General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop's Response ( flat spotting)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop's Response ( flat spotting)

I shot off an email to Dunlop a few weeks ago in regards to the thread on flatspotting in storage . Here is there response .

Good afternoon,
flat spot can occur if the bike just sits on the tires for a long period of time.,
We recommend overinflating them some and getting them off the ground.
The treatment that tires receive during extended periods of inactivity may directly affect their mileage and performance.
**Try to avoid frequent and varied extremes of temperature during storage.
**Do not keep tires next to radiators or sources of heat. Tires subjected to these conditions will age more quickly than those stored
in a cool, constant environment.
**Tires stored in direct sunlight for long periods of time will harden and age more quickly than those kept in a dark or dimly lit
area.
**Do not store tires where electric motors are present. The high concentration of ozone will accelerate tire aging.
If you do need additional information or assistance, please contact Dunlop Tire Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378
thank you,
Virginia Gallant
Consumer Affairs Representative

"Dunlop Tire"
<website@dunlopmotorcycle.com>
&

Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dunlop's Response ( flat spotting)

Nice post, good info

Old 01-31-2007, 08:51 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

But it was only flat on a little tiny spot on the very bottom, right?

Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

The ozone thing is interesting... I never would have thought of that... With all my woodworking equipment in the garage there is a LOT of ozone activity... I wonder if the concern would only be if ventilation was poor?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Think they are literally correct... keep electric motors (and high energy elec. devices) away from tires/rubber. And, that merely being in the same room as long as it is reasonably ventilated is not an unusual risk to the materials. Keep em away from very closeproximity to electric motors for extended periods of time. Otherwise don't worry. Your woodworking machineryshouldn't bea problem unless you ran a motor for a long time right next to the tire... which is unlikely.
ORIGINAL: went_postal

The ozone thing is interesting... I never would have thought of that... With all my woodworking equipment in the garage there is a LOT of ozone activity... I wonder if the concern would only be if ventilation was poor?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:35 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd have to say I'm a bit surprised with there response . I never had any flat spot that I could tell of after storing in the off season . Same goes for my camper ,cargo trailer or even the boat trailer I used to have . All have radial tires which I felt were imune to this .
Now if your talking about the bias ply tires sure not uncommon at all . Especially those cheap Farm & Fleet branded tires I used 30 yrs ago . They would flat spot overnight . After a couple of miles they'd smooth right out .

As long as there's ventilation I doubt that ozone should be a concern . They just don't want you to store it where there's a constant ozone source .
Like the owners son at my work , he stored his V-rod in the compressor room . So imagine a room about the size of a 3 car garage , no ventilation andtwo 100+ gallon compressors running fairly steadily . Want to smell some funky air open that door . I should take a good look at his tires . [:-]

Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

Uv light ages everything, including us. If you keep anything in the dark it will look like new forever...

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Ah, so that's why old Roveris holding upbetter than the rest of me!
ORIGINAL: Hogaholic

Uv light ages everything, including us. If you keep anything in the dark it will look like new forever...

Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: High Gear

I'd have to say I'm a bit surprised with there response . I never had any flat spot that I could tell of after storing in the off season . Same goes for my camper ,cargo trailer or even the boat trailer I used to have . All have radial tires which I felt were imune to this .
Now if your talking about the bias ply tires sure not uncommon at all . Especially those cheap Farm & Fleet branded tires I used 30 yrs ago . They would flat spot overnight . After a couple of miles they'd smooth right out .

As long as there's ventilation I doubt that ozone should be a concern . They just don't want you to store it where there's a constant ozone source .
Like the owners son at my work , he stored his V-rod in the compressor room . So imagine a room about the size of a 3 car garage , no ventilation and two 100+ gallon compressors running fairly steadily . Want to smell some funky air open that door . I should take a good look at his tires . [:-]

My project car has flat spots on the tires... USUALLY they will wear out after about 10 miles of driving. But since the car gets driven so infrequently the tires are taking one for the team.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

SMOKE EM...it'll round them backs out real quick

Quick Reply: Dunlop's Response ( flat spotting)