General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012 | 09:18 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP

LMAO, I like your response to his incorrect and misleading comments better than mine!
I was too lazy to type a long-winded response on my IPhone. SJ Ron

Old 11-20-2012 | 09:20 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP
I hate when people try to "state" the law when they really have no idea what they are talking about...........

State laws cannot contradict federal laws.......but the states do reserve the right to make their laws and statutes STRICTER than federal law......

Therefore, if federal law "DOT" doesn't say anything about adjustable/movable plates being legal, the state reserves the right to make them illegal.

And as I recall, the DOT isn't a judicial agency, they cannot tell the judicial system what they can and cannot "enforce".

So this can sink into some of your heads..........lets put it this way: Federal DOT law does NOT have a helmet statute........yet some states elect to make them mandatory for motorcyclists. You're telling me that this is unconstitutional!?!?!?! How about cell phone violations!? No DOT regulation on that, yet some states ban them from use during operation, is THAT unconstitutional?
Great post. To add to what you said, DOT regulations cannot be a Federal Law, as the constitution does not give the Federal Government this control. It is similar to the Fed push for seat belts, raising the drinking age, lowering speed limits. The Fed has to "encourage" the states to pass their own laws by threatening to withhold federal tax dollars to the state, but cannot directly enact a law to do so.
If the Federal Government tried to pass such a law, it would be unconstitutional. It is not unconstitutional at the state level, as the state constitution has much broader powers.
In the end, a state cannot override a federal law (it can't restrict a right granted by the US Constitution) such as freedom of speech or religion. It can pass a law that is within the bounds of the state constitution that doesn't violate the US Constitution (helmet laws, cell phone laws, murder, etc...)

Old 11-20-2012 | 10:09 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master

Great post!

To bring it back to the original topic:

OP, your dealer selling you an adjustable license plate mount on your new bike doesn't put them at any type of liability in this situation. While it would have been "nice" of them to advise you that the mount was illegal in your state, they are not legally binded to do so (unless otherwise stated in the contract you signed, I would take a good look at it.).

I'll agree, that cop was being a dick for enforcing such a statute, but it is what it is, can't fault the guy for doing his job. If you genuinely feel like you are not guilty of this charge, I suggest pleading such and appearing before a judge. The best advice I can give you is try not to be some self-taught lawyer while in front of the magistrate. Just tell him exactly what happened. While ignorance to the law isn't a defense, the judge may have some empathy and reduce the fine or dismiss the citation.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2012 | 10:14 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

OP
Listen to half of these internet legal experts, and their advice is so bad you could very well end up with a sentence of life without parole for a misdomeanor! You were illegal. When and if the law changes in January, you will still be illegal when you got the ticket. Pay the fine, fix the bike and be done with it and whatever you do, don't come here for legal advice.

Old 11-20-2012 | 10:41 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Great post. To add to what you said, DOT regulations cannot be a Federal Law, as the constitution does not give the Federal Government this control. It is similar to the Fed push for seat belts, raising the drinking age, lowering speed limits. The Fed has to "encourage" the states to pass their own laws by threatening to withhold federal tax dollars to the state, but cannot directly enact a law to do so.
If the Federal Government tried to pass such a law, it would be unconstitutional. It is not unconstitutional at the state level, as the state constitution has much broader powers.
In the end, a state cannot override a federal law (it can't restrict a right granted by the US Constitution) such as freedom of speech or religion. It can pass a law that is within the bounds of the state constitution that doesn't violate the US Constitution (helmet laws, cell phone laws, murder, etc...)

uh, wrong....regarding DOT regulations...
"Code of Federal Regulations. Title 49 encompasses regulations for domestic transportation. Issued by the US Department of Transportation, this includes all modes of transportation, rail, highway, air, and ocean. "

http://www.airseacontainers.com/hazm...s/cfr-title-49

All of Title 49 is enforacble by agents of the federal government. Some are regarding design, some operation, operators, maintenace, etc. Civil penalties may be appled to any violation of 49CFR, regardless of part.

DOT also publishes standards, such as the helmet standards, etc..

Old 11-20-2012 | 10:41 AM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior

I vote this as best post of the thread!...

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I think by the time we have all read all the "expert opinions" ( mine included ) voiced on this thread we would/might be able to pass the Florida BAR ... then we could run commercials on the "cheap" television channels, pool our money and design a "legal" license bracket ... Is this a great country or what?

Old 11-20-2012 | 10:49 AM
chrisj49
Tourer

Originally Posted by jakenok
uh, wrong....regarding DOT regulations...
"Code of Federal Regulations. Title 49 encompasses regulations for domestic transportation. Issued by the US Department of Transportation, this includes all modes of transportation, rail, highway, air, and ocean. "

http://www.airseacontainers.com/hazm...s/cfr-title-49

All of Title 49 is enforacble by agents of the federal government. Some are regarding design, some operation, operators, maintenace, etc. Civil penalties may be appled to any violation of 49CFR, regardless of part.

DOT also publishes standards, such as the helmet standards, etc..
Yes - that falls under inter-state regulation, which they do have jurisdiction over.

Old 11-20-2012 | 11:12 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
So who is responsible for making sure a dealer doesn't sale a vehicle that's illegal to be on the roads.
Get real. Half the used bikes dealers sell are illegal because of the exhaust and other mods.

Old 11-20-2012 | 11:29 AM
SandmanWV
Advanced

Originally Posted by skratch
big difference. he didn't buy the bike in a surrounding state that doesn't have that statute. he bought it in fl. any rational person would assume that if you went into any dealership in fl and bought a new bike, that it would meet all applicable laws, at that time.
I remember a few years ago here in WV, You could buy a NEW jeep liberty with a package that had off road lights on the top of the cab. The lights caused the jeeps to not pass the state inspections here. But dealers were stll allowed to sell them. It was up to you if you wanted to buy one or not. Sounds like the same thing to me.

Old 11-20-2012 | 12:28 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Get real. Half the used bikes dealers sell are illegal because of the exhaust and other mods.
Yet where I live they all have inspections from here or the surrounding states by the dealers that sell them. It's a requirement.

Quick Reply: Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder