General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012 | 05:45 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by Gruamach
The "title" of that says "centered" but I don't see that requirement anywhere in the actual statutes. Plus, as I said above, they can't contradict a factory, DOT-approved bracket. (and yes, the HD side mounted brackets all do have the white light, as that's a DOT requirement)
Actually, they can.

And they DO.

DOT is a guideline, and the individual STATES have the right to thier OWN regulations that go beyond the DOT, which is only a recomended standard min, license plates and the display of them being one of the biggest.

Old 11-19-2012 | 07:38 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Show up to court with proof that it's a DOT-approved factory thing....then after it gets thrown out, file a complaint with the department for an improper ticket because he didn't bother ensuring that he knew what he was doing.

I usually try to see the cop's side of things, but this just plain sounds like he had a burr up his ***. Your chances in court are 100%....the MoCo can't sell something on the bike unless it's completely DOT-legal. And no State/County/Municipal law can make a DOT-legal thing illegal. Therefore, he gave you an improper (and thus illegal) ticket.

EDIT: You might even be able to take that proof to the police station and ask to see his supervisor or the actual Chief (or any supervisor or above). Show them the proof that it's a factory DOT plate bracket and they might take care of it right then and there....meaning, they'll take the proof you bring and just go to the court clerk and have them nullify the ticket immediately.

I'd still file a complaint no matter what. Overzealous traffic guys who don't know the regs they're trying to enforce need a slap on the wrist some times....maybe they'll force him to take a class on motorcycle equipment and regulations as part of his Continuing Ed. requirements.
"It's factory" is not a defense to an equipment citation unless the state statute says it is (like some car exhaust statutes). If Harley's folding license plate mount or handlebars or exhaust is illegal in your state, proving Harley made it that way means nothing.

Old 11-19-2012 | 07:41 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

The "title" of that says "centered" but I don't see that requirement anywhere in the actual statutes. Plus, as I said above, they can't contradict a factory, DOT-approved bracket. (and yes, the HD side mounted brackets all do have the white light, as that's a DOT requirement)
Yes, they can contradict DOT all they want. DOT has nothing to say about state traffic laws - that's why they have to give us money to get us to adopt their recommendations as state laws.

The statute says the stock bracket is illegal and neither DOT nor HD has anything to say about it.

Old 11-19-2012 | 07:52 AM
FLTRU4ME
Tourer

I would be looking to the Florida Dealers to provide a legal license plate holder. It's like having to have all the crap on a vehicle in CA.

Old 11-19-2012 | 07:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Guitardude
Actually, they can.

And they DO.

DOT is a guideline, and the individual STATES have the right to thier OWN regulations that go beyond the DOT, which is only a recomended standard min, license plates and the display of them being one of the biggest.
+1 - State statutes can not weaken or set aside federal (DOT) statues, but they can go beyond the federal requirements.
A flippable, thus concealable, plate on a motorcycle in FL is illegal. They don't want anyone hiding from toll and red-light cameras.

Old 11-19-2012 | 07:58 AM
Johnny Nitro
Cruiser

It's unbelievable how many laws are on the books these days. Government and it's slaves will do anything to keep the plantation running. Let's make another license plate law that will keep no one safe and bring in more money! Yay!

Old 11-19-2012 | 08:11 AM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Nitro
It's unbelievable how many laws are on the books these days. Government and it's slaves will do anything to keep the plantation running. Let's make another license plate law that will keep no one safe and bring in more money! Yay!
Actually, the foldable plate bracket is not liked by the state for EXACTLY the reason someone already brought up, it makes it too easy to make it where the plate can't be seen by big brother.

We are slaves to Government because we allow ourselves to be. THAT needs to be changed, but is fodder for a nice discussion over a beer sometime SOON...not on the internet where everyone can see it

Old 11-19-2012 | 08:13 AM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by r-jay
fight it. Get one of h-ds spec sheets on that model and take it to court with you.
agreed!!!

Old 11-19-2012 | 08:20 AM
extrememoto
|
1st Gear

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Did it happen to be folded when he stopped you?
It was not folded. Cops here are not the friendliest I would not dare to do anything illegal.

Old 11-19-2012 | 09:00 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master

Seems like a few of you guys have it right, and a few of you think that complaining to a supervisor and "fighting this bs" will help...........

From one of your responses....

The new law amended Florida Statute 316.2085(3) to state: The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up.

So the Florida statute states, clear as crystal, that the plate may NOT be adjusted or capable of being flipped up. Your plate was mounted on a mount that is capable of being flipped up........where was the officer wrong ?????

Quick Reply: Citation on the factory equipped foldable license plate holder