General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Cav
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

ORIGINAL: byersmtrco

Everybody blames AMF alone for the shitty motorcycles of the 70's. You can also thant the union pukes that were assembling bikes (less one piston) or leaving a 3/8 wrench in the transmission top cover.

I saw it !!! I was a kid, but I saw this **** at Sam Arena Harley Davidson in the 70's
everyone blames AMF but really people should than them. If it wasn't for AMF stepping up to the plate , exremely good chance Harley wouldn't be here today...funny how people forget H.D was going bankrupt
That's a fact. Sure, AMF didn't "understand" the motorcycle business, but their involvement meant a big infusion of cash that allowed for the replacement of a lot of antiquated machining and assembly equipment that dated to the '30's or before. AMF modernized H-D's factories in a way that they could not have done themselves...it was only the "process" and design that suffered as a function of just being another "recreational product" like a golf cart or a bowling pin setter to them. I liked my shovels...all three of them...once I ironed them out myself. A factory AMF H-D was just a good piece of raw material until you "finished" it. Today, you buy a finished product and only modify it if you want to. Then...you pretty much had to.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:12 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

Tomorrow will tell (Friday)
(stock is dropping)

Stock closed up today.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hd2007

Greed ? The main sticking point is health care , can you blame someone for wanting to take care of there family ? Comments like that are whats wrong with this country .
ORIGINAL: KeithB

Sure does sound like greed [:@]
Beg to differ...lots of responsible people expect to contribute to their company's health plan...I know I do and have with every job I've ever had, including at three acute care hospitals. Get over the idea that somebody owes you this...they don't. A health plan is not an entitlement...and if you don't contribute, you have no vested interest in helping to maintain your own health, thus deferring the cost of care.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Health care is a growing problem not only for corporate America but for small businesses too. I blame greedy lawyers, junk malpractice suits and, to a lesser degree, doctors. This is a HUGE issue now and will be for years to come. The last time I heard, (and I’m sure it’s higher now) the medical industry was a two-trillion dollar industry in this country! That’s a lot of health care money.

I can see the workers point regarding the two-tier pay scale. If the workers agreed to the two-tier pay scale, what’s to stop the company from replacing the senior workers with the newcomers in the near future and thus adding more profit to their bottom line?

Sounds like a can-o-worms but I do hope both sides can reach an agreement. This is definitely bad news for the folks waiting on their Softail and Touring scooters.

Regards,

Jack….the Night Crawler

Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Everybody blames AMF alone for the shitty motorcycles of the 70's. You can also thant the union pukes that were assembling bikes (less one piston) or leaving a 3/8 wrench in the transmission top cover.

I saw it !!! I was a kid, but I saw this **** at Sam Arena Harley Davidson in the 70's
I had an AMF Harley, 1978 1/2 FXS Lowrider. Never had a problem with it. A great bike. Bought it new and kept it twelve years and, as I recall, about fifty thou miles.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cav

everyone blames AMF but really people should than them. If it wasn't for AMF stepping up to the plate , exremely good chance Harley wouldn't be here today...funny how people forget H.D was going bankrupt
That's a fact. Sure, AMF didn't "understand" the motorcycle business, but their involvement meant a big infusion of cash that allowed for the replacement of a lot of antiquated machining and assembly equipment that dated to the '30's or before. AMF modernized H-D's factories in a way that they could not have done themselves...it was only the "process" and design that suffered as a function of just being another "recreational product" like a golf cart or a bowling pin setter to them. I liked my shovels...all three of them...once I ironed them out myself. A factory AMF H-D was just a good piece of raw material until you "finished" it. Today, you buy a finished product and only modify it if you want to. Then...you pretty much had to.
You got that right Cav. AMF saved harleys backside with a big influx of money, nothing wrong with a good shovel, but as you said sometimes you just had to debug it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/1586571E22A141AABD323F3BCACB54B0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Harley workers are not overpaid. Harley bikes are not overpriced, otherwise we would not be buying them, price is set by the market. Harley continues to make a very good profit. Harley stock is still a good investment. If health insurance is the issue, this is another argument for universal health insurance. Not only for poorer americans but also for corporate america. Harley has consistently had very good employee relations and I think this will be resolved to the satisfaction of both sides. I support the workers, they did a very good job on my bike. I also support the moco because I like thier products and I own thier stock.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Bear64

ORIGINAL: Cav

You got that right Cav. AMF saved harleys backside with a big influx of money, nothing wrong with a good shovel, but as you said sometimes you just had to debug it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/1586571E22A141AABD323F3BCACB54B0.jpg[/IMG]
Very nice...'71 or '72?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1971, first picture of it, just got home from the dealer..he installed the straight pipes for me..in them days we had a 30 day warrenty and that was that..but a good dealer would go a little for you..3 years later it didn't look the same. today, I would have to say, I ruined it[&o]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/709CA7A13D6642AEAC3CA458C14BFFF6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Stash
Tourer

From experience I can tell you that a two tiered pay system will not work. I know what your thinking...."new employees know what they will be paid before they start...don't like it...don't take the job." After a few years, the younger employees become more involved in union affairs as the older ones step down. They begin to think " Hey, I'll never make what my co-workers are making. The next contract involves merging the two tiers, and it becomes ugly. The older workers will take a huge hit in order to bring the other workers up in salary.

Two-tiered pay systems are not the way to go. And it would be easy for today's workers to say "hey, it doesn't effect me...letthe newguy's worry about it later." But sooner or later it will bite you in the a$$.

If this is the holdup of the contract, I'm with the workers.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles