General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

To the union supporters,
Just what does the union offer?
Labor?

I can guarantee you that Mexican or Chinese labor is just as good, and probably more productive at less than a thrid of the price.
If the union thinks that Harley will not consider an overseas move, I hope they are paying attention next time they shop their neighborhood Wal-Mart. Scan the shelves of American name products such as RCA, Dunlop, Kodak, etc.

American business is driven by the bottom line to the stockholders. If Harley Davidson is to survive, and insure they can compete on a level playing field,they better avoid the mistakes that Ford and GM have clearly made.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:50 PM
ddud
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

I kinda like the idea that a decent wage paid man/woman built my bike when I riding down the road around 80 or so, gives me a little warm fuzzy. Some of you would rather have wal-mart building your rides....not me!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:54 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

how come they aint askin for a free bike each year as a Christmas bonus....fire em all...restructure in the south with new folks...lower the price abit to us loyal HD buyers...Harley aint goin nowhere, cept maybe overseas cause of employee greed....i hate unions, the cancer of the American workforce...long overdue for the boot
I agree. President Reagan fired all the air traffic cotrolers and things are just fine. Get rid of the union. Lower the wages to $12.00 per hour with production bonuses. keep the free health care and cut the price of the damn bikes!! It's getting out of hand!! Us riders should get together and make our own union......The UOCFP... The union of cheaper F@#$ing prices!!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you think all those 07's are making noise now.....just wait.....lot of disgruntled workers.
Gary D.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 PM
ddud
Novice

I agree. President Reagan fired all the air traffic cotrolers and things are just fine.

Are they now! Maybe you should spend a little time looking into that before making a comment like that.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
jackj
Banned

I just pray this is not the first step toward CHINA, and don't think that can't happen.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM
kgjl
Tourer

What the hell are you guys thinking? The unions are the last bastion against corporate greed. The MOCO is making record profits, and asking for concessions from the men and women who made the company what it is. You do not always get the best from the lowest bidder. I.A.M. PROUD.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:08 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

That decent wage is already high plus the benifits they already receive.That is why our rides cost so much.Union workers greed have brought many corporations into moving locations or closing down.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Cav
Road Warrior

"While Harley-Davidson is a strong company today, we don't want to find ourselves in ten years in the same position that the Detroit auto industry is in now."

The proposed contract provided for a four percent wage increase in each of the three contract years. Two percent of the increase was dependent on the union accepting the Company's salaried health care plan or another plan that would save the Company an equal amount of money. The Company's union employees in York currently pay no premium for health insurance coverage and minimal out of pocket costs. The proposal would have doubled the Company's 401(k) contribution match and would have provided a special monthly retirement supplement for certain employees who retire during the contract period. The proposal also would have instituted a second-tier wage and benefit plan for new employees hired after February 2, 2007. For example, under the two-tier structure, new assembly worker hires would have earned $18.25 per hour in the first year of the contract, compared to $20.78 per hour for current assembly workers in the first year of the contract. "

Damn skippy, MoCo...good call. The demands are ridiculous and the ruin of more than one company already. No contribution to your own health insurance indeed. Asinine. Time for some people to grow up. Your employer is not just a bit tit.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: solorider

Harley employees have some of the highest paying and most secure manufacturing jobs in this country. I wonder how many of them realize that?
Maybe they'll have the displeasure of finding out after they loose them? The union should reconsider. If not, MoCo should go forward without them.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles