General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't you have a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013 | 01:13 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

I switched over to a full time windshield last summer, but went for years without one (mostly) and loved it.

Old 01-01-2013 | 07:53 PM
dta0251
Cruiser

Some years back, I bought a Honda cruiser on eBay. It was in Knoxville TN, about a thousand miles from home, and it was late November when I went to pick it up and ride it home. I took a windshield with me to put on it, but twisted a bolt off one of the custom mounting pieces and couldn't wait around trying to find replacement hardware. So I took off without it.

That trip was a miserable experience. Plenty of cold, wind and rain (did not have a full face helmet), and I was under a time crunch and couldn't layover until the weather got better, had to keep going. My hands were tired and stiff for days afterward just from hanging onto the bars trying not to get blown off the bike. When I got home I parked that thing in the garage and didn't want to see it again for about a week. So I guess you can use all those uncomplimentary terms for people who like windshields for me, because I simply enjoy riding more with one.

In addition to that, with my Heritage, I think the shield is just part of the design and look of that specific model.

Old 01-02-2013 | 12:08 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

I also found a backrest helped when fighting the wind blast too.

Old 01-02-2013 | 03:30 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

You ain't old yet

Old 01-02-2013 | 05:50 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member

If I could find a windshield that would fit my bike 02 WG with after market bars, and not look weird I'd probably get one.

My spin is fried in my neck, and on a semi long ride at 70 to 80 MPH I'll have a killer head ache for hours.

I've heard once you ride with one, you'll never go back.

My old boss had one custom made for his Shadow that went about 6" above his head.

Old 01-15-2013 | 12:45 PM
barryd1953
Novice

spoken like a true weekend hobby rider that only rides when its sunny and warm

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:06 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have one because:

(a) I dont need one, and...
(b) If I needed one, I cant afford it anyway, so I revert to (a)

I would have liked to have one for some of my longer 1000 mile + trips, but i survived without, so back to (a), again...

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:09 PM
NorthSideTrash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zukeeper
i ride long distance in the cold. not running a shield has never been about looks to me , I just don't like them in front of me. I don't know how to explain it , but without a shield the view is open and crisp, behind a shield ( even looking over one ) a lot of the view just seems muddied up...I don't know how to say what I mean , but I bet folks like me that don't run them understand what I am meaning.
Yes I understand what you mean. I am 63 and own a SG and a FXR. Riding the FXR without a windshield is the true experience of riding a motorcycle that keeps me riding. The SG if for when my lady wants to ride with me on long trips. I have wondered why riders that need their windshields and back rest and cup holders and full face helmets don't just buy a Mazda Miata. I guess to each his own but I ride for the true experience of riding a motorcycle. If that ever becomes too demanding then it will be time for that Miata.

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:27 PM
steamybob
Tourer

Last week, in the two days of winter that it's been fit to ride so far, I did 50 miles at a constant 80mph. Beach bars and no screen - it was like being kicked in the chest by a mule!

Give me the mule any day of the week!

If I want to go behind glass I'll go in the car. I'd rather be behind bars!

Last edited by steamybob; 01-15-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2013 | 03:54 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

My Sportster Custom doesn't have a shield because they don't look right on this model. When I want to ride behind a shield I use my BMW.

Quick Reply: Why don't you have a windshield?