General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you guys 'that' patriotic about everything else in your daily lives?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are you guys 'that' patriotic about everything else in your daily lives?

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

When people were talking about buying the Harley, they had the OPTION to buy it or not. It is a Luxury Item, notan itemthat is needed to function in everyday life.
Exactly what I was gonna say. This is the reason I have no qualms buying a Harley and it could very well be the reason they were able to come back from the brink of ruin and continue their success.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,442 Likes on 4,357 Posts
Default RE: Are you guys 'that' patriotic about everything else in your daily lives?

Yeah, the new, global economy is mainly new to the U.S. ... not to the rest of the world. Whereever we are going, we aren't there yet, and I see some darksides when it comes to impacts on American workers. The entrepreneurs have already made huge fortunes on outsourcing, etc. and a fair amount of that fortune flows in weird ways to politicians to keep it up.

Economics gets to be as complex as religion or DNA mapping.

ORIGINAL: Mikey 1450

Many times even when you think you are buying American, its really made or is an assembly of foreign parts. That includes Harley. Its all about $

Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

You are attempting to compare Apples to Oranges.

When people were talking about buying the Harley, they had the OPTION to buy it or not. It is a Luxury Item, notan itemthat is needed to function in everyday life.
Comparing apples to oranges? Absolutely not. This thread speaks to those individuals who are Pro-American EVERYTHING. At least that is what their posts would lead one to conclude. As such, the logically posed question, "Is EVERYTHING you purchase 100% American?"

Following your rationale above, are you to stating that one cannot 'function in everyday life'solely onAmerican made products and/or services? Not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing. Merely posing the question in response to the quote above. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Softail Sam
Tourer

The day is rapidly approaching when I will not be able to purchase an American made automobile or amotorcycle for that matter.
Until that day I will buy American made iron for as long as I can. (yes I know there is foreign content in them)

It is already impossible to buy 100% American products. Almost all steel, electonics and now textile manufacturing is done overseas.
I am not a fan of this global economy. It weakens America for us to be dependent on others for things we used to be able to make for ourselves.

I am a self-employed business owner that sells components to high tech companies. I see this mass outsourcing of American parts and jobs everyday.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

right down to the toilet paper made from recycled Bud cans!!! lol

Old 02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[sm=happybounce.gif]

[sm=popcorn.gif]

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

I open this topic for purposes of what I hope to be a calm, logical,and civil discussion.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,860 Likes on 807 Posts

I do my level best to buy North American manufactured goods. As you say, it's often impossible, but I do try. It's not so much "patriotism", as I find the quality to be better than 3rd world slave-labour made imports. I don't mind paying more for quality, but it REALLY pisses me off when a company moves their manufacturing to some third world craphole, the quality goes down the tubes, and they STILL charge the same prices. Doc Marten's boots is a perfect example of that. The last pair I bought were absolutely horribly made. I found out AFTER I'd paid 200 bucks for them that they'd moved their amunfacturing to china... and it shows. Just brutal! These boots aren't worth 20 bucks, never mind 200![:@] I have bought my last pair of DMs.

I REALLY try to avoid goods made in china, as I have found them to be the worst of the worst quality-wise.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

I also want to applaude you TX on this post.

In my opinion, I think you have to seperate this post into two areas - 1. Patriotic in your daily lives or 2. by products you purchase.

I have the privledge of working for an American company that produces 100% American products which everyone sees today. (We make lights and sirens for municipal vehicles and communities.)

As far as my purchasing, I have tried to purchase an American product whenever I could. Every vehicle in my family (not just my immediate family) is a GM made vehicle. Appliances and electronics are not (MY kenmore products sold by Sears are made oversees.) My food products are made in the good old U.S. of A. (I so love being in the country.....)

As far as being patriotic in my daily life, I don't really think I am, but I once overheard a friend of mine telling someone "Nick is the most patriotic guy you'll ever meet." Now I'll admit that I never served in the military, however I look out from my front porch, look at my kids, and look at this beautiful country from my scoot and think - a lot of people died so that I could enjoy this wonderful place without boundaries. I do wear a POW/MIA jacket almost every day of the year along with a baseball cap that has an eagle on it, along with an American flag. Whenever I see a soldier in uniform I make it a point to walk up to them and shake their hand and tell tham "Thank you for your service to this country." If I find out that a person served but is in civilian clothes when I see them, I do the same thing. First thing I did after buying my house was to daig a hole in the front yard by hand and put a 20' flagpole in it. I fly "Old Glory" every minute of every day while keeping up with the flag code.

I know that some people will not read all of this but, it is who I am. Society needs to slow down and take time to "Smell the roses" as a songwriter once said. A "Genuine" Harley Davidson is an iconic symbol of the American way of life representing freedom. That freedom gives everyone a right to choose whatever scoot they want. I choose to have an iconic legendary name as my first scoot.

Harley Davidson.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Edelmon
Cruiser

I buy "Made in Texas" first, "Made in US" second, and if I can't find either of those then I will get what I need. I drove japanese cars and motorcycles in my younger days, but wouldn't buy either now. You can still get american owned appliances such as Whirlpool, big ticket items like furniture can still be found with "Made in USA" stamped on it. Computer companies such as dell are assembled in america from foregin parts. These days it's truly a global economy, so I buy local whenever I can.
So this brings up another question in my mind. Would you buy a Chevrolet from another country? I'm not talking about a Mexican made Malibu for instance, but something like a Chevy Lumina from South Africa? I'd buy one in a heartbeat and have it shipped over if I could. Hell you can get one just like Earnhardt raced, Black, 350 cubic inch, 6 speed, rear wheel drive that runs great on unleaded (regular) gas, and includes a bowtie on the grill... Oh, wait, we can't get unleaded anymore - EPA screws up everything....
http://www.chevrolet.co.za/content_d.../1F/index.html

Old 02-02-2007, 01:48 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bought my harley because that is what I wanted could care less about where it was made and yes I shop walmart as with most people I am looking for the best bang for the buck, and I find that is most of the time made other places -- now start the flame

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/98A4A6F77C7749A888936D9C5BBB032D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Are you guys 'that' patriotic about everything else in your daily lives?