General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle grip is loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Drew91666
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle grip is loose

Drew91666 11:27 PM Yesterday
My throttle grip is loose. What I mean is that it jiggles from left to right. I noticed this after I had my bars replaced. Its not crazy loose but it most definatley feels funky. Would moving the switch housing to the right/closer to the grip fix the problem or is there a way to tighten it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drew91666
Drew91666 11:27 PM Yesterday
My throttle grip is loose. What I mean is that it jiggles from left to right. I noticed this after I had my bars replaced. Its not crazy loose but it most definatley feels funky. Would moving the switch housing to the right/closer to the grip fix the problem or is there a way to tighten it?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Actually just the opposite of what you are thinking. What you want to do is move your grip end closer to the end of the bar. Loosen your switch housing and your brake perch then push it as far as it will go to the left then tighten everything back down.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
Actually just the opposite of what you are thinking. What you want to do is move your grip end closer to the end of the bar. Loosen your switch housing and your brake perch then push it as far as it will go to the left then tighten everything back down.
Yeah, just make sure you don't push it so far left it binds after you tighten it

Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might just be me but doesn't the throttle rest inside the housing? Moving the housing isn't going to make a difference the throttle will still move with the housing. Nothing solved.

Did you have play before you changed your bars? Did you use you the manual and make sure it was all by the book?

Cable adjustments might be called for to tighten everything up again.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

It was that way on my King too after I had my bars installed, not a big deal, you get used to it. The tech looked at it, tried to tighten things up a bit, moved the housing to the left, etc, didnt notice much difference. Is what is, I guess

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

one or two nylon spacers (cut to fit inside of grip end ) will fix it.
as one of the posters said , dont make it tight enough to bind

Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Drew91666
Advanced

So moving the housing to the left will tighten it? I will try it this weekend and let you know the result.

BBStacker- I didn't notice it being loose before the bar installation I had a mobile guy install them for me.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Drew91666
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
I am confused. How would moving the switch housing AWAY from the grip help tighten it?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

The bar runs inside through the switch housing and then through the grip. Since the movement started after the bars were changed out, the actual bar end isn't as long as the previous bars were. So, the bar end isn't making it to the end of the grip allowing the grip to slide side to side some. If you loosen the switch housing and brake perch and move it left, because it holds the grip in place, it pulls the grip end closer to the bar end inside. This may not solve the problem. If not, using a spacer inside, at the end of the grip, it will take up that space between the bar end and the end of the grip thus eliminating that side to side play.

My solution? I had the same thing after I did my bar swap. I took my grip off, dropped a quarter that I had in my pocket down in it and put the grip back on. No more play

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 12-22-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Normal.

Quick Reply: Throttle grip is loose