General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes you gotta laugh at yourself...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 AM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sometimes you gotta laugh at yourself...

I was moving a couple of the bikes and stuff around in the garage. I decided to listen to a CD in the Street Glide while I was working. So I put my key fob on the front brake lever. Pushed it up the handle to the very top.

Decided to go for a ride when I was all done. Off I go. Just as I hit 60 MPH I see something moving out of the corner of my eye. Ah @#$@, there goes the fob sliding off the handle. As I reach to grab it I hit the kill switch..., the bike shutsdown in traffic. I immediately flip it back on, but no joy, I coast to the side of the road. I walk back up a ways and there lies the fob in a traffic lane. I get to eyeball it for two seconds before a semi runs over it.

Ever see a keyfob explode??? I did find all of the parts. Thankfully I do have my security code memorized. That would have been the final insult to not be able to start the bike.

I get home and inspect the stuff I picked up. The outer case looks like it was in a rock tumbler. The circuit board had some minor scratches, hmmm. Put in back together with a new battery. Damn it still works!

I had to snicker, sometimes you just have the damnest stuff happen, usually your own fault.

Last edited by WIHD55; 11-21-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

see, now you can make lemonade out of lemons. you get to be the only one with a custom key fob case you could even colormatch it

Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

they say you should laugh every day . not sure they meant at yourself , but whatever works for you

and hey , at least you didn't drop the bike !

Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 AM
FLTRU4ME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I admire a person who can take a bad moment and see the humor in it.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

then they say these new Harley are not built to last..... this keyfob is semi-proof!!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,187 Likes on 6,716 Posts

So, you can lob your fob into a mob, turn it into a gob, and still not sob?
Nice job, Bob.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,161 Likes on 12,216 Posts

That was God saving you from a horribly disfiguring accident up the road.

That's how I look at those things anyway.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

With a face like mine, most definately there Porkchop.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM
green one
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story and ending, I always put my fob on the brake lever . Guess i better find a better place, clutch maybe! lol.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WIHD55
I was moving a couple of the bikes and stuff around in the garage. I decided to listen to a CD in the Street Glide while I was working. So I put my key fob on the front brake lever. Pushed it up the handle to the very top.

Decided to go for a ride when I was all done. Off I go. Just as I hit 60 MPH I see something moving out of the corner of my eye. Ah @#$@, there goes the fob sliding off the handle. As I reach to grab it I hit the kill switch..., the bike shutsdown in traffic. I immediately flip it back on, but no joy, I coast to the side of the road. I walk back up a ways and there lies the fob in a traffic lane. I get to eyeball it for two seconds before a semi runs over it.

Ever see a keyfob explode??? I did find all of the parts. Thankfully I do have my security code memorized. That would have been the final insult to not be able to start the bike.

I get home and inspect the stuff I picked up. The outer case looks like it was in a rock tumbler. The circuit board had some minor scratches, hmmm. Put in back together with a new battery. Damn it still works!

I had to snicker, sometimes you just have the damnest stuff happen, usually your own fault.
I'm thinking of disabling my security system. No where I go needs it and one day it won't work and I have no idea what my code is or how to use it. Hold left/right blinker at the same time, spin around in a circle, touch your nose, something like that.

Quick Reply: Sometimes you gotta laugh at yourself...