General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:23 PM
tater2stock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

how come they aint askin for a free bike each year as a Christmas bonus....fire em all...restructure in the south with new folks...lower the price abit to us loyal HD buyers...Harley aint goin nowhere, cept maybe overseas cause of employee greed....i hate unions, the cancer of the American workforce...long overdue for the boot
Couldn't agree more or have said it better myself.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Not going to get into the whole Union vs unprotected labor argument due to so many folk who suffer from a kneejerk hatred of them.

But my question to HD management is "why don't you just get it over with and move your assembly plants to China?" Who's kidding who? That's where the majority of accessories are made. Just picked up a switch housing last night and you guessed it, Made in China.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

how come they aint askin for a free bike each year as a Christmas bonus....fire em all...restructure in the south with new folks...lower the price abit to us loyal HD buyers...Harley aint goin nowhere, cept maybe overseas cause of employee greed....i hate unions, the cancer of the American workforce...long overdue for the boot

What he said!!! Greedy ****ers

Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was gonna say what the punisher said. I'm glad I have my bike already. I don't wanna be one of those waiting however long to get my bike. Maybe a lot more used bikes will start to sell if this strike goes on. As far as what they want, it doesn't bother me. Hold out for what you want or you may never get it...

Old 02-01-2007, 05:00 PM
GhostBagger
Tourer

Does this make myUltra rare andhistoricas its nowout of production ?

GhostBagger.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having work for UPS for 36 years, union and management, this contract they turned down was a very good contract. The days of free healthcare are over with. No company can afford that anymore. Double the 401(K) is worth it to accept it. And since when did seniority workers care about new people and their wages? Their crazy for not accepting this contract.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this out............ http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.aspx?Symbol=US%3AHOG , as usual as a Corprate American Company doesbetter, they want to take from their employees and give them less and less benifits.

All of the benifits that the Union Workers have were previously barganed for and agreed upon.
Sounds like INDIAN GIVING, but that is my opinion.

Who do you think is being greedy???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

regardless of what you think of Unions, Pro or Con, this seems to be another case of the middleclass trying to protect what it has while upper class take more for themselves. Its happening in every sector of our economy. So the workers would lose some health care, and probably have to pay a percentage of it. While new hires start lower, and in most two tier systems, NEVER catch up to what current workers make.

Pro or Con...We ARE IN A RACE TO THE BOTTOM, AND ONLY CORPORATIONS WIN!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

I am a retired union pipefitter (Local 274 Jersey City Pipefitters,NJ) and it would appear that the negotiations are currently underway. I dont believe the contract runs out until midnight. I've been through this about 15 times and most times issues were resolved before the deadline. Of course we don't know what the issues are that the boys are unhappy about....they may be entirely justified with their demands. When its contract time, both management AND labor play their hands to their fullest extent.....it usually is'nt cost effective to go out. Always remember that there are two sides to every issue.
Dick

Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Everybody blames AMF alone for the shitty motorcycles of the 70's. You can also thant the union pukes that were assembling bikes (less one piston) or leaving a 3/8 wrench in the transmission top cover.

I saw it !!! I was a kid, but I saw this **** at Sam Arena Harley Davidson in the 70's

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles