General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride using earplugs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,913 Likes on 815 Posts
Default RE: First ride using earplugs.

ORIGINAL: Phil K

I play guitar thru a Marshall....no earplugs for that or my bike and i hear great.Now as for my eyesight...well..gettin' old sucks!
How many years you been doing that? For me it's over 20 of playing LOUD Heavy Metal music through cranked Marshalls, and a couple with my Hog. My hearing has definitely suffered from the loud music. A few years ago, I bought custom molded earplugs with filters in them for playing, and I ALWAYS wear plugs (or the noise isolating Shure headphones with music at low volume) when riding.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-02-2007, 12:02 PM
shortfatboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ihave a few Buddy's that have to have everything repeated twice because they didn't wear earplugs for 20 years.
that's me, from years of running open header dirt race cars, no plugs...I prefer the rubber reuseable plugs

Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did we go from ear plugs to ear wax build-up?[:'(][sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

Hope you guys wearing earplugs don't get into an accident.

Those can be a liability issue that they can use against you. I can just hear the cagers lawyer now - "How could he hear the car - or anything for that matter."

Old 02-02-2007, 04:02 PM
wingt50dw
Road Master

I started using them on long rides. It seems that I lose a sense of speed when I have them in, but they are much better for long distances. I will be cruising with my plugs and look down and be going 90 or 95 and it feels like I'm not really moving that fast. I don't wear them around town because I like tto listen to my pipes.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hearing loss takes a long time to add up. do yourself a favor and wear the plugs now.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,913 Likes on 815 Posts

ORIGINAL: Speedkingnick

Hope you guys wearing earplugs don't get into an accident.

Those can be a liability issue that they can use against you. I can just hear the cagers lawyer now - "How could he hear the car - or anything for that matter."

All I hear if I don't wear plugs is extremely loud wind noise. The plugs actually make it easier to hear things such as sirens and horns.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-02-2007, 05:16 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The plugs don't make it so that you are totally deaf, you can still hear. They just prevent damage to your hearing. NOT wearing the plugs is what will make you deaf. I ignored all the warnings when I was young and now I have to live with the hearing loss. It's a gradual loss that you won't even notice till one day your wife gets pi$$ed cause you're always asking" what did they say?" or "what?". I just spent $4,000.00 on hearing aids that I would rather have spent on something else(engine mod's, vacation, used Sporty to rebuild, etc.) Anyone that wants can poo-poo the ear plugs, but be forewarned and don't say "nobody ever told me" I was stupid, don't you be.
Ride safe (with plugs)[sm=rant.gif] rant over

Old 02-02-2007, 06:51 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ******

Lots of folks think their hearing will be bad isf they have plugs in. What they don't know is only the load irritating sounds are reduced , you can actually hear better in a loud environment with plugs in.
Not in my experience. I hate wearing earplugs. They make me feel like I have a bad head cold. On a longer trip, if the wind noise is bad, I'll put one in on the windward side; a compromise that still allows me to hear out of the other ear.
It puzzles me, though, as to why someone wearing a full face helmet would feel the need to wear ear plugs. I have a full face that I have worn on super cold days, and it completely eliminates harsh wind noise.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:15 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Not all helmets will do that.

Quick Reply: First ride using earplugs.