General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh my move is over & the bike got a dent!.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012 | 10:23 PM
TO34
|
Road Warrior
Default Ugh my move is over & the bike got a dent!.. :(

So my household goods finally showed up, and off comes the bike now mind you this is a military move so it should be "professional" but alas I should of known better.

They never boxed up the bike, just rolled her in & strapped her down. I had to stop them from using the spot lamps as tie down points. I'm not pissed but I sure as hell knew something was seriously amiss. Oh well anyone know any good paint & body guys in New Jersey? Between the movers insurance or my own it will get fixed. Side note they caught holy hell from the wife they destroyed her Dyson Vacuum cleaner....

Old 11-19-2012 | 11:04 PM
jjames
Tourer

First off sorry about the bike...I would definately have had problems with the movers. My wife however also would have totally flipped if they screwed up her Dyson, she friggin loves that thing.

Old 11-19-2012 | 11:08 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

make sure you file the forms!

Old 11-19-2012 | 11:12 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

have you allready paid the bill???I would be cautious how things got handled here on out.If they packed you and loaded you they should pay unless some thing inthe contract prevents certain damages

Old 11-19-2012 | 11:17 PM
jjames
Tourer

If it was a military move, at least the ones that I know of they pack up everything and drop it off at your new place. If they show up to pack you and you have trash in the garbage in the kitchen or bathroom, that trash will be in the bin when you get to your new house...they take just throw everything in and the bill is paid by Uncle Sam.

Old 11-20-2012 | 01:33 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

You should get reimbursed for the damage. When my bike was shipped via TMO in my household goods to England I ended up with a chip in the rear fender. Nothing huge but definitely damage from shipment. I contacted my local TMO office to file a claim and they had me call around to some shops and get a quote. I found a shop that dealt with bikes and got a quote for paint including labor to remove and install the fender. Submitted the quote from them with the claim and was paid for the whole amount.

Now I'm about to ship mine back in household good when I move to back to the States and am hoping it goes ok coming back.

Old 11-20-2012 | 04:21 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Side note they caught holy hell from the wife they destroyed her Dyson Vacuum cleaner

That sucks!

(Sorry; couldn't resist!)

Old 11-20-2012 | 06:21 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by dickey
Side note they caught holy hell from the wife they destroyed her Dyson Vacuum cleaner

That sucks!

(Sorry; couldn't resist!)
I'm thinking the problem is that it DOESN'T suck...

Old 11-20-2012 | 06:25 AM
garand
Road Master

Originally Posted by TO34
So my household goods finally showed up, and off comes the bike now mind you this is a military move so it should be "professional" but alas I should of known better.

They never boxed up the bike, just rolled her in & strapped her down. I had to stop them from using the spot lamps as tie down points. I'm not pissed but I sure as hell knew something was seriously amiss. Oh well anyone know any good paint & body guys in New Jersey? Between the movers insurance or my own it will get fixed. Side note they caught holy hell from the wife they destroyed her Dyson Vacuum cleaner....
Battle, don't tell me you were surprised that your goods were damaged during a military move. Sometimes I wonder how they make any money with all the claims. BTW, don't go to a body shop for repairs. Get a quote from the dealer and have the part replaced with a factory OEM part.

Old 11-20-2012 | 06:29 AM
BeansBaxter
Intermediate

When the military moved us, they used a contractor (Mayflower I think) it was a good move and nothing got broken. However, I've heard a lot of horror stories about everything you can imagine getting broken.

Quick Reply: Ugh my move is over & the bike got a dent!.. :(