General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the term 'wallet biker'?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
troop8520
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha ha ha , heck call me whatever you want to.... I really don't care. I have a sweet American made bike that moves my soul. I don't care if I am a yuppie, poser, wallet biker, or whatever other names exist, because when the first warm day hits....I will be riding! New or used Harley's ....its all good and I am living the dream!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ok, now I know what a wallet biker is.

But what I really want to know is what is a "bandana biker"? I see lots of them. Are they just covering up there bald spot or trying to look tough?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by wilburz
ok, now I know what a wallet biker is.

But what I really want to know is what is a "bandana biker"? I see lots of them. Are they just covering up there bald spot or trying to look tough?
I wear a bandanna so I won't burn the top of my scalp when I don't wear a helmet. Also I wear it as a helmet liner when I do wear one. If you've never burned the top of your head, then you can't appreciate it. bandannas are cheap and convenient. I wear it when I ride. When I don't, I take it off. It's hardly a fashion accessory for me.

Just like my riding jackets. I don't wear them if I'm not riding.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

We all care about how we look to some degree. There are definitely fashion niches in the motorcycle world. Although there are exceptions, sport bike riders are supposed to wear FF helmets and fashion rules for cruiser riders is bandanas, half helmets with fake DOT stickers, or stuff with skulls on it. It would look kind of silly for someone riding a sport bike to be wearing a bandana or Bell Custom 500 half helmet and fingerless gloves. Many cruiser riders would be afraid to wear a FF helmet because of the perceived dork factor. So, I think the new riders will buy what they think will make them fit in--sometimes they end up looking like they broke into the Village People dressing room.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
jcruz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was called a RUB the other day, and took it as a compliment. Told the person it sure beats the alternative, being a PUB (poor urban biker). Maybe these folks have to express themselves in a derogatory manner as a form of self rationalization; otherwise, I just don't get it. Oh well, I better get back to counting my $$$$.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
We all care about how we look to some degree. There are definitely fashion niches in the motorcycle world. Although there are exceptions, sport bike riders are supposed to wear FF helmets and fashion rules for cruiser riders is bandanas, half helmets with fake DOT stickers, or stuff with skulls on it. It would look kind of silly for someone riding a sport bike to be wearing a bandana or Bell Custom 500 half helmet and fingerless gloves. Many cruiser riders would be afraid to wear a FF helmet because of the perceived dork factor. So, I think the new riders will buy what they think will make them fit in--sometimes they end up looking like they broke into the Village People dressing room.
I disagree with your post. I have seen sport bike riders wearing bandannas and Harley riders wearing FF helmets.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I disagree with your post. I have seen sport bike riders wearing bandannas and Harley riders wearing FF helmets.
No need to disagree, but I've seen the same. The former looking stupid and the later looking smart.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 PM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These topics are nothing if not entertaining. The whole labeling thing matters only to those who use them and those who let it bother them.

I try to do most of my own work on my bike, but don't have the skill/tools to swap the tires - so I pay to have that done by a pro. I wear what I like when I ride, whether it be a tank top and skull cap w/fake DOT sticker, or FF + armored gear (haven't found any that fits right). Ride in engineer boots, SWAT boots, Five Fingers - it all depends. Have bought bikes on credit, but paid for my current one all cash. I sometimes wear a bandana on longer rides, but I also wear one to the gym in the mornings to hide the bed head. I would like to have a 2nd bike - a Panigale - but am saving for kids' college $$ instead. I have no interest in whether I fit a category. I just like to ride.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WetSider
These topics are nothing if not entertaining. The whole labeling thing matters only to those who use them and those who let it bother them......I have no interest in whether I fit a category. I just like to ride.
Couldn't agree more. I've put years of blood, sweat, tears, and a shitload of miles into my obsession with motorcycles. My "category" does not change that.

If one guy thinks I'm scum because I have a 20 year old spray painted bike that I have rebuilt half a dozen times in my garage, selling my car and eating mac-n-cheese for weeks to save up for engine parts. then so be it.

If one guy thinks I'm a rub because I have a shiny new 2009 RG that I ride to my office job that has a dress code. then so be it...

It kinda sounds like I fit both categories though... so who do i get to hate?!?!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Funny thread. lol.

Quick Reply: What is the term 'wallet biker'?