General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:05 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Harley-Davidson Disappointed With Union Vote

http://www.brainbucketmagazine.com/N.../sid=1043.html

Here's some info on Harley's Labor Woes
http://www.brainbucketmagazine.com/N.../sid=1044.html

Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Tomorrow will tell (Friday)
(stock is dropping)

Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

My 'puter at work won't allow me to access the brain bucket site so I can't say too much without reading the articles.I do know that Harley employees have some of the highest paying and most secure manufacturing jobs in this country. I wonder how many of them realize that?

Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever heard of getting greedy? I was a machinist once. never did anything for me except take their dues every pay day. I read the proposal and the benefits were great.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:43 PM
jimbo21165
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't it say something like....No out of pocket expense for insurance? Doubling the 401(k) contribution of the company? Three 4% raises during the contract?

I wish my insurance was free, and my 401k match was doubled!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 02:48 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, here's the article;

Harley-Davidson Motor Company expressed disappointment at the union vote yesterday that rejected a proposed new collective bargaining agreement for employees and authorized a strike at its final assembly operations in York, Pa. A strike at the facility is expected to occur as early as 12:01 a.m. February 2, when the current contract expires.

As a result of the pending strike, production of Touring and Softail motorcycles at Harley-Davidson's operations in York has been suspended.

"We are obviously disappointed by the union's decision," said Fred Gates, General Manager of Harley-Davidson's operations in York. "The proposed contract was structured to help manage future costs that could be detrimental to our business over the long term," Gates said. "While Harley-Davidson is a strong company today, we don't want to find ourselves in ten years in the same position that the Detroit auto industry is in now."

The proposed contract provided for a four percent wage increase in each of the three contract years. Two percent of the increase was dependent on the union accepting the Company's salaried health care plan or another plan that would save the Company an equal amount of money. The Company's union employees in York currently pay no premium for health insurance coverage and minimal out of pocket costs. The proposal would have doubled the Company's 401(k) contribution match and would have provided a special monthly retirement supplement for certain employees who retire during the contract period. The proposal also would have instituted a second-tier wage and benefit plan for new employees hired after February 2, 2007. For example, under the two-tier structure, new assembly worker hires would have earned $18.25 per hour in the first year of the contract, compared to $20.78 per hour for current assembly workers in the first year of the contract.

Harley-Davidson production employees in York are represented by International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) Local 175.

Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE: HOG - News) is the parent company for the group of companies doing business as Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Buell Motorcycle Company and Harley-Davidson Financial Services, Inc. Harley-Davidson Motor Company, the only major U.S.-based motorcycle manufacturer, produces heavyweight motorcycles and offers a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories, apparel, and general merchandise. Buell Motorcycle Company produces sport motorcycles in addition to motorcycle parts, accessories and apparel. Harley-Davidson Financial Services, Inc. provides wholesale and retail financing and insurance programs to Harley-Davidson dealers and customers.

Source: Harley-Davidson Press Release

Old 02-01-2007, 02:50 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Rejected proposal aside, does anyone know what the workers union is wanting in turn? If, in fact, they regard the current propsal as unacceptable? Just a question.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
jimbo21165
Banned

I THINK they want all new hires to come in at the prevailing wage, and not at the proposed 2-tier rate.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DANG!!!! PC police stopped me to! Maybe it's time for Harley to look at the southeast area for a plant. We don't have the issue with the unions. They might even be able to lower the price, and increase profits at the same time! Hey.. like my sig says... "will work for chrome"

Finally got to read the article.. All I can say is Willie G, please come to NC. We have empty furniture and textile factories, and a willing workforce. I'm sure $15.00 a hour would make the assembly people happy!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

how come they aint askin for a free bike each year as a Christmas bonus....fire em all...restructure in the south with new folks...lower the price abit to us loyal HD buyers...Harley aint goin nowhere, cept maybe overseas cause of employee greed....i hate unions, the cancer of the American workforce...long overdue for the boot

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles