General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the term 'wallet biker'?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnerthedog
I still have velcro on my wallet
If you have Velcro on your shoes you know you're ready for a trike.

The following users liked this post:
Czracer (09-16-2023)
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
I just made an offer on that bike Thanks for linking it!

I'm guessing they won't accept it because I would have to pay it in two equal payments of $30 each

Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manninagh
It is a term of disdain used by ********* who think you can only be an authentic biker if you are blue collar, had to pawn your last possession to own a bike, and do all your own wrenching. Otherwise, apparently, you are a RUB (rich urban biker) whose machine is a "wallet bike" only ridden at weekends in the summer in the dry. This, by the way, is regardless of the mileage you put in.

There's a lot of envy out there. An unattractive emotion, I always feel.
Not envy, pity is more like it. I paid cash for my bike, albeit used, and do all my own maintenance, for no other reason than it's too easy. Nothing on a Harley is so complicated that you need the dealer to do it.

I call them credit card bikers, same thing. When the temps drop below 60, rarely do you see anyone but the hard core out there.

Riding a bike is so much fun, and economical, I can't see why everyone isn't out there year round,, snow permitting.

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 11-25-2012 at 01:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Czracer (09-16-2023)
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
Okay, I get it. I worked on fighter jets in the Marine Corps, worked as a civilian auto mechanic and other technical jobs while I went to college and earned a degree. I know how to turn a wrench as well as anyone but since I now have a career that affords me the opportunity to own and ride a Harley and pay someone else to get their hands dirty, I am somehow unfit to own my bike?

Right...
And I'm in the same boat as you, but just because I can afford to pay someone to do it, doesn't mean I'm going to, I just flat out don't trust anyone else to wrench on my 2 wheels.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanek9freak
Riding a bike is so much fun, and economical, I can't see why everyone isn't out there year round,, snow permitting.
I'm mostly on the "economical" part in winter - my bike will get about 4 times the mileage of my truck going to work and back, due to the starting and short distance, so I ride it to work all I can.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
Okay, I get it. I worked on fighter jets in the Marine Corps, worked as a civilian auto mechanic and other technical jobs while I went to college and earned a degree. I know how to turn a wrench as well as anyone but since I now have a career that affords me the opportunity to own and ride a Harley and pay someone else to get their hands dirty, I am somehow unfit to own my bike?

Right...
No, you don't get it. If you did, you wouldn't think it's about whether you can afford to pay somebody and you wouldn't think it has anything to do with whether you can fix cars and jets.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

This topic is stupid.
We are all the same and doing the same thing once we are sitting on our bikes and twisting the throttle going down the road.
It's when you get off the bike and open your mouth that decides what and who you really are as a human being.
Being critical of what someone chooses to wear as to the point of labelling them is being a busy body.
Criticizing how others keep there rides in shape, be it clean, having a shop do all the work on it or how, when or how far you ride is also being a busy body. Just ride, it ain't no big deal, just ride.
Mind you're own business...it what a real biker does.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

"Wallet Biker"

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wallet Biker (often referred to as "poser") is the name of a Harley biker who has excessive cash income to dealer maintain and upgrade without hesitation. Also, the "Wallet Biker" has no need to bitch in regards to how expensive Harley maintenance and upgrades cost. This is quite often frowned upon by the ghetto type hardcore DIY biker who eats Mac-N-Cheese for a month to save enough money for a new set of Apes.

The moral of this definition ? Just STFU and have a little kind respect for each.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Aren't you a happy load of holiday cheer , bet your the show stopper at the office Christmas party too.
Just making a point based on "data" instead of hubris, of which there's no shortage 'round here... My fellow boomers have done their thing and many have moved on to other interests. BTW, a lot of the more recent "growth" in US two-wheeled bike sales and registrations are the "dual sport" and the "scooter" markets. We also lost an icon from the Macon, Georgia M/C community last weekend, motorcycle safety advocate Delmar Singleton when he was mowed-down by a motorist while simply stopped at an intersection. A vivid reminder that the motoring public continues to be less aware and a greater risk to motorcyclists.

About the part when you said nobody wants to be a biker anymore ? read up in here some there's all kinds busy trying to be or at least appearing to be one.
OK, let's assume you're right. So what?

Forget assumptions about non-motorcycle riding public perception or other touchy-feely emotions, how is your livelihood or quality of life negatively impacted by posers, wallet bikers, wanna-bes or anyone else who rides a Harley for any reason?

They get all kinda pissed off when the obvious part about not being one gets pointed out to them too .
No, I think people get pissed-off when they believe they've been unfairly judged or labeled and will either: (a) blow it off, (b) impeach the judge's credibility, or (c) make an appeal by offering up their "bona fides". As the usual suspects who live for these threads chime in, they become the ubiquitous "us" vs "them" divisions that rile emotions and drive all other discourse.

This is obviously not unique to "whose a real biker" discussions (check out the political, cycling, or auto enthusiast forums), but it's what causes these threads to live on well past their usefulness beyond consuming idle time... kinda like really bad reality TV shows rife with conflict.

But, WTF do I know...

I'm just killing some idle time on a 29°F Sunday morning in-between eating breakfast, watching the NFL network, and flirting with my lovely wife before hitting today's "to do" list in earnest.

Last edited by FXD_TG; 11-25-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,404 Likes on 8,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Road_Clam
"Wallet Biker"

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. by the ghetto type hardcore DIY biker who eats Mac-N-Cheese for a month to save enough money for a new set of Apes.
It's still on there?? I put that up 2 years ago!!

Quick Reply: What is the term 'wallet biker'?