUPCAKE!!!!

Old 01-15-2013 | 05:56 PM
trooper50
Road Captain

Originally Posted by magna
At 65 I should really get a shield, would no doubt help the odd aches and pains I get when I ride in windy weather, just think they f**k up the look of the bike though.
You're the man! Like your answer the best.

Old 01-15-2013 | 05:58 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 103RATRIDE
Windshield is going to take away the whole reason I ride, if I want to travel on the road behind something then why not jump in the car? And for those who use it because they are cold all I gotta say it SUCK IT UP CUPCAKE!!!!
I'd rather be riding behind a windshield in 25* weather than be in a car any day. Anyone that says they aren't cold without one in that temp is full of bollocks. lol

Old 01-15-2013 | 06:01 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by fogline
I thought I'd test the difference.
Denver. 27 degrees.
I took my Bonneville, no wind shield, out for a 20 mile ride, half at Highway speeds.
Didn't take my full face, just a half helmet and a balaclava.
Came home, fired up the FXDXT with a windshield and left for the same route, same helmet.
Observations:
It didn't matter too much until I got on the highway.
The windshield not only kept the cold off of my face but also off of my chest. The ride was calmer and far more comfortable. My body was warmer.
By moving my head to the side, I could feel the protected spot and was glad to tuck into it.
With both bikes, my hands were #$*%'n cold, even with my best gloves and liners. A Bat or Shark would have helped.
I only saw one other rider, dressed like an Eskimo riding a Road Glide.

Conclusions:
The wind shield made a big difference on my willingness to ride further at these temps.
At no time did I even consider what anyone thought about me or how my bike looked.
It was still fun on either bike but I like the Harley better.

I think I'll go do another test.
Don't laugh cause I'm taking my mittens.
Crack open your wallet and invest in a pair of Gerbing gloves. You're welcome.

Old 01-15-2013 | 07:08 PM
wayslow
Tourer

Both my bikes have detach windshields. I ain't young in years but I still like the wind in my face....up to a point. If I'm gonna be out an hour or more at highway speeds, I'll probly put on the windshield and be damned to the looks of it. But short trippin' I'd rather leave it off.

Quick Reply: Why don't you have a windshield?