General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:31 PM
dansworld
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

To solorider: The wage is $20.00 not $27.00. Seven years ago the company told the union workers that if the union would help the company reach its goal of being a very profitable co. by building so many bikes in that period that the company would pay the workers health insurance, and pay a fair wage and whatever else the company agreed to. So for 28 guarters the company has had record profits, even when the economy was on a down turn. So now they decide they want to take back what they promised so they can put more money in the ceo's pockets. They don't want to take this away so they can sell you a harley at a cheaper price. They could do that now. It only cost the company about $1,300 to build a bike. I know most who read this won't belive that but thats the truth. I know when I read that in a report put out by the company I felt like a sucker for buying into the dream. I paid $21,000 for my bike, my 65% american made parts harley davidson. It sounds like most people are jealous that the workers make a decient wage and have their medical paid for. If you stood up and said no when your employer decided to screw you maybe your medical would be paid for too and you would be making a wage that you could live a half decient life. I don't fault anyone for making the living they are entitled to. Not even the ceo's. Just don't take what I have worked for and been promised, to get yours. This is for my son who's fighting for the american dream.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Default RE: Harley-Davidson Suspends Production of Touring and Softail Motorcycles

ORIGINAL: g money

Go after the health care providers and bring costs back down where they should be.They bitch about their insurance premiums but leave surgical instruments in your body when they sew you back up!
What a fowl attitude. Sew yourself up next time. [8D]

Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 PM
dansworld
1st Gear

To christian0632 I would not be that stupid to accept a bike that was not 100%. Why would anyone pay that much money for a bike that wasn't right. At least those workers know what to look for when they pick up their bikes.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

It is time the union folks join the rest of the nation. I have always paid some of my health care cost. And every job I had started me out at a lower wage than the rest of the employees. Hell I have the highest paying BS degree and have everything that HD wants the union to accept. The notion that it is expected to get free health care is crazy. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NO COST HEALTH CARE. Someone is paying it. Even Medicaid is paid by your taxes. Shifting the cost burden of health care from the employer to the employee is what all companies are doing to stay completive in the Global economy. Dow Chemical has a huge operation down in Texas where I live and this is something that they are doing. The health care cost of Union employees is what is killing GM and Ford. If they don't get a hold of it they will not be here in 20 years. HD is trying to avoid what is killing the US auto industry. You can thank the rest of the world for socialized health care. In the end it is all the same. Either your taxes are higher because your county pays for your crappy health care, or you can pay for it, taking home the same money, and maintain our country vastly superior health care system. It is going to happen whether you like it or not.
18.50 straight time with 5-10 hours of OT per week is pulling down around 50K. Not to bad a wage if you ask me. Especially a non college graduate. Hell that is higher than my Pharmacy Professors made when I was in pharmacy school. They only pulled down 36k. The following year the graduates were making more than the teachers they learned from.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Axeman
Intermediate

I live in NY and free healthcare is a thing of the past, except at very few companies that I know of. I was a union member at one point and now I am management. I've lived both sides. I pay a little more for healthcare every year and it stinks. That being said, I don't expect my company to eat all of the annualincreases passed on to them.

The 401K sounds great.

I do disagree with the lower entry rate. They should keep it the same and maybe drag out the time it takes to get to full rate. 4 years or so. Annual raises would remain.

I have my first Harley ordered for May. The first thing that came to mind was am I going to get it on time or at all. The second was will it be a quality product. I want the builders to be focused on building safe bikes, not pissed off at management.

Do me a favor and keep your fingers crossed. Mine are!

Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 AM
ProudandLoud
2nd Gear

the lo down on the 401k is the moco will match 50% of your first 6% only if the moco shows a +11% ebit for that month, and if you retire from the managment ranks you get 100% LIFETIME PAID healthcare, i wonder how many are going by what they hear from the moco and have no clue of the REALITY of whats going on?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:27 AM
jimbo21165
Banned

Well, some of those guys should strive to be in MANAGEMENT.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:08 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

I'm doin' the same thing with this HD strike thread as I did with the other one in this forum.

OK boys, I reckon this one is going down the tubes with the usual union vs non-union bash-a-thon. If you wanna play with that end of the strike, there is already a thread in PROD. Go there & have all the fun you want. This one is locked.