General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012 | 12:49 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Yes - that falls under inter-state regulation, which they do have jurisdiction over.

well, maybe a bit more. If you are a pilot, own a GA aircraft and never leave the state that you are in, you are still required to follow all the FAA (part of the DOT) part of the CFR that pertains to your plane's condition, maintenance and your operation of it, even your medical fitness to retain license to fly.

Old 11-20-2012 | 12:51 PM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Yet where I live they all have inspections from here or the surrounding states by the dealers that sell them. It's a requirement.
I was going to ask this question of those in states that require inspection. In CA, we only have Smog check for cars - we don't have inspections for either. So if the car passes Smog, it can be transferred. We don't have it for bikes (yet), so there is no requirement to transfer title.

In states that do have inspection, is the dealer required to renew it even it is current? In CA, I think it is 90 days for the Smog check to be valid for a title transfer, so the dealer generally has to get it to pass at least to sell the car.

Old 11-20-2012 | 01:06 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Militarization of the USA.

Old 11-20-2012 | 06:56 PM
T2K5
Advanced

Originally Posted by extrememoto
Greetings,
I was enjoying my Sunday afternoon ride down here in Miami FL today. Next thing you know I saw blue and red lights flashing from my rear view mirrors. The cop approached my bike and started folding the license plate and rudely asked me "who installed this, this is illegal". I tried to explain it is standard factory equipment from HD but he didn't want to hear about it. He issued me a citation which requires me to show up in court. Has anyone experienced this? I am still stunned several hours later. I don't understand why the cop gave me a hard time over something so ridiculous and if it is indeed illegal how can HD sell tons of bikes with the same set up?
Do I stand a chance in court? Need some advise.

Thank you in advance.

2011 v rod muscle.
2012 Iron 883.
OP stated that he is required to show up in court, so he can not just pay the fine. Pay a traffic lawyer. There are plenty here in Florida. Worth the $70-$80. I have a 2012 Muscle that has a factory folding plate. Maybe I have been lucky, but have not had a problem in over a year of owning the bike. Ride all over Florida, Miami, Keys, Daytona, Etc. The law was passed in 2008 due to many sportbikes installing flip up kits or bending up the plates, so cops could not read them when they ran. I would get the spec sheet and take photos of the plate in both positions. Try and plead your case with the judge, he should cut you some slack if you are honest and have a clean record. You have to go to court anyway. By the way, the fine for that is $1000.00 for the first offense. I don't see him giving you that fine. If he does not throw it out, ask him if he will give you some time to change it, since you bought the bike new like that and did not know you were doing anything wrong. I would not sweat it to much. I have been to traffic court here in south Florida often, also if the cop does not show up, they will throw it out.

Old 11-20-2012 | 07:03 PM
NightHunter
Tourer

Typical Cop !! having nothing better to do than harass the general Public!! now if you were speeding that would be differant but NO!! then they wonder why some people feel the way they do towards LEO's It's a frickin licenses plate holder, come on people wake up- !!

Last edited by NightHunter; 11-21-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2012 | 08:47 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP

State laws cannot contradict federal laws.......
How many states have made marijuana legal to some degree while Federal law still prohibits its use ?

Yeah, I know the Feds are finally pushing back, but the laws DO exist.

Don't you hate that ?

Old 11-20-2012 | 08:58 PM
edilgdaor
Banned

Originally Posted by NightHunter
Typical Cop !! having nothing better to do than harass the general Public!! now if you were speeding that would be differant but NO!! then they wonder why some people feel the way they do towards LEO's

But that's just my opinion,
Around here (Napa Valley), the cops get grant money for "Motorcycle Awareness Month", which they use to ticket motorcyclists for equipment violations. Just being aware of how much mor revenue they can grt from motorcyclists.

It's not about safety anymore. Follow the money....

Old 11-21-2012 | 07:15 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by NightHunter
Typical Cop !! having nothing better to do than harass the general Public!! now if you were speeding that would be differant but NO!! then they wonder why some people feel the way they do towards LEO's It's a frickin licenses plate holder, come on people wake up- !!
OOOh. That hurt. Been a cop all my life and hate guys like this. We call 'em Jury f*ckers. No wonder some people hate us. My advice would be try and avoid the inconvenience of going to court by going to his station and make an appointment to see the supervisor in charge. Present as a reasonable person and take the bike specs with you. It should be fairly easy to check your local statutes on the internet. I was in charge of a major station for many years and if someone came in with a beef like that I would cancel the ticket (after speaking with the writer) Some times there are 2 sides to a story.

Old 11-21-2012 | 09:17 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

State laws can absolutely differ from federal laws, but federal laws always overrule state laws. If a state, county, or city cop catches you in Colorado with less than an ounce of weed, it's no crime. If a fed gets you, they can charge you.

Old 11-21-2012 | 10:44 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MJR28
OOOh. That hurt. Been a cop all my life and hate guys like this. We call 'em Jury f*ckers. No wonder some people hate us. My advice would be try and avoid the inconvenience of going to court by going to his station and make an appointment to see the supervisor in charge. Present as a reasonable person and take the bike specs with you. It should be fairly easy to check your local statutes on the internet. I was in charge of a major station for many years and if someone came in with a beef like that I would cancel the ticket (after speaking with the writer) Some times there are 2 sides to a story.
Seems to me that if it's against the law, and the cop gave him a ticket for it, the cop was doing his job. You were in charge of a station and you have a problem with a policeman doing his job by issuing a citation to someone that isn't in compliance with the law? Why oh why were you ever in charge? Here all along I thought the police were there to enforce the law. I guess foldaway plates aren't a concern to you....till someone shoots someone from a bike with a flip down bracket, and gets away with it because nobody could read the plate. Would that be OK with you? I'll bet you just hate it when your patrol officers issue tickets for blacked out windows to.

Quick Reply: Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder