General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:37 PM
christian0632
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Far as I'm concerned, unions are worthless and so is any collective bargaining agreement. And union reps are worthless pieces of sh*t. I speak from personal experience. The union has done nothing for my spouse who is a government employee.

I say shut the damn factory down and stop production. Come see the fit and finish on my bike and then tell me what a great job their doing. Those workers are stupid to let some fat a** union creep dictate their future. Do they really think they can get everything they want without any backlash? Yup, I can see it now in the headlines: "Harley Davidson opens multi-million dollar factory in Mexico, shuts down factories in US".

Keep your eye on the Ford Motor Company. That's the same path Harley is heading down.

And please don't come back and tell me what the union is good for. I know what they are good for: collecting union dues and telling me that Goober on the assembly line is worth $25.00 an hour even though he's only got a 6th grade education but is "so skilled".

Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 PM
dansworld
1st Gear
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

reply to txharleyguy2007. The union did not ask for anything new except to keep what they have. To keep what the co. promised them seven years ago. If the company was about to start loseing money the union workers would be the first ones to agree to making concessions. Nobody should think if the union agrees to this contract that they will be getting cheaper harleys. If corporate really thinks that there is a problem maybe they shouldn't be building a 190,000,000 dollar museum. I mean if they are really worried who needs a museum. I don't think you should be down on the union for trying to keep what they have. Those snippets that harley davidson puts out for the public to read are not always what they seem.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
dansworld
1st Gear

as you can see we are doing that as we speak. Thanks for the support. Oh yea sorry about the switch.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
scarnay
Road Master

http://www.whtm.com/abc27videopop.hr...utdown0201.wmv

Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
powerman
Cruiser

Before you bash the union make sure you have all the facts not just the company's side. They most always want to give a little take a lot. If they are really concerned about the future of the company they should cut the upper management and CEO salaries. 15 millionor so isinsane for any salary.

CWA Local 3805

Old 02-02-2007, 12:59 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain

I agree with POWERMAN if I figure right at about $20. per hour the average hourly worker at Harley makes a little over $40,000 a year, how many of the upper management would work for that small amount. If it wasn't for the six figure and seven figure salaries of management, companies wouldn't be going broke. Not to mention the upper management that make in the millions. If it wasn't for the unions, we would all still be making $1. per hour and owners would be even richer.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimbo21165

Didn't it say something like....No out of pocket expense for insurance? Doubling the 401(k) contribution of the company? Three 4% raises during the contract?

I wish my insurance was free, and my 401k match was doubled!!!
Sounds like a reasonable offer to me,I don't see what the Union's problem with it is,perhaps there's more to the story.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:57 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey, its all relative. Unions force wages up, things get more expensive, union force wages and benefits up, things get more expensive. Fact of life. I wish my son could get $20 an hour here in So. Utah, maybe he could buy a home of his own.

And what's wrong with a two tiered pay system? Government employees have always had to deal with so called step raises, and most every job I've held has paid less for starters than for experienced, more productive employees. I mean, how many production mistakes will a new hire make that the company has to eat?[8D]

Old 02-02-2007, 02:06 AM
cajunman831
Tourer

union people get paid to much anyway.they can ruin a company.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

...union employees in York currently pay no premium for health insurance coverage and minimal out of pocket costs. The proposal would have doubled the Company's 401(k) contribution match...

Wow!!!...my monthly health insurance premium is over $700 and we have major out of pocket expenses still. Also, my agency pays $0 into my 401(k).[:@] I guess unions have their place and I won't debate anyone about them but sometimes I wonder if they have blinders on to the rest of the world.

Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles