General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward vs mid controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:27 AM
markbrumbaugh
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward vs mid controls

hey you guys with the forward foot controls. Does this impact you much on your ability to stand on the pegs for bumps or slow speed? I'm considering the 1200C and was just wondering. You can tell I've never ridden one (yet).

Old 02-01-2007, 09:31 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Forward vs mid controls

i love my forward controls. You could aways leave the mid pegs for a second place to put you feet and to stand on.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

It would very much impact your ability to do this. Keith's idea is pretty good, but for a beginner, having two peg locations, and only one with controls, could cause trouble/confusion in one of those "ohhhh ****" situations.....

Old 02-01-2007, 10:39 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my forwards, I haven't had any problems standing on them, but I don't need to too often cause my bike came with a seat. I left my mids on for leg position options.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:54 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

I can only speak to my experiences with my Triumph Speedmaster as I haven't gotten my HD yet. To be able to get off of the seat I had to pull myself up with my arms which meant that steering imputs were pretty much out of the question while I was off the seat. Also depending on the bump the bike had a tendency to jump up and whack me in the nads! Fun, fun, fun.

That being said I plan on putting forward controls on my bike. While forward controls tend to be bad for your back they're good for the soul.

-Hugh

Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I can get up off my forwards to at least get my bum off the seat. One reason I haven't put on extended. You can't go by what others say cause it's all about the bike and your size. Walk into the dealer. Unfortunately, you can sit on the bike with the salesman holding the front wheel/handlebars, but I wouldn't try to stand up off the bike like that. I'd go in, sit on it, have the salesman hold it to see if you think you can, and best of all, try and ride one..

Old 02-01-2007, 01:05 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a big expansion joint problem on 635E in Dallas. Actually lifts the entire bike off the ground. So I time it to stand up a bit after the front tire whacks the 'speed bump'. Works for me, but I think some cagers believe it looks like I am being flipped off the bike.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't ride mid controls...feel too cramped. For big bumps (where I haven't been able to slow down enough), I just pull back on the handlebars to raise up off the seat. Worked so far.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:29 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love forward controls. Plus it makes it easier to paddle your bike around in parking lots as you're not getting your feet tangled up with mid-controls.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my 6th bike and the first with forward controls. On my other bikes I always lifted my self off the seat, when I was coming up on a bump,pothole,etc. It was something that I did automatically, never gave any thought to it.
On the Fat Boy I stay seated. Out of curiosity, a couple of times, I experimented and lifted my butt off the seat. It seemed likeI took the bump harder, since the seat would come up and hit me fairly hard.Maybe it was because I was actually thinking about what I was going to do and not doing it instinctively. It is like when some one tells you to walk normally. If you have to think about walking, you don't walk the same.
Tom

Quick Reply: Forward vs mid controls