General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:10 AM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

ORIGINAL: George C

To the union supporters,
Just what does the union offer?
Labor?

I can guarantee you that Mexican or Chinese labor is just as good, and probably more productive at less than a thrid of the price.
If the union thinks that Harley will not consider an overseas move, I hope they are paying attention next time they shop their neighborhood Wal-Mart. Scan the shelves of American name products such as RCA, Dunlop, Kodak, etc.

American business is driven by the bottom line to the stockholders. If Harley Davidson is to survive, and insure they can compete on a level playing field, they better avoid the mistakes that Ford and GM have clearly made.
Remember what you just spewed when your job is taken because you wanted to make a decent living wage with health care for you and your family.

And no one from my family will enter Walmart, they do not care for the way Walmart treats their employees. You know a company has to be pretty low when the employees need food stamps and community subisidized health care to make ends meet.

AFL CIO Local 367 Plumbers and Fitters

Personally I prefer that the Union do the negotiating so I can focus on simple things like maximum productivity and craftsmanship.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:10 AM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Unions have far outlived their usefulness. They are the ruins of Detroit my home town and the sole reason the auto makers are moving overseas and anywhere that isn't in Michigan. I say fire them all, close the plant and move the operations to the South like North or South Carolina or Georgia. These three states will gladly accept and be honored to have the HD plant here.

Back in 1980 I had a friend who worked for GM. His sole job was to paint safety lines around machinery. In 1980 he made $79,000.00 per year plus benefits for walking behind a striping machine. 79 G's to perform a minimum wage job and you wonder why GM is in the spot it is now, friggin unions.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Sean
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

And no one from my family will enter Walmart, they do not care for the way Walmart treats their employees. You know a company has to be pretty low when the employees need food stamps and community subisidized health care to make ends meet.
This is funny.....I qualified for food stamps for my first seven years in the military. I was an E-6 for 2 years before I made enough not to qualify anymore. I never did draw any...I just couldn't do it because we could stretch things out to make it. So will you refuse to support the military now because some of them qualify for food stamps???

Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 AM
bosnmate
Banned

Here, Here Sean I was there with you too!! I guess it is good enough for us, but not good enough for people who have done nothing to help preserve the freedom of this country.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 AM
ProudandLoud
2nd Gear

your right jimbo no outta pocket expense cause its 3.9% of that 4% anual raise and double the 401k? sure all you gotta do is double your imput! AWSOME DEAL thanks for your imput!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 AM
ProudandLoud
2nd Gear

sorry 3.9 of the 4.0 is wanted for healthcare

Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 AM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sean

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

This is funny.....I qualified for food stamps for my first seven years in the military. I was an E-6 for 2 years before I made enough not to qualify anymore. I never did draw any...I just couldn't do it because we could stretch things out to make it. So will you refuse to support the military now because some of them qualify for food stamps???
If you are unable to see that the two cases are entirely different then I will be unable to explain it to you.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Point Man
Cruiser

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...l/16603279.htm

Old 02-02-2007, 10:17 AM
bronk
Road Master

Yep.Unions are killing the american enonomy every day.Sad to say but its true.MOCO should just wipe their hands of them and start over.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
SquishFace
Road Captain

To answer the question: NO. I'll pay chinese-bike prices to ride a chinese bike. When harleys are built overseas I won't buy the product.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles