General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who doesn't run passing lights? Does it really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012 | 11:24 AM
AmericanMuscle
|
Tourer
Default Who doesn't run passing lights? Does it really make a difference?

I am thinking about saying the heck with the traditional fatboy look and adding two passing lamps nexxt to my head light.

How much less do LED passing lamps drawl than regular? Seems like this would greatly improve my night time ability to see and be seen in the high sun light.

Old 12-03-2012 | 12:12 PM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
I am thinking about saying the heck with the traditional fatboy look and adding two passing lamps nexxt to my head light.

How much less do LED passing lamps drawl than regular? Seems like this would greatly improve my night time ability to see and be seen in the high sun light.
I have an '06 Heritage with stock headlight and the passing lamps add a great deal to visibility, I believe. I put the Silver Star bulbs in all 3 lights and the passing lights are more visible than the headlight. The better headlight bulb gave me better visibility, but I think the passing lights make me easier to see by a bunch.

Also look at the rear turn signal conversion to running lights. You replace the amber lenses with red and buy a kit that lets them function as running lights and turn signals. It improves your visibility to cars coming from behind pretty dramatically.

Old 12-03-2012 | 12:53 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I added passing light to my Fat Boy. Once I upped to 55W halogen bulbs....... WOW!!! Well worth it.

Old 12-03-2012 | 01:14 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

It's a sporty, not a Fat Boy, but I'm sure the effect is the same. These little halogen running lights really help the low beams; unless I'm running higher speeds on a 2 lane, I prefer just using these with low beams, light up beside the road much better (this is deer country, too, so I don't like high speed night runs). They're wired so they only work with the low beams. I'm sure they're more noticeable to cars, too.

Old 12-03-2012 | 01:41 PM
kamut
Tourer

They help a lot with daytime visibility on my Road King. I don't think they help a whole lot at night though. Not sure about LED vs. regular bulbs.

Old 12-03-2012 | 02:15 PM
FLHPete
Cruiser

I always run with the passing lamps on - high or low beams, day or night. I also ride with the high beams on during the day. I too have the turn signal conversion and consider it a no-brainer upgrade - cheap, easy and looks cool too!

Old 12-03-2012 | 02:41 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

My LED headlight, tail lights and passing lamps are easily the best mods I have made, well worth the money.

http://www.customdynamics.com/ http://www.class8truckparts.com/cate...FUKd4Aodng4A3g

Old 12-03-2012 | 03:29 PM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg

My LED headlight, tail lights and passing lamps are easily the best mods I have made, well worth the money.

http://www.customdynamics.com/ http://www.class8truckparts.com/cate...FUKd4Aodng4A3g
I want the LED headlight. None of the mods to the stock one really make it more effective. I think it only improves the chances of someone coming at you seeing you - the passing lights don't add much to my visibility of the road.

Old 12-03-2012 | 03:38 PM
Rick-e
Road Master

I like the passing lights, but for a different reason. A number of years ago I was on a lonley stretch of interstate at night when my headlight went poof!. Total darkness at about 75mph, not a good feeling at all.

Old 12-03-2012 | 03:42 PM
jjames
Tourer

The leds are on my wish list but for now I've got the standard headlight with passing lamps. I've ridden bikes with and without passing lamps and they do improve vehicles visibility of you but the biggest thing to me is they greatly improve your visibility of the road at night. I can see much more with my low beam and passing lights on than with my high beam and passing lights off (I gotta figure out how to do the mod to keep passing lights on).

Quick Reply: Who doesn't run passing lights? Does it really make a difference?