General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012 | 10:54 AM
Mark_H
Road Master

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
How many states have made marijuana legal to some degree while Federal law still prohibits its use ?

Yeah, I know the Feds are finally pushing back, but the laws DO exist.

Don't you hate that ?
Once again, this is incorrect. Yes there are a few states now that allow medicinal marijuana and now 2 that allow recreational. The federal law still considers it illegal. Just ask all the medicinal marijuana shops down in Las Vegas that constantly get raided and shut down by the Feds.

Colorado is expecting it to take at least a year to come to some type of compromise with the Feds so people do not get busted under federal law.

The people can vote in a law, the state can call something legal in their jurisdiction, but if it is against federal law they can still bust you. Just comes down to whether it is worth their time and money and who is running for election.

Old 11-21-2012 | 11:31 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, so now we're talking about smoking dope, let me throw yet another subject at you. What do you guys with a CCW (CPL) do with your hand guns when riding through Illinois?

Old 11-21-2012 | 11:33 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Ok, so now we're talking about smoking dope, let me throw yet another subject at you. What do you guys with a CCW (CPL) do with your hand guns when riding through Illinois?
Easy, I dont ride through Illinois.

Old 11-21-2012 | 01:50 PM
larry bart
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
There are no private vehicle inspection requirements in FL.
Then you would not be allowed to ride that bike in Texas cause we do have inspestion stickers

Old 11-21-2012 | 02:49 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by larry bart
Then you would not be allowed to ride that bike in Texas cause we do have inspestion stickers
Only applies to bikes and cars registered in TX.

Old 11-21-2012 | 03:50 PM
Sauceman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Markk9
Only applies to bikes and cars registered in TX.
Correct.

cheers

Old 11-21-2012 | 04:24 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Pretty easy to be legal. Unload the gun and put it in a case. Even a saddlebag or tour pack may count as a case but you might end up in court to argue that.

Old 11-21-2012 | 04:53 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by crackerbiker
It is unfortunate that the OP got cited under the statute as the statute was revised this year by Chapter 2012-184, Laws of Florida. I believe the new statute takes affect January 1, 2013. The revised statute no longer prohibits a license plate that may is moveable.

The OP may wish to appear before the judge to explain that it was original equipment, he had no idea that the statute prohibited his license plate, the license plate was not folded in and was at all times visible, and the statute was revised leading one to conclude the State recognized that such a prohibition was not necessary. Good luck.

The new statute reads:

(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and remain clearly visible from the rear at all times. Any deliberate act to conceal or obscure the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle is prohibited. The license tag of a motorcycle or moped may be affixed horizontally to the ground so that the numbers and letters read from left to right. Alternatively, a license tag for a motorcycle or moped for which the numbers and letters read from top to bottom may be affixed perpendicularly to the ground. Notwithstanding the authorization to affix the license tag of a motorcycle or moped perpendicularly to the ground, the owner or operator of a motorcycle or moped shall pay any required toll pursuant to s. 316.1001 by whatever means available.
The revised statue took effect Sept 1,2010 not 2013

http://www.sinclairlaw.com/go/news.release/id/47

Old 11-21-2012 | 05:08 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Harley dropped the ball on that plate mount...I knew the first time I laid eyes on one, it was illegal in several states. Harley constantly copies the aftermarket...and they didn't do any research on that one. I know several people who have received tickets.

Old 11-21-2012 | 05:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hal64hd
The revised statue took effect Sept 1,2010 not 2013

http://www.sinclairlaw.com/go/news.release/id/47

No, that 2010 revision to the FL statutes made vertical plates legal again.
If you read the third paragraph, it still clearly says 'flippable" plates are illegal.

The new law regarding "flippable" mounts goes into effect in 2013.

Quick Reply: Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder