General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you guys 'that' patriotic about everything else in your daily lives?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:55 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are you guys 'that' patriotic about everything else in your daily lives?

This subject gets more complicated every day. I'm shopping for a new pickup. Do I buy a Toyota that was manufactured in Texas or a Chevy that was made in Mexico? Almost all major companies are publicly traded - guess how many of them are owned by foreigners now!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are you guys 'that' patriotic about everything else in your daily lives?

Hey Clammy........it's a little know fact that........Mexico.......is in NORTH America.......actually, they are Norte Americanos if you want to get right down to it..........

for a semi-off topic aside, I just heard on the radio this morning that there is a Deputy Sheriff in Edwards Co. Texas named Hernandez that will be going to the Federal Pen for 10 years for firing at a car full of "Undocumented Immigrants" that were only "lookingfor work to try to survive" when they tried to run over him when he stopped them for a traffic violation......shrapnel of some sort, car or bullet??, went through the lip of one of them and she lost two or three teeth and was released from the hospital the same day...now he's under Federal Indictment (sp.?).......very disturbing.........I think it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.............

Old 02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife drives a Saturn

Old 02-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Always look for the "Made in the USA" label.but as some have posted,somethimes you just can't help it.Only owned one foreign car(Maserati),everthing else has been USA

Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here is my take. Obviously we can't buy only USA products. But I do whenever I can and am willing to pay more for it. Are you really paying more? Consider the jobs that are leaving. I have two neighbors who are losing their jobs as I type due to manufacturing leaving the country. How much $$ did you save when the lost job is yours or one of your family members? I can promise each person reading this, if they have not been affected....they eventually will be. The company I work for has a manufacturing plant in Tulsa. It employs over 300 people not including employees' such as myself. We are constantly fighting foreign markets. We will eventually lose. This story is common. So I will contiue to buy all I can to support USA companies the same way I would expect anyone to support their own country and economy. Problem is too many people in this country have been spoon fed and don't get it.......yet.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:34 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

You are attempting to compare Apples to Oranges.

When people were talking about buying the Harley, they had the OPTION to buy it or not. It is a Luxury Item, notan itemthat is needed to function in everyday life.
Comparing apples to oranges? Absolutely not. This thread speaks to those individuals who are Pro-American EVERYTHING. At least that is what their posts would lead one to conclude. As such, the logically posed question, "Is EVERYTHING you purchase 100% American?"
Yes , you are attempting to compare Apples to Oranges. To attempt to take my statement out of context, and then further attempt that it eludes to peoples Patriotisim. Well thats just plain ludicrist. You need to read my ENTIRE response to your attempt at questioning other peoples Patriotisim.

here let me run and get it for you...........

Now with your other examples, people need to make a choice. Sadly that choice is slowly erroding away, since our economy is becoming more of a service based one, and alot of our manufacturing has or is moving offshore.

Add in the need for most people to attempt to streach thier dollars, and the ever increasing swing of merchants to buy offshore products in search of those dollars.

And it becomes an ever increasing task to actually BUY AMERICAN. It won't be long that the catch phrase will be ...BUY FROM AN AMERICAN.
Now I understand, that to a select few, the difference between a Luxury Item, and the purchasers option to buy it or not, would be confusing.

AndI also understand, that there would be those that could be also confused by the ABILITY toLOCATE an American MADE or ASSEMBLED product in an enviroment of PRICE MATTERS.

Price Matters for the manufacturer in goods, produced for a large retail corporation.
Prce Matters to the purchaser for a large retail corporation.
Price Matters for the legislators when setiing tariffs of goods to constituants.
Price Matters for the end user when making a selection of goods basing thier ability to purchase, on thier ability to earn, in a Price Matters enviroment, while earning in a Service related enviroment.

It really becomes a matter of a extreme circle, and that circle is now resembling the one made in the bowl when you flush, when we are talking about the American manufacturing capabilities.

Just a little FYI... The American Soldier, when fully outfitteted in field gear, has at his/her disposal 10-13% American Made Products. The rest come from offshore manufacturing facilities of American based corporations.

Uncle Sam is having a tough time BUYING AMERICAN these days.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:35 PM
C.Jay
Tourer

I did a search on all of the threads concerning metric bikes, made a list of all those who were condescending of said bikes and had nothing good to say about them, and then did a search on the following words: "toyota, nissan, acura, honda" etc. The results were startling(No, I won't share them with you, do yer own research) more than half of the metric bike haters turned right around and said: "I wouldn't buy a Ford/Dodge/GM if ya paid me, my toyota has 17 million miles and gets 97 mpg, until Detroit makes a decent rig, I'll by sumptin' else!!!"

Just thought it was interesting....

Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wife says I'm the most patriotic pearson shes ever seen....
every morn before the alarm goes off Full salute, standin full attention,,, teepee thing goin on!!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

here let me run and get it for you...........
Your sarcasm aside, I can respect your position nonetheless. This, regardless of whether or not I may be in agreement.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 PM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

foreign competition and outsourcing is squeezing the american family. Long gone are the days when Mrs. Cleaver tended to Wally and The Beaver and had a home cooked meal for hubby when he came home. now, in many instances, BOTH have to work, and companies are SQUEEZING their employees at the same time. Look at Harley who wants to pay new employees less. I've read many posts who believe that new employees should be paid less, giving them time to learn, but, IMO, those folks missed the entire point. It's not a training phase pay scale, because even when trained, that new Harley worker will make XX % LESS than his counterpart who has been there for 10 years. Now, that NEW employee will have to purchase a more expensive home on LESS salary, and all the other associated problems with having a 2 tier wage system. Sure, it's good for harley, but Harley won't reduce the price of the bike. Hence, that young worker WILL stretch the dollar as far as it can go, even if it means having to go to Wally World, or purchase a Toyota instead of a Chevy (if it's cheaper).

I've had American made products that stand up well to use, and I've had American made products that are CRAP to say the least. A German company owns Chrysler now, and maybe Toyota will buy out Ford soon.

Suffice it to say that I purchase what I BELIEVE is the best product for the best price, regardless of Country of Origin.
IF that product is made in the USA, I'll buy it. If not, I won't.
It's simple economics and $$$ for Mr and Mrs America.

Quick Reply: Are you guys 'that' patriotic about everything else in your daily lives?